Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

can Famotidine trigger an afib episode?

Posted by Edda 
can Famotidine trigger an afib episode?
July 29, 2023 06:40PM
My doctor just prescribed Famotidine for my acid reflux (I thought I had that under control with diet and supplements, but what I thought was post nasal drip seems to be acid reflux even thought I don't have any heartburn, just a constant cough. Kind of like silent GERD, I assume). According to the Mayo Clinic there seems to be a chance that Famotidine can trigger arrhythmia. Does anybody has any experience with it, or any ideas? I am basically opposed to acid blockers, but my throat looks pretty bad, and there is the constant coughing, so I thought I would take it for a short time.

Thanks,
Edda
Re: can Famotidine trigger an afib episode?
July 30, 2023 05:14PM
I can't talk personally about Famotidine being an afib trigger, because when I took it, my afib burden had been zero for many years.

As to your "silent "GERD" aka know as LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux) I've had some experience. H2 blockers like Famotidine didn't help me much, as is often the case with LPR. Unfortunately it's harder to treat than garden variety GERD. So, if you don't find symptom relief soon, you might have to step up to PPI's and probably with a double dose for at least a six week course.

The best person to treat LPR is an ENT as some Gastro's don't even recognize it. I'm also not crazy about acid suppression, however LPR was an afib trigger, so the PPIs not only helped my LPR but my afib.

In addition to PPI's, lifestyle changes can often help such as changing diet, losing weight, managing stress and not eating too soon before lying down. Raising the head of the bed on blocks works for some. Alginates like Gaviscon might also be worth a try. And then there's the old workhouse, Mylanta, which was used before the fancy drugs came about. Still use it now and then when things act up, just have to be careful to space it so that it will not interfere with the absorption of any of your medications.
July 30, 2023 10:33PM
Thank you mjamesone for your reply. The doctor who prescribed the Famotidine is an ENT, and I have the impression he is pretty good. I have non of the "regular" reflux symptoms, like regurgitation or any burning sensation, just a chronic cough. The reason I saw the ENT was this unexplained chronic cough. I am already doing everything recommended since I had a similar problem some years ago and for whatever reason it disappeared. Could be connected to stress and anxiety. The Gaviscon sounds intriguing. Never heard about it - will definitely try it

Thanks so much
July 31, 2023 09:43AM
For those who also have heartburn/GERD issues, there is an archived report titled, "No More Heartburn" that gives a variety of tips gleaned from various books on the topic.

Along with afib, I also struggled with heartburn until I began following the tips I learned about from the referenced books..

[www.afibbers.org]

Many years later, I remain GERD free but I still use a digestive enzyme with meals and with higher-protein meals, I also add supplemental betaine hydrochloride. With age, I've cut back on portion size of protein so the HCl dosage is lower.

Caution: If you have an ulcer, then do not use betaine hydrochloride

Newer clip on the benefits of HCl [annlouise.com]

Jackie
July 31, 2023 12:35PM
I've heard that a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar after a meal does two things: it retards and minimizes the rise in insulin from any carbs ingested, but the relevant matter here is that it raises the pH in the stomach for a better digestion. Indigestion is often a result of too little stomach acid, and with the indigestion often comes GERD.
July 31, 2023 01:14PM
Thanks Jackie!
July 31, 2023 01:15PM
Thank you gloaming
July 31, 2023 06:36PM
I made an error...it doesn't 'raise' the pH, it lowers it...meaning the acidity rises. Sorry...sloppy use of terms.
March 13, 2024 11:08PM
Hi mjamesone,

may I ask long were you on the Omeprazole and how much did you take? After taking famotidine for half a year and not only not making much progress, but also having much more afib episodes (instead of one every two years, four in six months) it occurred to me, that famotidine might indeed trigger my afib and I am now on Prilosec (20mg once a day in the morning). I was really reluctant, but after doing literally everything Jamie Koufman suggests I was ready to try the PPI. The strange thing is that I am having probably a healthier diet than 90 percent of the population and had since more than thirty years. I also always ate between 5 and 6 in the evening. Now I am not eating anything after 5, sleep on a wedge, all the dietary stuff, but still have sinusitis, post-nasal drip, cough, and a sore burning throat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login