Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

change of med

Posted by alfrae13 
change of med
August 19, 2023 05:19PM
I have paroxysmal afib with occurrences between 2 to 8 days.I take 60mh propranolol so my HR is seldom over 85. When I get afib I don't feel well, weak and mostly have to lie down and often sleep. I am retired so that is no problem. However it is a nuisance and if I would substitute daily digoxin for PIP would I stay in NSR
Re: change of med
August 19, 2023 06:28PM
In my copy of the founder of this site, Hans Larsen's book, "Long Atrial Fibrillation, Towards a Cure," there are a number of reasons listed as to why you don't want to take digoxin. Here are a couple:

Several pharmaceutical drugs including digoxin (Lanoxin, digitalis) and some drugs (theophyllines) used in the treatment of asthma, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) can trigger an afib episode.

The same goes for digoxin (Lanoxin, digitalis), which actually enhances vagal tone(1). Numerous medical experts have warned against the use of digoxin for vagal LAF and indeed, more recently, against the use of digoxin for any kind of LAF. Digoxin tends to increase the number of episodes and may cause the condition to become permanent[6].

In 2004, initially had a cardio who told me that digoxin was his favorite afib drug. We'd have hour long "discussions," I would not take it. He finally passed me off to the EP in the practice who told me that he didn't prescribe it.
August 19, 2023 08:51PM
May I summarize Hans Larson's conclusions?

Digoxin is an awful drug. No cardiologist who's up-to-date on their continuing medical education would prescribe it for afib.

Another reason Hans didn't mention is that there's a very small window between the effective dose and the toxic dose. Lookup digoxin toxicity.
August 20, 2023 04:16AM
My local ep says the same

My drug of choice is Tenormin/Atenolol. Not only did it control my hr, it stopped PVCs after two ablations cold turkey.

My second favorite is Cardizem. Even though I had an av node ablation and shouldn’t be concerned ever again with Af, I do get AF episodes that are symptomatic so I pop a 120 mg CD time delay Cardizem and get converted back to nsr. Everyone is different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2023 04:28AM by susan.d.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login