Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to understand some TEE for Watchman results (EF)

Posted by Madeline 
how to understand some TEE for Watchman results (EF)
July 26, 2023 03:17PM
Hello,

I am making some notes in my files re my Watchman and my 1st TEE post-Watchman in April. I have a copy of the TEE & I wanted to ask about this statement in their report: 1. Low normal left ventricular ejection fraction with normal cavity size.

Note I had LAA ablation in August (with some pericardial effusion of ~200 mL & pericardiocentesis) & a TEE in November with a tad more ablation before what I thought was to be Watchman placement, but that ended up being postponed until January due to letting inflammation settle down first, and then the 1st post-Watchman TEE in Austin in April..

I read on Internet that an ejection fraction in the range of 54-74% for women age 70 is normal. I am 73. I do not know my exact ejection fraction number.

I would like to tag one more question on here: I am taking Eliquis 2.5 mg b.i.d. I was told I could still take turmeric/curcumin 95% extract but not told what amount. One pill could be 500-650 (depending on which kind I take) & 2 pills would be 1000-1300 mg. Are the higher doses safe to take now? My cardiologist did say to stop Ginkgo though.

Thank you.
Re: how to understand some TEE for Watchman results (EF)
July 26, 2023 04:13PM
Saw on report that my EF was 55%

- FINDINGS:
1. There is low normal LVEF approximately 55% with no significant wall motion
abnormalities.

Any other contributions from you re this & also my turmeric intake now are appreciated.

Thanks,
July 26, 2023 04:16PM
Madeline
abnormalities.

That's perfectly normal.

What's the purpose of the turmeric?
July 26, 2023 04:48PM
Carey

abnormalities.

That's perfectly normal.

What's the purpose of the turmeric?

Turmeric is advised by many for inflammation, joint aches/pain, an alzheimer prevention supp & a host of other things. My cardiologist said I could continue to take it whenever I asked a while back, but I never got a dosage recommendation. I did not know if it would enhance the blood thinning since I am also on Eliquis.

Here is a site with info: [www.mountsinai.org]

Dr. David Perlmutter recommends it (along with other supp recommendation) in his book Grain Brain. In re-looking at his book, I see he said 350 mg b.i.d. (copyright date 2013)
July 26, 2023 04:50PM
My memory might be letting me down, but isn't turmeric contraindicated if taking anti-coagulants....?
July 26, 2023 05:15PM
gloaming
My memory might be letting me down, but isn't turmeric contraindicated if taking anti-coagulants....?

Apparently not, because my cardiologist is pretty strict & he ok'd it, but not the ginkgo I had previously been taking. That said, I don't want to push it by perhaps taking too much, bec like you, I always thought it also had thinning properties. Saying that, remember what Carey has explained to us, about blood thinners not really thinning the blood, I think just slows down clotting or something like that - sorry Carey, can't look it up right this second.
July 26, 2023 08:23PM
No problem. That's correct -- "blood thinners" don't thin anything nor do they cause bleeds. They simply slow the clotting process, so if you start bleeding for some reason, you will bleed longer when on an anticoagulant. But the AC didn't cause the bleeding and it didn't thin your blood.
July 26, 2023 09:10PM
Madeline

Apparently not, because my cardiologist is pretty strict & he ok'd it, but not the ginkgo I had previously been taking. That said, I don't want to push it by perhaps taking too much, bec like you, I always thought it also had thinning properties. Saying that, remember what Carey has explained to us, about blood thinners not really thinning the blood, I think just slows down clotting or something like that - sorry Carey, can't look it up right this second.

I correct myself somewhat Gloaming. I read the article fr Mt Sinai that I put out there in earlier post & it did say:

"Because turmeric may act like a blood thinner, you should stop taking it at least 2 weeks before surgery. Tell your doctor and surgeon that you have been taking turmeric. Turmeric may strengthen the effects of these drugs, raising the risk of bleeding. Blood thinners include warfarin (Coumadin), clopidogrel (Plavix), and aspirin, among others."

So, I am thinking based on looking into this more that I will just take one of the 500 mg pills a day rather than two, unless I feel more joint pain and then occasionally two turmeric (1000 mg) would probably be okay since it would be short term & I am only on 2.5 mg Eliquis b.i.d.
July 27, 2023 03:41PM
Okay, that's good to see. I have been taking Eliquis since September of 2017, and recall engaging my daughter's MIL, who has issues and must be careful about what she ingests, in a conversation about supplements. She takes turmeric, but I think she said to be careful if taking 'thinners' or anti-coagulants. Naturally, I looked as soon as I was near a computer, and I recall reading that one must always look for other 'thinners' that one might ingest by mistake and compound or even counteract something prescribed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login