Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib and stroke

Posted by Dini 
Afib and stroke
October 20, 2023 02:46PM
I’ve had paroxysmal Afib for about 10 years. I was taking Eliquis only when I had Afib. Recently I had a stroke apparently caused by afib, even though I didn’t have Afib when it happened. I am very fortunate to not have any lasting effects from the stroke, and am now on a blood thinner all the time. They also added a statin because even though my cholesterol is actually pretty good it was added as a preventative measure. I’ve heard so many negative things about statins and am wondering if others have discontinued statins?
A couple more questions :
• I usually have Afib for 24 hours, and occasionally I’ve had episodes that last for 5 days. Now it’s been 6 days and I wonder if the statin if causing it to last longer?
• neuro said ablation probably wouldn’t work for me because of how many years I’ve had Afib, is this accurate?
• why do you have to wait for months after stroke before an ablation?

Thanks so much for this forum!
Re: Afib and stroke
October 20, 2023 03:12PM
Ah, the perils of anticoagulants "as needed." Afib can cause strokes even when you've been in normal rhythm for months. Now you know.

Don't take cardiology advice from a neurologist. They are wrong. If you go to a highly experienced electrophysiologist (EP), you have about a 75-80% chance of success with a single ablation. If you need a "touch up" later, your odds go up to over 90%. By "highly experienced" I mean someone who has done thousands of afib ablations, not hundreds.

It's very unlikely the statin has anything to do with your increasing length of episodes. What you're seeing is what afib does. It's a progressive disease and almost always gets worse with time. Doing an ablation before it becomes persistent is strongly advised. Once it becomes persistent it becomes much more difficult to ablate and your odds of success drop significantly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2023 05:54PM by Carey.
October 20, 2023 03:24PM
Thank you so much for the information, the neuro was very discouraging.
Do you know why one has to wait so long before an ablation after a stroke? Do you have any experience with statins?
October 20, 2023 06:00PM
Dini
Do you know why one has to wait so long before an ablation after a stroke? Do you have any experience with statins?

Probably because an ablation requires using heparin during the procedure, which is a potent anticoagulant. Even though an embolic stroke caused by a blood clot doesn't cause bleeding in the brain, it can weaken the artery it happened in so it's easier to rupture until it fully heals. A brain bleed while on Eliquis AND heparin could be catastrophic.

How long did the neuro say you had to wait?
October 20, 2023 08:46PM
They said 4 months
October 20, 2023 10:47PM
That doesn't seem unreasonable. It will take at least half that time to even get you scheduled for an ablation with a top EP anyway if you get started working on it Monday morning.
October 21, 2023 01:00AM
Dini. Could you please give me some insight into how bad your stroke was? Was your stroke in the frontal lobe? was there any aphasia from your stroke?
thank you
October 21, 2023 11:29AM
I was very fortunate. I had an issue pronouncing the end of some words this lasted for about 2 mins, then things were back to normal.
October 21, 2023 11:32AM
Technically, that's a TIA, not a stroke. Same thing, actually, just that a TIA is short and doesn't leave lasting damage.
October 21, 2023 11:40AM
The neuro said stroke after looking at the MRI. But that’s what I thought too, but neuro said there were 2 events a week apart.
I wonder if I can get them to update my records? Also, switched to Xarelto and am curious if it’s as good as Eliquis. I’ve had Afib for a week now, never had it this long and am curious if the different blood thinner has anything to do with the prolonged Afib.
October 21, 2023 11:50AM
Dini
The neuro said stroke after looking at the MRI. But that’s what I thought too, but neuro said there were 2 events a week apart.
I wonder if I can get them to update my records? Also, switched to Xarelto and am curious if it’s as good as Eliquis. I’ve had Afib for a week now, never had it this long and am curious if the different blood thinner has anything to do with the prolonged Afib.

