Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A bit off topic: wife need Aortic Valve Replacement

Posted by Poppino 
A bit off topic: wife need Aortic Valve Replacement
July 24, 2023 05:45PM
Just fishing for any info: my wife 70 has a heart murmur since childhood. Upon yearly physical she was sent to cardio. Aortic stenosis almost severe, we meet surgeon 8/1
Pig valve? Mech valve? Open or trans vascular ? Oh my any thoughts appreciated

BTW 8/6 is my 2 yr Natale LAA flutter ablation. Ill do a report lol
Tom
Re: A bit off topic: wife need Aortic Valve Replacement
July 24, 2023 08:20PM
I believe that's a pretty complex choice specific to your wife's particulars beyond our ability to opine on, so I'm going to go with the obvious response:

When is the appointment for a second opinion?

You've got two major medical centers close to you, so I would get one from each.
July 24, 2023 11:43PM
I’m kicking the can down the road in a very similar situation. Carey’s advice is solid. We’re all unique and special. The good news is that valve replacement has come a long way, is pretty routine these days, and has a high degree of success. Your wife is in your good hands, Poppino. Wishing you the best of luck.
July 25, 2023 01:50AM
Look up 'cardio,TAVR'. My 93 year-old father had this done last Tuesday. It's a bit more involved than an ablation, but in a different way, and the groin access is the same. If things seem to 'go wrong' , a stand-by heart surgeon will, by previous consent, open up the patient's chest and install the aortic valve (a stenting of what exists).

My father was released uneventfully the following morning, but kept overnight for observation. The first 24 hours diminishes any risk considerably, so that's why the over night stay.

The valve comprises some metal and some tissue. Beyond that, I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2023 04:03PM by gloaming.
July 25, 2023 04:39AM
Great info gloaming! I was curious and googled the procedure.

[www.heart.org]
July 25, 2023 08:03AM
Thankyou all. Second opinion we had not discussed. Her Dr has been with sanger many years. Cornell Harvard. My EP here Dr Holshouser loves him. We see him 8/1 so we ll have a good feel then
July 26, 2023 07:49AM
I have two aortic things. had a stent put in. aortic stent. can't recall if that was for the stenosis. I am off and running today but PM me. I'll look it up later. Done by a cath guy at a children's hosptial (UofM). I didn't read all the responses because I need to go but again PM me and I'll tell you more. ps I just did glance at the comments. we are all unique. second opinions are necessary. I just can tell you my stuff.. for me.. and how it worked out (well).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2023 07:50AM by bettylou4488.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login