Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Supplements ?

Posted by Sunshine13 
Magnesium Supplements ?
July 23, 2023 10:51AM
I read an article the other day that a fibbers should be on some sort of magnesium and Vit D3 supplement. I have occasionally taken Vit D . My cardio has never mentioned to take magnesium but am sure it does help . I am so overwhelmed because there are so many on the market today. , I was wondering if you all can share what has worked for you. Thank you !
Re: Magnesium Supplements ?
July 23, 2023 12:53PM
Sunshine13
I was wondering if you all can share what has worked for you.

It is interesting. In many emergency departments, IV mag is used to convert afib in patients. It was used this way for a friend's 90 year old mother. One of my climbing partners is an emergency MD and I've chatted with him about this. He confirmed they used magnesium (usually as sulfate in the IV) in this way. For whatever reason, many cardios and EP's don't bring this up. It has been an integral & necessary part of my 19 year afib remission program and was accepted by the EP way back then. In fact he suggested consuming vitamin B-6 with it for better results. My understanding is it is better to take the P5P (Pyridoxal 5 Phosphate) version of B-6.

For me, any magnesium works, in sufficient quantity (which is very large, in my case - I've tried every form: oxide, malate, citrate, chloride, glycinate, taurate, glycinate, bicarbonate, acetate, sulfate and probably a few I'm forgetting). Oxide is generally considered the least bioavailable, but even that has worked for me. Over the years here, many have found that magnesium glycinate is a safe bet. Albion makes supplements, like magnesium glycinate (sometimes "Chelated" or "bisglycinate") that they sell to supplement makers, Their TRACCS branded mag glycinate again is a safe bet. An Amazon search on magnesium and TRACCS or Albion or bisglycinate (ignoring sponsored listings) should bring up some products. With magnesium, pay attention to serving size. Sometimes they will say "400" in the title as that is about the RDA. It may take 2 or 3 tablets to get to the 400.

Here are a couple of products with the Albion TRACCS included:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Years ago, 20+ year member Jackie collaborated with the late Erling Waller (he passed a couple of years ago at age ~91) to develop a recipe for magnesium bicarbonate (which has to be liquid). They were mimicking a natural source in Australia that was bottled and sold. Essentially you chill soda (carbonated) water and then put a measured amount of milk of magnesia (a solution of magnesium hydroxide and purified water). The MoM will react over time (7 or so hours) to make a concentrated magnesium bicarbonate solution. In the recipe, they dilute this and then use the diluted water for drinking or soup making & etc. over the day. Erling said it did a good job of keeping his afib at bay. In this link [www.afibbers.org] there is a link to the recipe as well as to some stuff Erling posted on all the research that was done in Australia on the magnesium bicarb water. In my linked post, there is also a recipe link for magnesium acetate. Kind of the same idea, but taking the MoM and reacting it with vinegar (in a 2 MoM to 7 vinegar ratio) to make magnesium acetate. I always use organic apple cider vinegar when I do this. The mag acetate is supposed to convert to bicarb in the body, so you get to the same place. The recipe is quicker as you don't need to chill anything first and the reaction happens much faster. In the rest of the thread that I posted in, there is discussion in other posts and to what various members thought was good magnesium for them.

For me, I've always pushed the quantity to bowel tolerance. As this is HIGHLY individual, start low (maybe 200-300 mg of magnesium/day) and slowly increase till you notice that your stools are getting a little loose, then back off a bit.

Moderator Shannon here used IV mag weekly for a period of time (he may still, we've not chatted about this in some time).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2023 01:00PM by GeorgeN.
July 23, 2023 04:37PM
I’m a fan of this product.—sorry no link because Amazon detected I’m not in the states so the link isn’t in English.

Visit the OmniBiotics Store

Magnesium Glycinate - 100% Pure Albion TRACS Bisglycinate
Chelate Supplement - 200 mg - 120 Vegetarian Capsules
July 23, 2023 07:12PM
George N ,
Thank you so much for taking the time and passing on the info. I looked them both up and probably will go with the magnesium glycinate. I want to take one that doesn’t have a lot of fillers. Am already on a lot of other medications and trying to control things without killing my kidneys. Thanks again !
August 01, 2023 11:11PM
I am a magnesium waster and have been tracking my red blood cell magnesium levels every 3 months or so to determine which form of magnesium is best for me. We are all a little different. I take Mg Glycinate Chelate orally to bowel tolerance, but it I get low in magnesium due to stress, a one hour "float" in a magnesium sulphate bath really boosts it back up there. I use at least 4 to 5 cups in my tub, or even better, when I can splurge, I'll go to one of the commercial "float" spas. You can really feel the difference after one of those! The aren't as expensive if you buy a package...... I believe keeping the Mg level at a good place has helped a lot to keep me out of Afib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login