He was just using simple language for you. If the episode lasted 2 minutes and left no residual damage, that is definitely a TIA. But if the neuro saw something on MRI, that suggests it did leave some damage even if that damage has no apparent outward symptoms. So not sure I understand what they're saying, especially since he mentioned 2 events.

No, Xarelto is not as good as Eliquis. Eliquis has better safety and effectiveness (not by a lot, just a little). The big drawback to Xarelto is it has to be taken with a meal. Not a snack, a meal. It's only advantages are it's only taken once a day vs. twice for Eliquis and it may be cheaper because Xarelto cut some very lucrative deals with insurance companies.
October 21, 2023 03:13PM
thanks to both of you for your replies. After nearly 10 years after my ablation, performed by Dr Natale, I had a stroke one week ago. I'm scheduled on Monday the 23rd to see a cardiologist and try to make sense of this.
Natale gave me my life back. I was afib free for those nine-plus years and still am. I did have occasional PVCs, but never during that time did I follow up with a cardiologist.
My bad.
Per my ER diagnosis: Acute infarction of the left middle frontal lobe with involvement of the corona radiata and part of pars opercularis. Their findings: my stroke was most like caused by my past AFib.
My only symptoms are aphasia with no body loss or dysfunction. My speech has improved greatly, but my reading, writing, and math skills are still lacking, If fact, I labored extensively just to write this.
To all out there who think they're invincible as I did, don't be fooled. No matter if you're in AFIB or years past it, continue to see your cardiologist and get monitored.
October 21, 2023 04:30PM
I had Paraoxymal AF for about 20 years, the last years I got AF more frequently but I always went back into normal sinus rhythm until the last 3 years when I went into permanent AF. I took Xeralto during those 3 years but I had a stroke the end of May of this year, my right arm/hand and my right foot have some numbness and a picky feeling. I can use them however, I do exercises to help, my balance is good and I am OK otherwise. They started to give me a Cholesterol drug when I was in the hospital, I told them that I never had high cholesterol, they didn't care, it apparently is their protocol. When I found out they were giving me that drug, I refused to take anymore, statin is not a good drug.

The funny thing was I called 911 when I was taken to the hospital and they ran tests, one of the guys came back to me and said good news you are clear, he didn't think I had a stroke. But they kept me and they later took more tests and said I had a stroke, I was told that If the test is taken very soon after a stroke, it doesn't always show up. That has always made me wonder if I really had a stroke, because when it happened I was on my lawn mower, it is a cruise control mower and I have to keep a hand on the controls at all times. I was mowing way out in the back of my property (I have 5 acres) and it was very bumpy so I really got shook up a lot and thats when I got hit. Makes me wonder.

Liz
October 21, 2023 05:57PM
I think the the right-sided numbness is pretty much proof you did have a stroke.
October 21, 2023 06:08PM
I am sorry to read that our friend had a stroke, but pleased that he can lend more credence to the wonder that is Dr. Natale. smileys with beer

Additionally, I wonder if the anticoagulant prevented several other strokes over time, different places, or helped to stave this one off for a few years.

Finally, I am really happy to see the person post, a stroke's effects notwithstanding, that he/she is coming back. Coming back from the stroke, and coming back to say hi and to share the events and outcomes to date. Very nice to see.
October 21, 2023 07:28PM
I am wondering if a wider availability for the Watchmen will make a difference in preventing strokes for those with a history of Afib, since about 90% of the culprit clots come from the LAA?
October 21, 2023 09:21PM
gloaming
Additionally, I wonder if the anticoagulant prevented several other strokes over time, different places, or helped to stave this one off for a few years.

This paper discusses post ablation afib stroke risk: [www.ahajournals.org]

"Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most prevalent chronic arrhythmia and a major cause of stroke and mortality. It is thought to confer an overall 5-fold increased risk of a cerebrovascular event, causing ≈one-third of all ischemic strokes. Half of the 2 to 3 fold higher risk of mortality among AF patients is related to AF itself, not only via fatal progression of heart failure, the most frequent mode, but also sudden death and embolic events.1,2 Importantly, AF patients who suffer a cardioembolic stroke have a worse outcome compared with stroke patients without AF.

