Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

propafenone vs flecainide for PIP?

Posted by Marco 
propafenone vs flecainide for PIP?
August 03, 2023 07:55PM
I'm going to see my cardiologist tomorrow to see the results of my echo, holter monitor and stress test. He already mentioned the PIP at the first visit and we would discuss it on this follow up visit.

I have seen in some older posts that Flecainide contains Fluoride, is that still the case as today? does Propapenone contain Fluoride as well?

Other than the Fluoride that I would prefer to avoid, being paroxysmal afibber, would one be better than the other one?
Re: propafenone vs flecainide for PIP?
August 03, 2023 08:30PM
I don't know the chemical composition of flecainide and propafenone, but they almost certainly haven't changed. Changing the chemical formula would create a new drug, which means new clinical trials and new FDA approval. That's millions of dollars and years of time, so it didn't happen.

You know that virtually all water and a gazillion other things you consume everyday contain fluoride, right?
August 03, 2023 09:06PM
Marco
I have seen in some older posts that Flecainide contains Fluoride, is that still the case as today? does Propapenone contain Fluoride as well?

Other than the Fluoride that I would prefer to avoid, being paroxysmal afibber, would one be better than the other one?

Propafenone: C21H27NO3
Flecainide: C17H20F6N2O3

Here is the 2004 paper about PIP flecainide & propafenone.

Recently most posters have mentioned flecainide, years ago, it was more even. Propafenone does have beta blocking properties built in. They are both in the same class of drugs. I've taken flec for nearly 19 years for PIP and for short periods of time prophylactically in small doses. Flec has never failed to convert me to NSR, including my first dose, which converted a 2 1/2 month episode. That took 20 hours, but the EP didn't even think it would work for an episode that long. My next episode, a month later, also took 20 hours. My hypothesis is my atria were still experiencing stunning from the 2 1/2 month episode. Most of my subsequent conversions were in the 1 to 2 hour range from taking the flec (which I always chew to get it into my system as fast as possible). More recently, it was taking longer to convert, as I've posted elsewhere, I figured out that 200 mg is a better PIP dose for me than 300 mg. Subsequent to dropping my dose to 200 mg, my conversion times are generally back in the 1 to 2 hour range. Flec is commonly prescribed with a beta blocker to mitigate the low risk of 1:1 conduction atrial flutter. Mine was not prescribed with a BB and I've never taken a BB.

Note that max flec is 300 mg for someone weighing over 154 #'s (70 kg) and 200 for those less. I weighed 205#'s in 2004 when first prescribed and 167#'s today. The propafenone doses are in the linked paper.

I think propafenone can be equally effective. One friend that was on it as PIP for a long time was switched to flec in January because the propafenone was losing its efficacy.

I may have been the one that mentioned the fluoride in flec. I do try to limit my fluoride intake and filter it out of the drinking water. I also do other things to eliminate it (like displacing it with intaking another halide) as well as heavy metals from my system. However, fluoride or not, I'm happy to take the flec and convert to NSR. One always has to weigh cost/benefit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2023 09:48PM by GeorgeN.
August 03, 2023 10:45PM
GeorgeN

Propafenone: C21H27NO3
Flecainide: C17H20F6N2O3

Here is the 2004 paper about PIP flecainide & propafenone.

Recently most posters have mentioned flecainide, years ago, it was more even. Propafenone does have beta blocking properties built in. They are both in the same class of drugs. I've taken flec for nearly 19 years for PIP and for short periods of time prophylactically in small doses. Flec has never failed to convert me to NSR, including my first dose, which converted a 2 1/2 month episode. That took 20 hours, but the EP didn't even think it would work for an episode that long. My next episode, a month later, also took 20 hours. My hypothesis is my atria were still experiencing stunning from the 2 1/2 month episode. Most of my subsequent conversions were in the 1 to 2 hour range from taking the flec (which I always chew to get it into my system as fast as possible). More recently, it was taking longer to convert, as I've posted elsewhere, I figured out that 200 mg is a better PIP dose for me than 300 mg. Subsequent to dropping my dose to 200 mg, my conversion times are generally back in the 1 to 2 hour range. Flec is commonly prescribed with a beta blocker to mitigate the low risk of 1:1 conduction atrial flutter. Mine was not prescribed with a BB and I've never taken a BB.

