Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Risk of cardioversion for patients with cardiac implantable electrical devices

Posted by susan.d 
Risk of cardioversion for patients with cardiac implantable electrical devices
August 28, 2023 02:19PM
This month has a few interesting articles.

Regarding patients who are pacemaker dependent, this is a risk. I had 54 ecvs before being PM dependent, but only during my av node ablation was I ecv.

Anyone know if a brain eeg can affect pacemakers? I read it messes up the eeg results but I wonder if it tampers with a pacemaker?
Re: Risk of cardioversion for patients with cardiac implantable electrical devices
August 28, 2023 02:24PM
Re: Risk of cardioversion for patients with cardiac implantable electrical devices
August 28, 2023 02:26PM
susan.d

Regarding patients who are pacemaker dependent, this is a risk. I had 54 ecvs before being PM dependent, but only during my av node ablation was I ecv.

Anyone know if a brain eeg can affect pacemakers? I read it messes up the eeg results but I wonder if it tampers with a pacemaker?

Another option: if you have a pacemaker your EP or pacemaker tech can often convert you through manipulating your pacemaker. Mine did and I was out of Afib in about a minute—no sedation or after affects. Though, like ECV, you need to have been totally anticoagulant compliant for a few weeks beforehand.
August 28, 2023 05:16PM
susan.d

EEGs and ECGs are passive record-only devices. They don't cause any electrical stimulation of the body so can't interfere with implanted devices.
August 29, 2023 06:49AM
Daisy

Another option: if you have a pacemaker your EP or pacemaker tech can often convert you through manipulating your pacemaker. Mine did and I was out of Afib in about a minute—no sedation or after affects. Though, like ECV, you need to have been totally anticoagulant compliant for a few weeks beforehand.

True true but there is a window of 30 seconds of interrogation zapping before one is at risk for potentially cardiac problems. I got a Metronics tech meet me in the ER waiting room and I was in 1:1 flutter. He was able to manipulate my pacemaker for 20 something seconds by instructing boost therapy (zapping). I converted and went home. The following week I was back with >200 1:1 flutter and Metronics tech returned to the er waiting room and tried again. At 30 seconds of burst therapy he stopped and tried two more segments of 30 seconds and he aborted manipulation and I was ECV.

It’s a crap shot if it works or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login