Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hernia Surgery with Watchman?

Posted by Poppino 
Hernia Surgery with Watchman?
October 18, 2023 12:49PM
Ok my latest issue. Ive had a small inguinal hernia 10+ yrs. No pain. Now it’s bothering me. I had my Natale flutter ablation Aug 2021. Watchman Feb 2022 by him
Tomorrow i meet with sugeon to consult. Any advice? Warnings? Im doing great otherwise. I do read hernia horror stories. Mesh?open? Pain etc

Also my wife aortic valve 8/24 is progressing well! She started cardiac rehab. Only one afib and it was 5 days post surgery. Shes off amio now
Tom
Re: Hernia Surgery with Watchman?
October 18, 2023 04:20PM
The Watchman isn't really a consideration except that it will allow you to stop the Eliquis for 5 days as I'm sure the surgeon will insist on. I had hernia repair surgery 4 months after my Watchman and Natale had no problem with me stopping Eliquis. It was for a ventral hernia (ie, the navel), not inguinal. It was done robotically and was minimally invasive, but the surgeon warned me in advance that it's the most painful surgery they do. He did not lie. It really teaches you how much you use your abdominal muscles. I don't think inguinal repair is as painful but it's still no walk in the park.
October 18, 2023 05:38PM
Thanks Carey! And im no longer on eliquis. I chose a different long term route
Now my wife’s on it lol
October 18, 2023 06:10PM
Oh, okay, then for sure the Watchman is irrelevant. I don't even bother telling people unless they're going to do imaging of my chest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login