Note that max flec is 300 mg for someone weighing over 154 #'s (70 kg) and 200 for those less. I weighed 205#'s in 2004 when first prescribed and 167#'s today. The propafenone doses are in the linked paper.

I think propafenone can be equally effective. One friend that was on it as PIP for a long time was switched to flec in January because the propafenone was losing its efficacy.

I may have been the one that mentioned the fluoride in flec. I do try to limit my fluoride intake and filter it out of the drinking water. I also do other things to eliminate it (like displacing it with intaking another halide) as well as heavy metals from my system. However, fluoride or not, I'm happy to take the flec and convert to NSR. One always has to weigh cost/benefit.

thanks G. I'm assuming you are taking Iodine, if so how much are you taking?
August 03, 2023 10:57PM
Carey
I don't know the chemical composition of flecainide and propafenone, but they almost certainly haven't changed. Changing the chemical formula would create a new drug, which means new clinical trials and new FDA approval. That's millions of dollars and years of time, so it didn't happen.

You know that virtually all water and a gazillion other things you consume everyday contain fluoride, right?

thanks. We do need a tiny bit of fluoride, but not too much. Too much Fluoride will almost certainly interact with the absorption of two very important mineral such as Magnesium and Iodine. Hopefully Flecainide has just a tiny bit in it
August 03, 2023 11:38PM
Marco
thanks. We do need a tiny bit of fluoride, but not too much. Too much Fluoride will almost certainly interact with the absorption of two very important mineral such as Magnesium and Iodine. Hopefully Flecainide has just a tiny bit in it

I understand, but you should also understand that humans evolved over millions of years drinking water that contained high levels of fluoride. I think the human body is more resilient to normal environmental conditions than many people think it is.
August 04, 2023 08:11AM
Marco
thanks G. I'm assuming you are taking Iodine, if so how much are you taking?
50 mg of Lugol's liquid iodine. If anyone decides to pursue this, please don't just start taking iodine without informing yourself completely about iodine protocols. There can be serious consequences if a protocol is not followed. One issue is that iodine is a halide as is bromine. The iodine can displace the bromine quickly, causing "bromism." The attached PDF has some links to references on the topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2023 08:13AM by GeorgeN.
Attachments:
open | download - Iodine repletion.pdf (146 KB)
August 04, 2023 08:51AM
GeorgeN
Flec is commonly prescribed with a beta blocker to mitigate the low risk of 1:1 conduction atrial flutter. Mine was not prescribed with a BB and I've never taken a BB.

Hi George, what's your typical heart rate when in an Afib episode? I am assuming not very high and you are not very symptomatic?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2023 08:52AM by Yuxi.
August 04, 2023 09:26AM
Yuxi
Hi George, what's your typical heart rate when in an Afib episode? I am assuming not very high and you are not very symptomatic?

If I don't do anything, I'd say an average in the 130's - 140's (based on beat to beat data from a Polar H10 strap and collected by the Heart Rate Variability Logger app). With breathwork, inversions, standing on my head or the like - I can commonly drop it into the 90's. I've also pushed it hard the other way. Doing exercise (jumping rope, push ups, high intensity sprints on a fan bike & etc. while doing an extended exhaled breath hold), I've pushed it to 225 BPM. In fact, my 2nd every afib episode in 2004 (pre PIP flec), I went out doing a walk in the city center near where I worked. I was wearing a Polar heart rate monitor strap and watch. I was trying to figure out what my heart rate would be in afib at various exertion levels. At one point, I had to sprint across a street to not get hit by a car. Pushed my average heart rate to 225. Then I converted - my first exercise conversion - sadly that feature did not remain long term.

Even at high heart rates, I'm not symptomatic.
August 04, 2023 10:02AM
I will be so scared if my HR is so high. Are you not concerned with the risk of 1:1 conduction atrial flutter?
August 04, 2023 10:23AM
Marco, from what I read, propafenone and flecainide are generally used for the same patients. If one isn't tolerated, the other one serves as a back up. Proarrhythmia is the potential problem for both of these meds.
August 04, 2023 02:45PM
Yuxi
Are you not concerned with the risk of 1:1 conduction atrial flutter?