Anticoagulation has been shown to reduce the risk of a cerebrovascular event in AF patients. However, despite adequate anticoagulation, some patients remain at risk of stroke. Whether successful catheter ablation can reduce this risk remains unclear. Although there has not been any convincing evidence thus far that AF ablation leads to a reduction in the risk of stroke, no randomized study was powered to address this question. In this review article, we discuss the AF-stroke association, as well as the apparent lack of evidence supporting the use of ablation for the specific reduction of this end point."
October 21, 2023 09:25PM
Carey said:

(I think the the right-sided numbness is pretty much proof you did have a stroke).

You are probably right, I only know that I had my right hand on the controls of my mower all the time and I was very shook up.

L
October 21, 2023 10:13PM
So George what is your conclusion? Seems like nothing for sure.

I had a cat and when I came home from the hospital and after 3 weeks of being home, my cat got Saddle Thrombosis, a stroke, the Vet said there was nothing we could do for her and that she was in a lot of pain, so I had to put her down. She was my friend for 15 years, but it is so strange that we both got a stroke. George do you have a link to that.
October 21, 2023 11:19PM
I'm very sorry about your friend, Elizabeth.
October 22, 2023 12:13AM
I had no idea the risk of stroke existed for years after a successful ablation. There are always new insights and information to be learned. I had the same concern about statins as they also put me on them in the hospital, even though my cholesterol level is good. Dr. Wants me to continue, but I also know statins are not good. Does anyone have any insight on statins?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2023 01:02AM by Dini.
October 22, 2023 01:31AM
Dini
but I also know statins are not good.

I don't think that's an accurate statement. When you look at the actual data available today for modern statins, it's quite the opposite. They are good for people who need them. Their bad rep is based mainly on old statins, old data, and a lot of just plain old rumor and unfounded claims. If you actually want to live longer and your doctor thinks you should take statins, you probably should. If it causes negative side effects, quit taking it, change dosages, or switch to a different statin. But they're not the bad drugs they've been labeled as.
Ken
October 22, 2023 09:07AM
So, if one has an ablation and no more afib, why is there an increase in stroke risk over the normal population? I was highly symptomatic when I was in afib, so I clearly know when I am not. Maybe the increase in strokes for ablated people is because some continue to have afib, but don't know it.
October 22, 2023 09:59AM
I’m sorry about your cat too Liz,

I hope you don’t ride your lawn motor anymore. You should get help at your age caring for your property. Especially since you live alone. You mentioned you were riding your lawn motor, what others don’t know is all the work you do with pruning all your trees and gardening etc.

Perhaps get one of those alerts you can push. When I was in CA and working on my yard hauling the 6 tons of river rocks (wheel barrel at a time) into parts of my backyard (I.e behind my koi waterfalls hill), nobody except the raccoons or coyotes would find me if anything happened. I would just tell someone I’m going to parts of the property that’s hidden and if I’m not in communication in 4-5 hours look for me before I become maggot food if I would faint which was common.

I don’t miss landscaping anymore. You should tell someone in advance as a heads up or hire a teenager to help as a buddy system..
October 22, 2023 11:38AM
Ken
So, if one has an ablation and no more afib, why is there an increase in stroke risk over the normal population? I was highly symptomatic when I was in afib, so I clearly know when I am not. Maybe the increase in strokes for ablated people is because some continue to have afib, but don't know it.

No, it's not because of unrecognized afib continuing. No one knows the answer to your question but they're very interested in knowing and working on it. In the meantime, the fact remains that being in normal rhythm is no guarantee you're free of stroke risk once you've been diagnosed with afib. What continues to rule is your CHADS-Vasc score. If you're above a 1, you probably shouldn't consider ever stopping anticoagulants.

