Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is fish oil bad for a-fib?

Posted by Drummer 
Is fish oil bad for a-fib?
October 31, 2023 07:56PM
I've been taking fish oil and am concerned by an article I found on Pubmed that suggests it might actually increase the risk for a-fib. The article is from 2021, has Baris Gencer as the first author, and the title starts with "Effect of Long-Term Marine Omega Fatty Acids..." There's no paywall. It says that high doses are the most likely to pose a threat, but the product I'm taking from my coop seems to have what they call a high dose.

I had my second cardioversion recently, and I might be delusional but I'm so hoping to avoid an a-fib recurrence, at least in the near future. I've been kind of lurking here, but when I saw this article I knew this forum would be the place to get a very informed response. And if we need to be cautious about fish oil that's information worth sharing. Thanks so much for any thoughts!
Re: Is fish oil bad for a-fib?
October 31, 2023 08:02PM
Fish oil definitely brought on Afib for me. I experimented with this many times. No longer take it!
October 31, 2023 08:02PM
Eat fish or take Nordic Naturals.
October 31, 2023 08:21PM
I keep a very high omega 3 index (always > 12 and as high as 18) and it has never been a trigger for afib. I suspect like many things - highly individual.
November 01, 2023 02:56AM
Wow, I'm sorry that happened but thanks for letting people know. I'm stopping it and eating fish instead.
November 01, 2023 12:48PM
GeorgeN
I keep a very high omega 3 index (always > 12 and as high as 18) and it has never been a trigger for afib. I suspect like many things - highly individual.

Hi George, How does one calculate their omega 3 index?
November 01, 2023 03:03PM
Madeline

Hi George, How does one calculate their omega 3 index?

A blood test. These guys have what I consider to be the gold standard (though other labs offer an omega 3 index test). Here is their explanation of omega 3 index: [omegaquant.com]

I should note I neglected to put units on my numbers they are % & my doc wants mine above 12% because of my genetics (for brain health reasons). Also note that a high omega 3 intake comes with the cost of a bleed risk. As a rock climber, my arms look like somebody who takes Warfarin and their INR is out of range on the high side.

More papers on the topic: [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

More on Rhonda Patrick's Found my Fitness site: [www.foundmyfitness.com]

Harris interview with Peter Attia: [peterattiamd.com]
November 03, 2023 12:01PM
My cardiologist advised me to stay away from fish oil for this reason
November 05, 2023 05:52AM
I have also been taking fish oils for many years at around 350mg EPA per day but have just doubled the dose.
I might stop for a while and see how my Afib reacts.
I thought that the fish oils might be partly responsible for my arteries being relatively clean considering my age and diet.
Also I thought we had to be cautious with EPA and anticoagulants. Any thoughts on this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login