I actually spend and have spent most of my time in afib being quiet. I recall EP, columnist and blogger, Dr. John Mandrola wrote about going into afib and taking PIP flec. He's a cyclocross rider and had gone into afib during a ride. This was maybe 10 or more years ago and he wrote that being quiet reduced your 1:1 atrial flutter risk materially. I've mostly followed this. I don't keep my rate at 200+. While no guarantees, I have 19 years experience of using flec without this being an issue for me. Also, a higher dose has more risk & I've cut my PIP dose by 1/3.
August 04, 2023 04:02PM
Carey

I understand, but you should also understand that humans evolved over millions of years drinking water that contained high levels of fluoride. I think the human body is more resilient to normal environmental conditions than many people think it is.

Humans evolved over millions of years to drink spring water that contained some fluoride, high levels of Fluoride were unlikely ingested during evolution. Higher levels of fluoride are found in municipal water depending on the county/state one is living. Drugs, make up, toothpaste, etc... we are just expose to too much, Unfortunately, to these days "normal" environment to us would be drinking spring water, never touch plastic, sleeping when the sun goes down, not ingesting excess fluoride along with herbicides, pesticides, and and so on and so forth. We are living almost in an unnatural environment for our genes.
August 04, 2023 06:18PM
Marco
Humans evolved over millions of years to drink spring water that contained some fluoride, high levels of Fluoride were unlikely ingested during evolution.

They most certainly were. It's not just manmade sources. Most groundwater contains at least some naturally occurring fluoride, and some contains quite a bit. Africa most notably has many areas with high levels, and that's where most human evolution occurred.

I have no idea what you mean about drinking spring water, never touching plastic, and particularly not sleeping when the sun goes down.
August 04, 2023 11:31PM
well, I'm not sure I was fully happy with my cardiologist appointment today.

Happy as in my stress test I scored above average, holter monitor showed some irregular heart beats, but according to cardiologist "nothing to worry about it", my echo did showed some mild LVH, but that's not a news as I have seen that in earlier years also, so we talked about controlling my BP. Overall, he said my heart is in great shape and it works efficiently.

He believes controlling my BP will prevent Afib and I should focus on this. Don't get me wrong, overall, I believe he is a good mainstream cardiologist, and understanding also.

However, as a PIP he only left me with a betablocker, he said in my case he wouldn't use Flecainade or Propafenone as these drugs can actually cause arrythmias. He mentioned he would only start considering these as PIP if I would experience at least one event every 3 months. He believes I should/will convert on my own.

I think I appreciate the warning about these drugs that seems to be powerful, and the fact that he tries only to give me drugs if I really need it, but now I'm left with only a beta blocker as a PIP. Luckly, next week I'm going to see an electrophysiologist. DO you guys think I should make sure I ask for Flecainide?
August 05, 2023 12:38AM
Marco
DO you guys think I should make sure I ask for Flecainide?

No, not at all. Let the EP decide what might be most effective. Flecainide isn't some sort of miracle drug.
August 05, 2023 12:52AM
I agree...mention it for that extra insurance and a second sober look at your question, but then live with the wisdom, especially if it is supportive of the original advice. You can always go back and say, 'This has been happening, and I think I'd really like to have A, or B, in my arsenal PIP." But for now, the fact that you don't even need metoprolol on a continuous basis is rather good news....don't you think?
August 05, 2023 08:26AM
Marco, how long do your episodes take to convert on their own? I ask because my philosophy has always been to limit my time in afib as much as possible as "afib begets afib."

Certainly these rhythm meds can cause arrhythmia, I had a call with a member yesterday who had read my posts of lowering my PIP dose as I'd been seeing what appears to be conversion from afib to a flutter at the higher dose. He thinks he's seeing the same thing and wanted to discuss my experience. One way to deal with this is when you have an episode, start with a fraction of your max dose and wait and see what happens, If no conversion after a period of time, then take some more (but not to exceed your maximum dose). Also there are some data suggesting that taking a BB first and waiting for it to take effect before taking the PIP rhythm med can have more efficacy.
August 05, 2023 03:20PM
GeorgeN
Marco, how long do your episodes take to convert on their own? I ask because my philosophy has always been to limit my time in afib as much as possible as "afib begets afib."

the 3 times this happened, it took me 48 hours, or about 24 hours after being in the hospital on the IV Ca channel blocker. However, from what I read in the forum, I understand this trend may change. I do agree with your philosophy, the less info Afib the better.