People are always asking why I continued taking 1/2 dose Eliquis after my Watchman. This is why.
October 22, 2023 12:23PM
Elizabeth
So George what is your conclusion? Seems like nothing for sure.

I had a cat and when I came home from the hospital and after 3 weeks of being home, my cat got Saddle Thrombosis, a stroke, the Vet said there was nothing we could do for her and that she was in a lot of pain, so I had to put her down. She was my friend for 15 years, but it is so strange that we both got a stroke. George do you have a link to that.

On the paper, my conclusion is there is a lot we don't know. Even in someone who has never had afib, stroke risk is not zero.

I'm sorry about your feline friend. I've had feline friends for over 40 years and know how attached I get to them. I know nothing about Saddle Thrombosis. Once, I did have a cat that passed suddenly at age 7. I had my vet necropsy him and she could find nothing definite, but a stroke is certainly a possibility. I think the fact you and your cat both had strokes near in time to each other is pure chance.
October 22, 2023 03:27PM
Thanks for the link, George.
October 23, 2023 08:27AM
Is it possible the stroke risk after ablations could be somehow due to the fact that although the heart may be quieter post procedure , I (and others on this forum) can still feel very strong vibrations in top of chest.
Many times when I think I have gone into AF, when I take my pulse my HR is ok but my chest is still quivering.
Just a thought. We really don’t know all the ins and outs of AF as yet. I’d love to live long enough to see the beast put down.🫣
October 23, 2023 08:30AM
Condolences on the loss of your friend Elizabeth. They are our most loyal companions and it’s so sad when they go.❤️

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2023 08:32AM by JoyWin.
October 23, 2023 06:22PM
There's a recent paper suggesting that taking Statins may lower stroke risk for afib patients.

B=https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/taking-statins-for-atrial-fibrillation-may-lower-stroke-risk

I read both the pro's and con's of statins and decided it was the best course for me. I never found it to affect my afib, or
duration, one way or another.

You should be getting an opinion about your ablation from an ep, not a neurologist. On the face of it, what the neuro said
is wrong.

As to thinners-as-needed, there is now a multi-center trail just beginning in conjunction with Apple Watch, but with a previous stroke,
staying on daily thinners makes the most sense.

Jim
October 24, 2023 01:57AM
Thanks for the link, it was very informative. I am also intrigued by the Apple Watch trial. Someday maybe they’ll come up with a DOAC and statin that are better tolerated by those of us who are sensitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2023 02:21AM by Dini.
October 24, 2023 02:23PM
October 24, 2023 02:46PM
Dini
Thank you so much for the information, the neuro was very discouraging.

If there is any benefit to statins it is not because of lowering LDL but in reduction of clotting. People with hyperinsulinemia are more prone to clotting. There hasn't been an RCT that I'm aware of that tests statins against NOACs but likely this is overkill and bad medicine to add a statin which will reduce your immunity and lifespan. The Swedish centenarian study proves that out.

[link.springer.com]

we found that a higher total cholesterol level was associated with a higher chance of becoming centenarian, which stands in contrast to clinical guidelines regarding cholesterol levels [29] but is in line with previous studies showing that high cholesterol is generally favorable for mortality in very old age [30].

I'd pursue this path - [arupconsult.com]
October 24, 2023 04:04PM
Ken. Per my recent visit with a cardiologist, he said as much. He told me once you have afib, you always have afib. And no matter how successful the ablation, your heart is preconditioned to have either a mild case of Afib or the sort of AFib that feels like a squirrel bouncing around in your chest, which is what suffered with for years. So we have choices: anticoagulants and periodic monitoring; and or the Watchman device. Hopefully, the Watchman will become accepted by more insurance providers.
October 25, 2023 06:39PM
Ken, I like your cardiologist. He didn’t sugarcoat but instead made suggestions.
Ken
October 26, 2023 02:42PM
I have had two ablations, so my risk of stroke is higher than someone equal to me but without afib. My CHADS2-VASc score is 2 (my age of 78). With this, should I be on a blood thinner for life? I don't recall that being the standard, so what is the recommendation? My afib started in 1995 - 28 years ago, but I was only on a blood thinner for 5 years of that time, waiting or my first ablation.
October 26, 2023 03:41PM
Ken
My CHADS2-VASc score is 2 (my age of 78). With this, should I be on a blood thinner for life?

