Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tyramine and not calcium as my trigger?

Posted by SimonR 
Tyramine and not calcium as my trigger?
September 26, 2023 08:40AM
A few weeks ago after reading a post on here from Steven Car I reduced my Calcium intake to 500mg/day and my daily PACs completely stopped, I then tried a small serve of Brie as it's low in calcium but within 1 hour was having my first PACs for 3 weeks, I tested this again 5 days later and had same result. I did a bit more research and found that Brie is high in Tyramine the same level as in the cheddar I had cutout with the low calcium diet. I am now thinking that Tyramine and not calcium was my trigger. Has anyone else noticed the same trigger?

Apart from the 2 times I tried Brie I have been PAC and afib free for 4 weeks.
Re: Tyramine and not calcium as my trigger?
September 26, 2023 04:35PM
Yes, over the years,for me, I have confirmed they are quick triggers and I avoid them like the plague; especially soy products. Good luck with the research. Jeff
September 26, 2023 05:49PM
Maybe try it one more time when you're good'n ready, and if you get the same result, it could only be two possibilities: stressing in anticipation of finding the AF coming back, or the actual trigger working and bringing AF back for a week or so.

If it works a third time, maybe you could approach a university that specializes in heart arrhythmias and see if they know about this or might farm a study out to a student wanting a PhD.
September 26, 2023 07:45PM
gloaming

If it works a third time, maybe you could approach a university that specializes in heart arrhythmias and see if they know about this or might farm a study out to a student wanting a PhD.

I have seen a few cardiologist websites that say Tyramine is a known trigger for arrhythmias as shown below.

"Tyramine-rich food
Researchers believe that foods rich in tyramine, such as cheese, dried yeast, red wine, bananas, and chocolate, may cause atrial fibrillation and a rapid heart rate after eating. "

And this paper in the British Heart Journal

Atrial fibrillation precipitated by tyramine containing foods.

Abstract

Episodes of atrial fibrillation that occurred after meals developed in a 60 year old man with a history of ischaemic heart disease. The attacks were precipitated by precursors and metabolites of tyramine and tyramine containing foods and drinks, in the absence of monoamine oxidase inhibitors. The patient has remained free of atrial fibrillation for the past twelve months on a diet that does not contain tyramine.
September 27, 2023 12:32AM
Thanks, that's good to keep under my hat.
September 27, 2023 03:55AM
Both Calcium and Tyramine could be triggers. People usually have multiple things which can trigger Ectopy.
September 27, 2023 08:43AM
Most Tyramine rich foods are also Histamine rich. Both Tyramine and Histamine are known cause for arrhythmia.
September 28, 2023 03:00AM
Yuxi
Most Tyramine rich foods are also Histamine rich. Both Tyramine and Histamine are known cause for arrhythmia.

Exactly. That's what made me think that all the good food I should stop eating in the hope to be 24/24hr in NSR would cause me lots of other health problems which I'm sure would more surely rot the rest of my life than living with my arrhythmias and managing them the way I'm currently doing.

I eat and drink in moderation everything that makes me happy and does not have a sure negative effect on my health. I'm in good shape, I ride my bicycle and play table tennis. I sometimes go for a walk, work in my backyard, have a meal with family or friends and make my best to relax, enjoy life as a retired should do and have a yearly appointement with my cardiologist. I don't take other med than my NOAC, just adding some magnesium. Magnesium is good, isn't it?

Believe me, in nearly 8 years dealing with AFib and ectopics, I've tried lots of diets and supplements, had 4 ablations, took quite some drugs that made things mostly worse and, despite taking notes about each AFib episode I have (day, hour, length, circumstances...), I'm still struggling to find any sure culprit aside of the well known excesses (alcohol, dehydration, stress...).
I do my best to avoid all those excesses, and still have AFib from time to time, unable to link the episodes to something consistent. It could as well be the direction of the wind, the phase of the Moon or the diameter of the freshest cow pat.
September 28, 2023 06:50AM
Pompon

Exactly. That's what made me think that all the good food I should stop eating in the hope to be 24/24hr in NSR would cause me lots of other health problems which I'm sure would more surely rot the rest of my life than living with my arrhythmias and managing them the way I'm currently doing.

Maybe so far I'm lucky but it only seams to be aged cheese and pickled or fermented foods that trigger my PACs/afib so it's easy to avoid these and have a healthy and varied diet, but I do realise that afib is progressive so in the future this might not be enough to keep me in NSR. I have read in a few places the vagaly triggered afib is less progressive than other types so I will keep my fingers crossed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login