Perhaps, if this ever happen again..., lowering the heart rate soon after going into afib with the betablocker, will be enough to self-convert soon after. I wanted to have something extra in case I don't though, because I understand the chance of stroke increase, I believe after 72 hours into afib? doc told me to take a full aspirin in the case. I was also pretty miserable during, I literally felt that was the end of the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2023 03:41PM by Marco.
August 05, 2023 03:21PM
thanks everyone for the advise
August 06, 2023 12:46PM
We must protect our precious bodily fluids at all costs.

[youtu.be]
August 06, 2023 03:43PM
GeorgeN

not quiet sure what I'm doing with the quote response but I'm trying again:

"the 3 times this happened, it took me 48 hours, or about 24 hours after being in the hospital on the IV Ca channel blocker. However, from what I read in the forum, I understand this trend may change. I do agree with your philosophy, the less info Afib the better.

Perhaps, if this ever happen again..., lowering the heart rate soon after going into afib with the betablocker, will be enough to self-convert soon after. I wanted to have something extra in case I don't though, because I understand the chance of stroke increase, I believe after 72 hours into afib? doc told me to take a full aspirin in the case. I was also pretty miserable during, I literally felt that was the end of the world."
August 06, 2023 04:39PM
I'm guessing the following is what you are trying to achieve. The issue is you need [ / quote ] at the end of my quote (take all the spaces out from between the brackets - I put them in so the program will display it as shown, instead of interpreting.

GeorgeN

not quite sure what I'm doing with the quote response but I'm trying again:

"the 3 times this happened, it took me 48 hours, or about 24 hours after being in the hospital on the IV Ca channel blocker. However, from what I read in the forum, I understand this trend may change. I do agree with your philosophy, the less info Afib the better.

Perhaps, if this ever happen again..., lowering the heart rate soon after going into afib with the betablocker, will be enough to self-convert soon after. I wanted to have something extra in case I don't though, because I understand the chance of stroke increase, I believe after 72 hours into afib? doc told me to take a full aspirin in the case. I was also pretty miserable during, I literally felt that was the end of the world."

Marco
because I understand the chance of stroke increase, I believe after 72 hours into afib? doc told me to take a full aspirin in the case.

The number used to be 48 hours, but I think new data suggest the period when the risk starts is much shorter (I don't have the reference on this). Aspirin is not a great blood thinner. What is your CHA2DS2–VASc score? If more than 1, you should have a prescription for an oral anticoagulant like Eliquis or Xarelto, either to take all the time (as directed by doc) or to start if you have an episode and continue for a time determined by your doc. In my case, my score is 1, for my age at 68. I go to great lengths to keep a very low BP without meds and to have my metabolic parameters pristine (these are the two you can potentially control with lifestyle).
August 07, 2023 05:44PM
GeorgeN.
The number used to be 48 hours, but I think new data suggest the period when the risk starts is much shorter (I don't have the reference on this). Aspirin is not a great blood thinner. What is your CHA2DS2–VASc score? If more than 1, you should have a prescription for an oral anticoagulant like Eliquis or Xarelto, either to take all the time (as directed by doc) or to start if you have an episode and continue for a time determined by your doc. In my case, my score is 1, for my age at 68. I go to great lengths to keep a very low BP without meds and to have my metabolic parameters pristine (these are the two you can potentially control with lifestyle).[/quote

Hopefully this quote situation will work.

My score could be considered 0, that's probably why he didn't recommend much other than an aspirin when it happens, I will see an EP tomorrow as well

My BP at home is fine, doc agrees. My issue is when I go to doc offices my blood pressure sky rock, and I'm somewhat anxious is general. I saw the doctor thinking a couple of times before suggesting a BP medication. His concern is that because my anxiety my bp can be too high too often during the day. He told me I may only need to use it for a while.

