Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in atrial fibrosis

Posted by Marco 
Sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in atrial fibrosis
July 26, 2023 08:09PM
Summary and prospect

Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common malignant arrhythmia in clinic. It is estimated that more than 33 million people worldwide are affected by AF (Christophersen et al., 2017). In recent years, China has become the country with the largest number of patients with AF in the world, and the prevalence of AF will further increase with the aging of the population in China (Christophersen et al., 2017; Hindricks et al., 2021). Currently, research shows that atrial fibrosis is an important reason for the occurrence and progress of AF, and its formation and progress are related to transforming growth factor1 (TGF-β1), renin angiotensin aldosterone system (RAAS), inflammation, rlatelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) and miRNAs (Li et al., 2021). However, the mechanisms have not been fully clarified. More and more studies have focused on the important role of sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in the formation and development of atrial fibrosis. Taurine and H2S inhibit atrial fibrosis through their anti-inflammatory effects and ion channel regulation (Sheng et al., 2013; Yang et al., 2017), and homocysteine inhibits atrial fibrosis by promoting the interaction between TRPC3 and SIRT1 (Han et al., 2020). These findings provide new ideas for the prevention and treatment of atrial fibrosis and AF.

Although people have known some about the operations of sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites (Townsend et al., 2004; Kolluru et al., 2022), there are still a lot of specific mechanisms, mediators and conditions which might affect the progression of atrial fibrosis need to be explored. For example, how the metabolites of sulfur-containing amino acids affect the progression of atrial fibrosis?How the key enzymes of sulfide synthesis play a role in atrial structural remodeling and electrical remodeling?What are the direct targets of sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in promoting or inhibiting the formation and progression of atrial fibrosis? The role of sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in the occurrence and development of atrial fibrosis and the related molecular mechanisms have not been clarified, and a lot of in-depth research works are still needed in the future. Further elucidating the mechanism of sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in the development of atrial fibrosis will provide a new basis for early diagnosis, prevention and targeted treatment of atrial fibrosis.

full study
[www.frontiersin.org]
Re: Sulfur-containing amino acids and their metabolites in atrial fibrosis
July 26, 2023 08:12PM
More on Taurine. However, study was done in rats:

Taurine Reverses Atrial Structural Remodeling in Ach-Cacl2 Induced Atrial Fibrillation Rats

Qunhui Yang 1, Gaofeng Wu 1, Limei Han 1, Ying Feng 1, Shumei Lin 1, Qiufeng Lv 1, Jiancheng Yang 1, Jianmin Hu 2
Affiliations expand
PMID: 28849503 DOI: 10.1007/978-94-024-1079-2_65
Abstract
Taurine has been reported to have anti-arrhythmia effects, but the anti-atrial fibrillation (AF) effects and its mechanism remain incompletely understood. In the present study, the therapy effects and partly mechanisms were investigated. AF animal model was established by intravenous administered with the mixture of acetylcholine (Ach) and CaCl2 (66 μg/mL + 10 mg/mL) (i.v.) for 7 days. The actions of taurine (99 mg/kg∙d, introgastric administration) on the levels of Hs-CRP, IL-6, TNF-α, MMP-9, AngII, the extent of the fibrosis and ultrastructural changes in left atrial were studied. The data showed that the serum levels of TNF-α, IL-6, AngII and the plasma levels of Hs-CRP and MMP-9 were significantly elevated in automatic recovery group relative to the control group (p < 0.01), which were all decreased by taurine administration (p < 0.01) similar to Verapamil treatment. Masson's trichrome staining of the left atrial tissue showed an obvious interstitial fibrosis in rats of automatic recovery group. The alteration could be reversed by additional taurine. Electron microscopy revealed that taurine administration could significantly alleviate the ultrastructural damage of atrial cells, and the effects were similar to the Verapamil treatment. In conclusion, the results suggested that taurine could inhibit the structural remodeling of AF in rats partly by decreasing the levels of inflammatory factors and profibrotic molecules, attenuating the extent of myocardial fibrosis and protecting the integrity of myocardial ultrastructure.

