Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fibrinogen and blood thinners. Actively managing fibrinogen levels?

Posted by KingFizzy 
Fibrinogen and blood thinners. Actively managing fibrinogen levels?
September 23, 2023 09:43AM
Hoping to find others that are actively managing fibrinogen levels via testing, medication and supplementation.

Just got a lab back for fibrinogen at 411. Desired range is 200-400. Clotting risks are high above 700.

Right now and in advance of this lab I've been taking 81mg aspirin daily, 4000 FU Nattokinase in the AM and one 5 mg Eliquis before bed.

I imagine without the above, my levels would be much higher. I'm convinced that keeping my HCT low and my fibrinogen in the mid range closer to 300 are desirable and essential for preventing thrombotic events.

Does anyone have any experience in testing fibrinogen levels and supplementing to meet goals?

Eliquis, serrapeptase, nattokinase, aspirin, etc.

Lastly, a PSA - if you're self treating with supplements because NOACs/DOACs are too expensive I understand but use that save money to get your self a fibrinogen lab and re-evaluate.
Re: Fibrinogen and blood thinners. Actively managing fibrinogen levels?
September 23, 2023 01:25PM
I hope you won't mind a slightly contrarian opinion, but I would ask you how you know for a fact that you are somewhat better off than if you had NOT taken those things. Your numbers are in the higher range, although not badly so. You don't really know what they would have been had you not taken Natto and aspirin unless you had a recent reference point (or two) in the days preceding your lab test, and then commenced your regimen, and subsequently took another two assessments after a month or so.
September 23, 2023 09:57PM
In a way you're suggesting that aspirin, nattokinase and Eliquis have no effect on fibrinogen. If that's the case, we're all in a mess of trouble.

Given the consequences of having high fibrinogen, I don't think I'll run a control on myself any time soon or ever.

I could see getting down below 300 and then stopping for a short term and seeing what happens in a week to 10 days.
September 23, 2023 11:08PM
Why do you believe that your program is safer and/or more effective at preventing clots than simply taking the Eliquis twice daily?
September 24, 2023 03:50AM
I might agree that the half-dose of apixaban is likely to be useful, but we still don't know what its effect is in view of the other things you mention. Are they working AGAINST the apixaban, or helping it, or are they simply doing nothing? How would you know?
September 24, 2023 10:15AM
We just flew 11 hours. Husband and I are in the er to check if he has DVT-his leg is swollen and hurts enough he can’t stand up.

Will 2.5 eliquis BID protect me? I had dvt before and am starting to limp again. Same leg, same spot.
September 25, 2023 06:03AM
Gloomy, Carey,

We don't know and that's the point of testing.

There are dozens of people here using nattokinase, lumbrokinase, serrapeptase, aspirin, and counting on them to prevent a thrombotic event.

There are dozens more that aren't doing anything and don't test.

The idea here is to help each other. I'm hoping to find someone doing and testing their strategy.
September 27, 2023 03:03AM
I tested for fibrinogen some years ago after eating natto every 2nd day and taking 4000FU's of Nattokinase before bed each day.
I did this for 3 years and had fibrinogen test each year and found there was very little difference from year to year. Which I was disappointed about.
BTW if covid hadn't come along I think I would still be eating natto and taking Nattokinase.
Another story.
September 27, 2023 09:43AM
KingFizzy
We don't know and that's the point of testing.

And how do you know you're testing the right thing? The clotting cascade is a ridiculously complex process involving many factors. Just a diagram of the process will boggle your mind, and different substances affect different steps. Personally, I prefer to rely on the clinical trials already conducted on thousands of patients and confirmed by real-world results with millions of patients rather than some measure I cooked up on a study group of N=1.
September 27, 2023 05:30PM
My TEG machine is broken right now. So you go to war with the army you have.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login