As far as the time coagulation/platelets aggregations factors increase during paroxysmal afib, they seems not be effected for 6hr, and increase at 12hr, so you are right about that.
[www.jacc.org]

After 24hr into afib the first and 3rd time, because the 2nd time I went to the ER right away, they checked some coagulations factors, and they found them always at normal levels, that is why I was never offered a blood thinner for 3 times, I would assume.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2023 05:45PM by Marco.
August 07, 2023 05:47PM
I just realized the cardiologist gave me a RX for Propanolol as a PIP, not sure the dose yet, I will pick it up at the pharmacy once is ready.
August 07, 2023 10:06PM
If your BP is normally low, be careful of Propranolol (or any BP med). My daughter's father in law was recently prescribed a beta blocker for afib and he passed out due to low BP, fell and cracked some vertebrae. This may not be an issue for you, especially in afib, but just be aware.

I think your issue with the quote above is that the ending [/quote needs a closing ]

Some breathing techniques are good for anxiety. Don't know what you've tried. Here are some resources:

Physiological sigh's

Coherent Breathing (5.5 second inhale and exhale) a free app here or really anything around 4-6 breaths per minute has been shown to lower BP

This mp3 will lead you through a light breathing exercise specifically for anxiety

My friend, Nick Heath PhD, has a site, TheBreathingDiabetic.com, Nick's a Type 1 diabetic who found that slow breathing helps his blood glucose control. Here is a search of his site for slow breathing
August 09, 2023 04:21PM
GeorgeN
If your BP is normally low, be careful of Propranolol (or any BP med). My daughter's father in law was recently prescribed a beta blocker for afib and he passed out due to low BP, fell and cracked some vertebrae. This may not be an issue for you, especially in afib, but just be aware.

I think your issue with the quote above is that the ending

Some breathing techniques are good for anxiety. Don't know what you've tried. Here are some resources:

Physiological sigh's

Coherent Breathing (5.5 second inhale and exhale) a free app here or really anything around 4-6 breaths per minute has been shown to lower BP

This mp3 will lead you through a light breathing exercise specifically for anxiety

My friend, Nick Heath PhD, has a site, TheBreathingDiabetic.com, Nick's a Type 1 diabetic who found that slow breathing helps his blood glucose control. Here is a search of his site for slow breathing

thank you for the material George
August 09, 2023 05:37PM
an update after seeing an EP yesterday. He suggested Flecainide as a PIP, 300mg with no betablocker. I told him my concern of converting to flutters, but he confidently repeated few times not too worry about it, and that can only possibly happen when someone is on Flecainide every day.

On one side, the cardiologist just gave me some Propranolol as a PIP, and he didn't want me to take Flecainide unless I don't go into afib with the frequency of about every 3 months. The EP told me to go straight to Flec with the highest dose, without a betablocker.

What does everyone think about this? in the case of an event, I may try the beta-b to lower HR, then see how it goes and if I would not convert to normal sinus alone, then I would try perhaps 100mg Flec, is this a good plan?

by the way, does anyone use Propranolol here before taking Flec?

another good thing, the EP confirmed my stroke risk is 0, no need to take Equilos if that happens again. He said I could take aspirin if I wanted to if I'm staying more than 24 hours into afib. He also mentioned about Lone Afib, so it sounds like he is not up to date with the literature.

However, I thought he was really trying to figure out why I get it, and wants to see all tests I have done to confirm there is not a heart structure problem. He seems to love what he does and be very dedicated.
August 09, 2023 06:22PM
Marco
an update after seeing an EP yesterday. He suggested Flecainide as a PIP, 300mg with no betablocker. I told him my concern of converting to flutters, but he confidently repeated few times not too worry about it, and that can only possibly happen when someone is on Flecainide every day.

My recollection is that Shannon (one of our Moderators), had the 1:1 flutter issue (only PIP flec no chronic flec) while living in the Netherlands around 2008. Here is his story in his own words.

What is your weight?

I'm not a doc, but perhaps taking Propranolol, wait till your rate has settled down & take 200 mg and then wait a couple of hours & if not converted take the other 100. Others that take a BB with their PIP flec could tell you what they do. I'm not sure my son-in-law takes a BB. He's 140#'s, so his max is 200 mg. For a long time, he would take 100 mg PIP, then another 100. Turned out it always needed 200, so he now just takes 200.

I've personally taken 300 mg of flec without this issue many times & with no BB. I also think the risk is low, but obviously non-zero. As I've posted, the lower dose works better for me, but that doesn't mean this would be true for all.
August 09, 2023 06:35PM
GeorgeN

What is your weight?

I'm 190lb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login