Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions…

Posted by tibbar 
Questions…
September 07, 2023 01:55PM
I have been away from the forum as Flecainide has kept my Afib limited to a few short episodes per year (since 2008) with the exception of last year when I had longish one (for me) of 24 hours long..that converted on its own. I have had a pacemaker since 2008.

Very Recently, I had a longer episode - 7 days - and I had to get my first cardio conversion. With the afib in play, going up stairs and had me struggling to catch my breath and during the episode I was urinating very frequently. Three weeks before this recent week long afib episode, I had passed (my every 5 year) Bruce treadmill nuclear stress test with flying colors, But the echo TEE done the day of the cardio conversion last week, showed low EF function and wall ”thickening”. Can this be reversed with exercise and a steady heart beat. I am back to walking, but taking my time going up hills. Eventually, I hope to pick up the pace on a treadmill. EP has an ablation talk with me on his radar screen. Age:70’s, non smoker, normal weight,, treated HP.Thanks.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2023 08:37AM by tibbar.
Re: Questions…
September 07, 2023 02:02PM
There is some evidence that an enlarged atrium will reduce in size, but not a lot. Being in NSR is important for this. Do continue to exercise, but keep a strict lid on the max and sustained rates because that adds stress on a diseased heart
September 07, 2023 03:13PM
Gloaming….thank you.!
September 07, 2023 03:50PM
Stay hydrated
September 07, 2023 07:07PM
tibbar
But the echo TEE done before the cardiovarsion last week showed low ER function and some wall”thickening”.

I think you meant EF (ejection fraction)? ER means endoplasmic reticulum and I don't believe an echo can measure the functioning of that.

It sounds like they're talking about your ventricles, not your atria. Prolonged tachycardia, such as you might experience with uncontrolled afib, can lead to ventricular wall thickening and reduced EF, but it usually takes prolonged periods for that to happen, such as weeks of nonstop tachycardia. Did they give you a number for the EF?
September 07, 2023 08:08PM
Susan, Thank you. That is what my wife said🙂
September 07, 2023 08:23PM
Carey,
Thank you….Yes, I believe it is EF. And the left ventricle. The percentage was very low, but the doctor was hopeful — because I had done about 10 minutes on treadmill test 3 weeks before I had the recent week of afib— the percentage and heath of LV might improve now that I am out of afib and slowly getting back on track. Hopefully, the poor performance of the LV on the TEE about 10 days ago did not/does not predate the afib episode. Over the recent years, I could get out of breath if I really exerted myself without warming up, but I assume that was just getting older.I am in my mid 70s.Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login