Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weaning off Fleciande

Posted by Kleinkp 
Weaning off Fleciande
July 28, 2023 03:20PM
I have to do a heart monitor and nurse wants me off Flec&Met 7 days prior to attaching monitor to chest.

While meds are losing their effectiveness they still make life less miserable then the full onslaught of PVC's estimated burden is 10-20k daily.

So question is can I stay on meds longer prior to monitor like 2 or 3days before attaching monitor?

Any health harm in having 15k PVC daily I don't necessarily feel sick just gives me extreme anxiety?

Thanks!
Re: Weaning off Fleciande
July 28, 2023 03:56PM
Kleinkp

Any health harm in having 15k PVC daily I don't necessarily feel sick just gives me extreme anxiety?

Thanks!

"Excessive atrial ectopic activity was defined as ≥30 PAC per hour or a single run of ≥20. Over a median follow-up period of 76 months, it was found that excessive PAC were associated with a >60% increase in the risk of death or stroke, and a 2.7-fold increase in the development of AF."

[www.emjreviews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2023 04:01PM by colindo.
July 28, 2023 05:08PM
Kleinkp
I have to do a heart monitor and nurse wants me off Flec&Met 7 days prior to attaching monitor to chest.

While meds are losing their effectiveness they still make life less miserable then the full onslaught of PVC's estimated burden is 10-20k daily.

So question is can I stay on meds longer prior to monitor like 2 or 3days before attaching monitor?

Thanks!
What you are being encouraged to do makes a great deal of sense...unfortunately, and I know it's not what you want to see from me. Try to look at the long game. Would you rather have decisions made about your immediate future care based on a tainted result, tainted because of two drugs that alter your heart's behavior, or would you rather tough it out for a week and get a factual and accurate assessment of your heart's true health and performance? I can't answer for you, but I sincerely hope you know what my choice would be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2023 03:26PM by gloaming.
July 28, 2023 05:26PM
Kleinkp

Flecainide has a pretty long half life--at least when I was prescribed what turned out to be an overdose it took many days for the effects to wear off. I'd follow the nurse's recommendations.
July 28, 2023 07:27PM
Kleinkp

For a short period of time? No, none whatsoever.

Daisy's answer is correct about the long half-life of flecainide, and gloaming's answer is correct about putting up with short-term discomfort to get accurate results. Think of it like a colonoscopy. Nobody likes the prep, but if you want good results, you've got to put up with it.

Maybe ask your doc for a short-term prescription for Xanax or another anti-anxiety me.
July 28, 2023 08:56PM
Thanks everyone I figured I knew the answer alreadysmiling smiley.

Really need to address these PVC's and want to address before Natale enjoys very deserved retirement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login