Keywords: Atrial fibrillation; Fibrosis; Inflammatory factors; Taurine; Ultrastructure.
July 26, 2023 10:59PM
This is an interesting video where Harry Serpanos, big proponent of Taurine supplementation, mention he used 20gr of taurine to reduce fibrosis in his body, as he had a mini heart attack. He claims, most people all the need is 2 to 6gr of supplemental Taurine, more if there is an issue. Has anyone in the forum experimented with high dose Taurine in order to reverse atrial fibrosis?

Video worth watching [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 03:11PM by Marco.
July 27, 2023 07:51AM
Yes - Marco... Thanks for these.

Important to know about the benefits of Taurine and glad to see you referencing these studies.

About 20 years ago, I offered a post on this topic... and since then, many reports have been published.
Here's the original.... [afibbers.org] plus more in the archives.

Jackie
July 27, 2023 11:05AM
Taurine did nothing for me.

Not sure that senolytics are advisable after an ablation. Might remove the scar Dr. N put in place.
July 27, 2023 03:16PM
Jackie

Important to know about the benefits of Taurine and glad to see you referencing these studies.

About 20 years ago, I offered a post on this topic... and since then, many reports have been published.

Jackie

thank you Jackie. If I find any more recent data on Taurine I will post it here.
July 27, 2023 06:17PM
PavanPharter
Not sure that senolytics are advisable after an ablation. Might remove the scar Dr. N put in place.

What do others think about this?
July 27, 2023 07:37PM
I dunno...if my left atrium didn't have any fibroids, it would have nothing to play with all day!
July 27, 2023 08:52PM
Marco
In the present study, the therapy effects and partly mechanisms were investigated. AF animal model was established by intravenous administered with the mixture of acetylcholine (Ach) and CaCl2 (66 μg/mL + 10 mg/mL) (i.v.) for 7 days. The actions of taurine (99 mg/kg∙d, introgastric administration) on the levels of Hs-CRP, IL-6, TNF-α, MMP-9, AngII, the extent of the fibrosis and ultrastructural changes in left atrial were studied. The data showed that the serum levels of TNF-α, IL-6, AngII and the plasma levels of Hs-CRP and MMP-9 were significantly elevated in automatic recovery group relative to the control group (p < 0.01), which were all decreased by taurine administration (p < 0.01) similar to Verapamil treatment.

FWIW, I used 4g taurine/day for 2.5 years initially and 2g taurine a day for the next 16 years till present as part of my afib remission program. My Hs-CRP is always < 0.3 mg/L (goal <1.0 and mine is as low as this lab's test goes), IL-6 runs 0.4-0.9 pg/mL (goal < 4.5), last TNF-α was 1.2 pg/mL (goal < 3.0).
July 27, 2023 10:42PM
Jackie

Jackie

I really enjoyed reading this paper. Lots of the info seems in line with what Harry Sarpanos (the guy on the video I linked) says about Taurine.

I see on the paper, that Robert Crayhon found in his practice that the most helpful nutrient he was successful with in solving arrythmia are Taurine, Mg and Fish oil as well. Good to see the Fish Oil as well in the mix

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2023 10:44PM by Marco.
July 27, 2023 10:49PM
GeorgeN

In the present study, the therapy effects and partly mechanisms were investigated. AF animal model was established by intravenous administered with the mixture of acetylcholine (Ach) and CaCl2 (66 μg/mL + 10 mg/mL) (i.v.) for 7 days. The actions of taurine (99 mg/kg∙d, introgastric administration) on the levels of Hs-CRP, IL-6, TNF-α, MMP-9, AngII, the extent of the fibrosis and ultrastructural changes in left atrial were studied. The data showed that the serum levels of TNF-α, IL-6, AngII and the plasma levels of Hs-CRP and MMP-9 were significantly elevated in automatic recovery group relative to the control group (p < 0.01), which were all decreased by taurine administration (p < 0.01) similar to Verapamil treatment.

FWIW, I used 4g taurine/day for 2.5 years initially and 2g taurine a day for the next 16 years till present as part of my afib remission program. My Hs-CRP is always < 0.3 mg/L (goal <1.0 and mine is as low as this lab's test goes), IL-6 runs 0.4-0.9 pg/mL (goal < 4.5), last TNF-α was 1.2 pg/mL (goal < 3.0).

I may be realizing, that perhaps 2/3gr of Taurine may be good for the average Joe out there with no Afib. I may think we can possibly need more, at least during the "recovering" phase which may last years. Still, at the moment I take a conservative 3gr daily.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login