Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vagal/Nighttime only Arrhythmia

Posted by MeganMN 
Vagal/Nighttime only Arrhythmia
September 15, 2023 11:05PM
My episodes of SVT (Atrial Tachycardia) stop and start like clockwork. They are almost exclusively at night and start sometime between 5-8pm and are over by 8am. Every single day this repeats. I have read some research on this possibly being vagally mediated. I have read some of the posts about vagal stimulation with interest. I have not really had a good explanation from my EP about this phenomenon of nighttime only episodes, although I understand that it is common. Any thoughts out there? I am curious.
Re: Vagal/Nighttime only Arrhythmia
September 16, 2023 12:19AM
My sister-in-law only has AF at night, usually when she is in bed. I, on the other hand, reliably found respite in bed.
September 22, 2023 07:39AM
Body hormone levels change greatly at night. As a result, it is very common (including in me) to have afib/flutter/tachy induced regularly at night (at rest/sleeping).
September 23, 2023 11:15PM
Is there any way to assess the cause? We have thrown all sorts of meds at stopping it, but I feel like there is something we are missing.
September 24, 2023 07:31AM
MeganMN
Is there any way to assess the cause? We have thrown all sorts of meds at stopping it, but I feel like there is something we are missing.

Megan, I don't have answers. SVT is not my issue, but initially with afib, the episodes commonly started around 3AM. My hypothesis was that it was vagally mediated. Back in the day we had a "Conference Room" for extended discussion of some topics. The archives are here. You may wish to peruse the PDF's and see if anything strikes a chord. One of our members, Patrick Chambers, MD ("PC"), is a pathologist who thought deeply about these things. Here are links to some of his topics:

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

A search here on VMAF (vagally mediated atrial fibrillation) [www.afibbers.org]

A search here on SVT [www.afibbers.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login