Probably, yes. It's all a matter of risk tolerance. A CHADS-Vasc 2 is considered moderate-high risk with a 2.2% chance of stroke per year (2.9% chance of stroke/TIA/systemic embolism). That may not sound high but remember, you're facing that 2.2% chance every year. When you consider the cumulative risk over a 10-year period, you're facing a 20% risk of stroke, which is plenty high enough for my tastes.
October 26, 2023 03:47PM
Everyone's risk of stroke rises as we age. With or without other comorbidities, your risk of stroke rises with each passing year. That's why we've done all the research over 60 years about coronary artery disease, strokes, and infarctions. We have learned that one or more comorbidities, of which AF is one, means the risk of a stroke taking one's life is at least twice what it would be for a standard normal distribution of all mortality risk for one's age. Statins, with a lot of quibbling still over their efficacies, and anti-thrombotics have a modest predictive component of risk reduction to them. I do mean modest....nothing spectacular just yet, not this early in their histories. However, with each passing year, and another 10K data points added, the statins don't show a significant rise in mortality reduction over what we learned 10 years ago, while anti-thrombotics apparently prevent a great many premature deaths related to atrial fibrillation-generated thromboses.

I look at it as cheap insurance, although I do appreciate that Eliquis is not cheap for a great many who don't have legacy benefits. Their acquisition and use takes but minutes every month or three.

Ken, you were on blood thinners for only five years of your history. Was that early, mid-range, or just in the past few years. My guess is that, due to your age, and due to what I have described in the first paragraph, about our learning and conclusions based on the latest evidence, it is likely that only lately has your EP/Cardio advised you to begin taking them. As our understanding changes, so does our behavior. Usually, anyway.
Ken
October 27, 2023 08:34AM
Gloaming,

I had mis diagnosed/undiagnosed afib for 5 years. Then correctly diagnosed and went on meds for 6 years with over 200 episodes of afib. Then my first ablation, so the blood thinner was for those 6 years. Now, no blood thinners for the last16 years except for a short period after my second ablation in 2020. I guess I will consider a blood thinner again and talk to my Dr. Suggested dosage? I had no issues with Eliquis when I took it.

I should add that I took Eliquis for 6 months a year ago when I had a bilateral pulmonary embolism with no source identified. The protocol was for 6 months on a blood thinner.
October 27, 2023 03:32PM
Thanks for your clarification. I dunno, the consensus here on this forum seems to be that once a person has had AF, and even if it is in remission, but especially for those older than 60-ish where we get a 1 on CHADS just 'cuz, it's a reasonable prophylaxis. Even so, one or two of our regulars here report that they are off anti-coagulants once they are deemed to be rid of AF, however temporarily it may turn out to be. And here is the conventional wisdom, that many/most of us need the occasional redo of CA over years as we get more PACs and eventually AF, that if this is what our real situation is, we'd best be on some kind of prophylaxis.
Ken
October 28, 2023 09:31AM
Some guidance would be appreciated. More info. regarding my situation. In Feb. I had an "unprovoked bilateral embolism" which called for Eliquis for 6 months (no source of the blood clots was found). Then early this week, I had a two-hour episode of afib at night, that was resolved with Flecainide (3 years free of afib since my last ablation). My GP thinks it's a good idea to go back on Eliquis (5mg x 2). I was thinking maybe a half dose, but with the reoccurring afib and the recent history of PE, maybe the full dose is the answer. I am very fit and occasionally get banged up a bit. I spent 4 days windsurfing at the Outer Banks two weeks ago and will be scuba diving next week in Jamaica. I am 78.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2023 09:46AM by Ken.
October 28, 2023 11:59AM
I'm surprised they let you stop the Eliquis after the PE since if the cause is unknown that means the cause might still be present. And now with afib on top of that I think without question you should be on a full dose of Eliquis. You're greatly overestimating the risk of Eliquis and underestimating the risk of the PE and afib. People get this notion in their head that they'll bleed out from an injury while on Eliquis and that's really quite a remote possibility. It's not as powerful as people like to think, and modern medicine is quite capable of dealing with it. In 15 years as an EMT, I never once encountered external bleeding I couldn't control in people who were on anticoagulants, and I never saw anticoagulants be a major factor in internal bleeding. I recently listened to a discussion by a trauma surgeon at NYU Medical Center, a large level 1 trauma center. He said he had never once used or even seen the reversal agents used and that's out of 18,000 patients per year. They don't consider it a big deal.

