Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High blood pressure post ablation

Posted by colindo 
High blood pressure post ablation
August 14, 2023 05:15PM
Is it normal for your blood pressure to rise post ablation.

I had my blood pressure checked the other day and it was higher than I expected. It was up about 10 from my pre ablation pressure. E.g..From =>120/75 to =>130/85

It's been 7 months since my ablation and during that time I have experienced headaches, some times all day headaches. Some days no headaches.
My resting heart has gone up by 15 to 20 bpm. It is now 76 bpm. It was 80+ but is coming down very slowly.
Re: High blood pressure post ablation
August 14, 2023 05:23PM
The BP varies by at least 20 as the day progresses. Mine does, and so does yours. The best time to take your BP, AND your resting HR, are just as you awaken each morning. Those numbers, taken once a week for a couple of months, and then averaged, are what you are. The readings taken during the day are not necessarily inaccurate, but they are not REPRESENTATIVE of your true average BP and HR.

I used to have an HR averaging 55 BPM, regardless of how little sleep or how vigorous the day's exercise was. Post ablation, six months out, I'm still running near 65. As long as it's sweet NSR, I don't care. I'd care if it were 90, but not the six or seven points above 'normal'. It's common for cath lab patients to have higher HR for a few months, sometimes up to a year.

Take both readings first thing, once a week, and average them. That's where you truly are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2023 05:26PM by gloaming.
Re: High blood pressure post ablation
August 14, 2023 06:36PM
No, an increase in BP isn't a normal, but I doubt the BP and headaches are related to the ablation.

The increased HR 7 months out isn't surprising. HR almost always goes up following an ablation and can remain elevated for a surprisingly long time, upwards of a year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login