Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Atrial Tachycardia and Ablation vs Med Management

Posted by MeganMN 
Atrial Tachycardia and Ablation vs Med Management
August 17, 2023 12:04AM
Hello there! Thank you for approving me to the forum!

I began having Paroxysmal SVT in early 2021 and after event monitor, they found it to be Atrial Tachycardia. It occurs primarily in the evening and night, only occasionally in the daytime. I was 46 at the time, no other significant health problems. I had about 290 runs of SVT in the 7 day monitor, but all short, 10 seconds or less. I had some failed trials of beta blockers but they lowered my pressure too much or my daytime heart rate, so I had an ablation in May 2021 for SVT/Atrial Tachycardia. During the ablation, they fixed the Atrial Tachycardia, and also induced Atrial Fib/Atrial Flutter, which they also ablated.

I had symptom free period for a year and a half, and the Atrial Tachycardia (SVT) returned. On the monitor, my burden of SVT/PACs was at 24%, with about 600 episodes of SVT during the 7 day monitor. This tine, the episodes were different, anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 hours. They recommended another ablation. They were unable to induce the rhythm and have been trying different medications.

I am so sensitive to most meds and have side effects worse than the SVT. We have tried Beta Blockers (which do not work anymore as mine is vagally mediated), Diltiazem, Flecainide, and now Norpace. I even tried a Naturopath who tried me on Magnesium, Arginine, Taurine, and Hawthorn. That actually stopped the SVT but I was too dizzy. The doctor is not opposed to another ablation but wants to try at least a few more meds. I am nervous because I just seem to have such a hard time with side effects. The Beta Blockers stopped working, though the Metoprolol and Propranolol had manageable side effects. The Cardizem made me very sick to my stomach and dizzy. The Flecainide gave me bad headaches and anxiety/agitation. In tried something else but can't remember now what it was.

Because of my sensitivity to meds, I am hesitant and wondering if the standard of care would point more to trying another ablation? I am 48, not in any other meds, no other significant history related to the heart. I am waiting for the Norpace to be shipped to me and cannot find much about it. It seems to be an older drug. The SVT is more frequent now, sometimes during the day, and always symptomatic with it. I feel discouraged and afraid to try again in case they cannot induce the rhythm again, but not thrilled about the meds either. I have not sought a second opinion because I genuinely like my EP.

Thanks in advance!
Re: Atrial Tachycardia and Ablation vs Med Management
August 17, 2023 09:48AM
I'm sorry to see that you have this unfortunate experience with medications of all kinds. Many of us here have the same history, or much of it, as well as failed ablations. I have had two ablations because the first failed. I'm six months free of PACs and AF...so far.

The experience and verve of the attending electrophysiologist (EP) really counts in this field. There are several truly top-notch EPs in the USA, but the one so many of us here have nothing but good to say about is Dr. Andrea Natale at the Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute in Austin, TX. He has fixed some horribly complex cases of members here. You might wish to contact his office and see what they can do for you.

(512)-544-2342
August 17, 2023 10:43AM
Carey has a post at top of forum that I feel is a must read for all. Title is how people end up with multiple ablation. Check it out! I go back every so often and re read it for supporting tough decisions to seek the right treatment. Don't let convenience make your decision. Good luck!
August 17, 2023 12:22PM
I wonder what made you dizzy when taking magnesium, Hawthorn, Arginine and Taurine? There is research on the use of Arginine and Taurine: [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I wonder if the Hawthorn might be implicated? And yes, who does the ablation is often the most important factor in success—skills vary hugely among EPs who perform ablations.
August 17, 2023 03:18PM
Daisy
I wonder what made you dizzy when taking magnesium, Hawthorn, Arginine and Taurine? There is research on the use of Arginine and Taurine: [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I wonder [/i]if the Hawthorn might be implicated? And yes, who does the ablation is often the most important factor in success—skills vary hugely among EPs who perform ablations.

I recall from reading a Mayo link in 2004 that Hawthorn, propranolol and tenormin/Atenolol interact.

[www.mayoclinic.org])

Hawthorn
Hawthorn might interact with:
Beta blockers, such as atenolol (Tenormin), nadolol (Corgard) or propranolol (Inderal LA, Innopran XL)
Calcium channel blockers, such as diltiazem, nifedipine (Procardia) and verapamil (Calan SR, Verelan)

I used to faint after taking flecainide and prilosec. I have many scars on my scalp from being stitched up afterwards. Cyp450 inhibitors. Everyone is different and should treat supplements and combo of your drugs as potential interactions.
August 18, 2023 11:53AM
On page 96 in the book The Afib Cure by John Day and Jared Bunch, MDs, they state that it’s “been shown that Hawthorn changes the heart’s potassium channels, but that there’s no studies showing whether these electrical changes make afib better or worse. When one changes the hearts potassium channels, there is a chance of causing cardiac arrest.” Their conclusion was until more studies show value for afib, it’s probably best to leave this supplement alone.. ( Book’s copyright is 2021).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login