I've been on Eliquis continuously for years, and I cycle quite a bit. My risk of serious injury is far higher than windsurfing and scuba diving ever could be because if something goes wrong, I'm going to be hitting pavement or a solid object at speed. I'll take ocean water over asphalt and moving cars every time.
October 28, 2023 12:22PM
You should definitely be on Eliquis. I resisted, even when the kind cardio said they had just about to approve a remedy/antidote for the new drug. He was wrong, it turns out, although they do have a protocol for dealing with such drugs. The point is, it's innocuous for the most part, well tolerated, and only retards clotting. It doesn't 'prevent' clotting. If I cut myself, I might bleed a bit, same as before, but a compression for a few minutes, then a bandage, and stay out of the hot tub for a coupla nights...that's all it takes. I scrubbed the front of my right shin but good ten days ago...lifted a nice flap of skin when I dragged my leg over the bench by our hot tub. It didn't bleed much. Two days later, I thought I was okay to shower, forgot and ran the towel over the area. Lifted the skin right off this time. Hardly bled at all. Just sprayed with peroxide, dabbed dry, and replaced the bandage. No muss, no fuss.
Ken
October 28, 2023 03:56PM
Thanks guys for the input. I had reached the same conclusion, and the issue that kept me from loving Eliquis is that because of a few orthopedic issues, I frequently take Naproxen for pain. I do everything I want to do; it just hurts a bit when I am done. Works better than Tylenol, but I can't take Naproxen with the Eliquis. I have left over (not old) Eliquis that I will start taking tonight. Avoiding a stroke is a no brainer.
October 28, 2023 04:50PM
Ken
Avoiding a stroke is a no brainer.

Yep. As I like to remind people, death isn't the worst outcome from a stroke. It gets much worse than that.

Incidentally, I've got a similar issue to yours. I'm on Eliquis, but a couple of months ago I developed bursitis under my scapula. Hell, I didn't even know we have bursas there, but we do. It's painful as hell and it takes 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours to tame it. So I had to stop the Eliquis, which I can do safely, but I'd rather not. The real problem is one shouldn't take ibuprofen for long periods of time, and so at 1 month I switched to aspirin. At least that provides some clot protection, but I have to take more than I should (975 mg every 4 hours), which increases the GI bleed risk. I've had one steroid injection and that helped, but I need another and have to wait 2 months to get it. Rock, hard place, between.
October 28, 2023 08:24PM
After following all these great threads, I've learned a life's worth of lessons. Thanks to all for your input. After nine years of absence from Afibbers.org, I'll stay tuned in. My life depends on it.
October 30, 2023 11:04PM
I've read that statins can cause diabetes....any truth to that? Barb
October 31, 2023 03:28PM
First I have ever heard of it. Diabetes comes from severe metabolic syndrome which, in turn, comes from over-stuffed adipocytes. Your fat cells resist taking in more fat, which requires your pancreas to exhaust itself trying to produce even more, ever more, insulin to try to force the chemical reaction that makes cells store more fat. I don't see what this has to do with LDL production.
October 31, 2023 05:06PM
Cardiovascular benefits and diabetes risks of statin therapy in primary prevention: an analysis from the JUPITER trial

Background
In view of evidence that statin therapy increases risk of diabetes, the balance of benefit and risk of these drugs in primary prevention has become controversial. We undertook an analysis of participants from the JUPITER trial to address the balance of vascular benefits and diabetes hazard of statin use.

