Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Air pollution may spur irregular heart rhythms in healthy teens

Posted by Todd 
Air pollution may spur irregular heart rhythms in healthy teens
September 16, 2023 07:06AM
Teenagers may experience irregular heart rhythms — or arrhythmias — within two hours after breathing polluted air, according to Penn State College of Medicine researchers. The study is the first of its kind to analyze air pollution's cardiovascular impact on adolescents.
Its all over the internet. Looks like most are repeating the same thing.
Could it be effecting some of the older AFers ?
[www.google.com]
Re: Air pollution may spur irregular heart rhythms in healthy teens
September 16, 2023 12:05PM
I don't see why not. Air pollution causes free radical damage in the alveoli, which has a deleterious effect on SPO2. Low SPO2, such as when in obstructive or central sleep apnea, can bring on AF. Happened to me.
Ken
September 17, 2023 10:02AM
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in LA in the 50's and 60's when air pollution was really bad. In high school before some swimming meets (early 60's), I would go into my closet at home to hyperventilate to stop/clear the lung pain that was happening with deep breaths. 5 minutes of deep breathing and the pain was gone. At the time - Was there major issues with young people having arrythmias from pollution? I doubt it.
September 17, 2023 12:40PM
Ken
Was there major issues with young people having arrhythmias from pollution? I doubt it.

Reading the paper, these subjects did not either. The were studying PAC & PVC rates in 30 minute time bins (and comparing to particulate concentrations in the same or prior time bins). From Table 2, the mean PAC rate was 0.47/30 min and PVC rate 0.36/30 minutes. So hardly major issues.
September 17, 2023 03:49PM
Ken
I grew up in the San Fernando Valley in LA in the 50's and 60's when air pollution was really bad. In high school before some swimming meets (early 60's), I would go into my closet at home to hyperventilate to stop/clear the lung pain that was happening with deep breaths. 5 minutes of deep breathing and the pain was gone. At the time - Was there major issues with young people having arrythmias from pollution? I doubt it.

We were neighbors. My son’s school was just feet from the 405 in the valley. In the 80s, the air wasn’t any cleaner. 9 out of 11 kids in his class used a nebulizer. Where I live now we have sandstorms. I actually am coughing like crazy even with a n95.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login