Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First post // just had second cardio version

Posted by Willy 
First post // just had second cardio version
October 09, 2023 07:06PM
Hi Everyone, I have been lurking for a while and loved all the info. I am a 57-year-old male and just had my second cardioversion.

Before the first time I went into Afib I used the sauna on a regular ( daily ) basis and did not supplement with electrolytes. So my bloodwork showed I was low in electrolytes ( Sodium and Potassium) and I went into Afib. I could not convert on my own so I had to be cardioverted. EP put me on Carviderol plus Flecainide plus Eliquis but I had a tough time tolerating it. So after a few months, I was only on Eliquis. Two weeks ago I was traveling and it was insanely hot and humid I also took some saunas so I went back into Afib and stayed in Afib. It seems that once I go into AFIB I can not convert back to SNR. In the meantime, I also found out is have OSA and use a CPAP nightly. I also learned I have a high calcium score with Stenosis so my EP put me on Multaq.

I lasted 5 months between both episodes without a single AFIB episode

I have a few questions
- Given I that once I am in Afib I do not convert back on my own, would you be more or less inclined to do an ablation ASAP? I was hoping to keep waiting till my EP has pulse ablations which may take another 12 months.

- Given that Multaq works on blocking potassium channels, am I hurting or helping myself by taking extra electrolytes ( LMNT) with potassium?

thank you so much to anyone who has any insights
Re: First post // just had second cardio version
October 09, 2023 07:46PM
I
Willy
I have a few questions
, I have a few questions
- Given I that once I am in Afib I do not convert back on my own, would you be more or less inclined to do an ablation ASAP? I was hoping to keep waiting till my EP has pulse ablations which may take another 12 months.

- Given that Multaq works on blocking potassium channels, am I hurting or helping myself by taking extra electrolytes ( LMNT) with potassium?

Seems like both episodes were precipitated by dehydration/low electrolytes so working on hydration and taking an electrolyte supplement (there are good powdered ones) might be worth a try and give you breathing time until pulse field ablations are available. You could also ask your EP for Flecainide as a pill in the pocket (PIP) taken just when you have an episode—for many it will terminate it. It is not an off-the-wall protocol—many who have infrequent episodes take it this way.

I took Multaq and also ate a high potassium diet and extra electrolytes at the same time with the blessing of my EP.
October 09, 2023 08:25PM
I agree with Daisy. You need to get your dehydration and the accompanying electrolyte loss under control before you do anything more about your afib. If you do that and still suffer afib episodes, then it's time to go to drugs and ablation. Until then, quit doing saunas in hot weather. Drink twice as much water per day as you're drinking now. And when it's really hot and you're exerting yourself, make it even more. Eat a high-potassium diet. It's easier than you think, just google "high potassium foods." The list is full of tasty stuff, including stuff you can carry with you and eat on the run.
Ken
October 11, 2023 09:39AM
When you say: "I do not convert back on my own", what time span does this represent?
October 11, 2023 10:17AM
I went in Afib twice over the past year and both times I had to get cardioverted out each time 2-3 weeks later .
October 11, 2023 02:55PM
Yeah, that's a long time. If you're running below 100 BPM, it's not so bad...an annoyance certainly, but you can live like that indefinitely. My advisors, and ER staff, say not to be over 100 BPM for more than 24 hours, and so did the instructions post-ablation. If that happens, you should present at an ER, or call the EP if he/she'll receive direct calls.
October 11, 2023 03:36PM
I think 24 hours is a bit alarmist but yeah, don't let yourself remain above a rate of 100 for any longer than necessary. 2-3 weeks is way too long.
October 11, 2023 06:26PM
Just to clarify while I was in Afib for two - three weeks my heart rate was mostly around 90 only while walking or getting up did it go above 100 ..
October 11, 2023 07:22PM
Would 10-11 days at 180-200hr be safe or potentially weaken one’s heart? Just curious.
October 11, 2023 08:44PM
susan.d
Would 10-11 days at 180-200hr be safe or potentially weaken one’s heart? Just curious.
I don't know what the data are in this case, but ~19 years ago had a lawyer working for me on a court case that had to take disability retirement. Unknowingly he'd gotten asymptomatic afib as a result of a virus. He had a high rate (don't know the rate) for maybe a couple of weeks. I think I recall he had cardiomyopathy & heart failure. They were having a hard time getting everything optimal with meds and said practicing law was too stressful. Ablations were in their infancy. I tried to get him to go to Natale at CC, but I was unsuccessful on that sale.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2023 10:02PM by GeorgeN.
October 11, 2023 09:08PM
Willy
Just to clarify while I was in Afib for two - three weeks my heart rate was mostly around 90 only while walking or getting up did it go above 100 ..

Okay, that's not too bad and shouldn't be causing much harm.
December 04, 2023 02:49PM
At least for me a week of afib/aflutter at 100-110 Bpm wiped me out. First cardi conversion got me bac in rythem. But my regular beat is 54.
Good luck to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login