Methods
In the randomised, double-blind JUPITER trial, 17 603 men and women without previous cardiovascular disease or diabetes were randomly assigned to rosuvastatin 20 mg or placebo and followed up for up to 5 years for the primary endpoint (myocardial infarction, stroke, admission to hospital for unstable angina, arterial revascularisation, or cardiovascular death) and the protocol-prespecified secondary endpoints of venous thromboembolism, all-cause mortality, and incident physician-reported diabetes. In this analysis, participants were stratified on the basis of having none or at least one of four major risk factors for developing diabetes: metabolic syndrome, impaired fasting glucose, body-mass index 30 kg/m2 or higher, or glycated haemoglobin A1c greater than 6%. The trial is registered at ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT00239681.

Findings
Trial participants with one or more major diabetes risk factor (n=11 508) were at higher risk of developing diabetes than were those without a major risk factor (n=6095). In individuals with one or more risk factors, statin allocation was associated with a 39% reduction in the primary endpoint (hazard ratio [ HR ] 0·61, 95% CI 0·47–0·79, p=0·0001), a 36% reduction in venous thromboembolism (0·64, 0·39–1·06, p=0·08), a 17% reduction in total mortality (0·83, 0·64–1·07, p=0·15), and a 28% increase in diabetes (1·28, 1·07–1·54, p=0·01). Thus, for those with diabetes risk factors, a total of 134 vascular events or deaths were avoided for every 54 new cases of diabetes diagnosed. For trial participants with no major diabetes risk factors, statin allocation was associated with a 52% reduction in the primary endpoint (HR 0·48, 95% CI 0·33–0·68, p=0·0001), a 53% reduction in venous thromboembolism (0·47, 0·21–1·03, p=0·05), a 22% reduction in total mortality (0·78, 0·59–1·03, p=0·08), and no increase in diabetes (0·99, 0·45–2·21, p=0·99). For such individuals, a total of 86 vascular events or deaths were avoided with no new cases of diabetes diagnosed. In analysis limited to the 486 participants who developed diabetes during follow-up (270 on rosuvastatin vs 216 on placebo; HR 1·25, 95% CI 1·05–1·49, p=0·01), the point estimate of cardiovascular risk reduction associated with statin therapy (HR 0·63, 95% CI 0·25–1·60) was consistent with that for the trial as a whole (0·56, 0·46–0·69). By comparison with placebo, statins accelerated the average time to diagnosis of diabetes by 5·4 weeks (84·3 [SD 47·8] weeks on rosuvastatin vs 89·7 [50·4] weeks on placebo).

Interpretation
In the JUPITER primary prevention trial, the cardiovascular and mortality benefits of statin therapy exceed the diabetes hazard, including in participants at high risk of developing diabetes.

Funding
AstraZeneca.
October 31, 2023 07:05PM
You quote a study by Astra Zeneca, what else do you except?

Dr. B says "When any crucial biochemical pathway is poisoned, adverse effects are bound of occur. Adverse effects:

1} Muscle pain and weakness.
2) Body aches and pains
3} Heart failure
4) Cancer
5) Brain fog and dementia
6} Depression

It all comes down to physiology and biochemistry, Science does not lie. It is not in the best interest for most patients for the long term to poison a crucial enzyme such as HMG-CoA reductase. Dr. Brownstein has a whole chapter on statins he says cholesterol is not a substance to be feared, we cannot live without adequate amounts of Cholesterol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login