Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PEMF RISKS 2

Posted by JAYHAWK 
PEMF RISKS 2
July 10, 2023 12:28PM
I came here today to pose a question about any potential risks with PEMF (pulsed electro magnetic field) therapy and atrial fibrillation.. To my surprise the question was asked last week!!!

However, the question evolved into a discussion on another topic. So want to raise the question again.

I am a 76 year old aging athlete who has developed arthritis over the years as a result of playing sports.....have bilateral knee replacements and a hip replacement. Now I have severe arthritis in my neck, shoulders and back (get steroid injections periodically). I continue to "attempt" to stay in shape, but it is getting more difficult......more post work-out discomfort and longer recovery time. The people at my gym suggested that I might consider cryotherapy.

I started six months ago and it seems to have benefit. The facility I go to has other therapies that I also now use.....PBM (photo biomodulation) therapy and PEMF.. Have just recently started the PEMF. Today I had a conversation with the general manager of the facility about any contradiction with arrhythmia or an ablation. They had another client who had an ablation 10 years ago and opted to not use PEMF.

Other than the question from last week.....do not remember seeing the subject being discussed. Would welcome any thoughts or opinions.

I do not view any of these therapies as a cure....only a potential relief. Even though it has been recommended, adamantly against shoulder replacement.

Thanks

Steve
Spriing, Tx.
Re: PEMF RISKS 2
July 10, 2023 08:53PM
JAYHAWK
Other than the question from last week.....do not remember seeing the subject being discussed. Would welcome any thoughts or opinions.

Hi Steve,

We have two PEMF devices, one that I got to help sleep and has coils you put under the mattress. Didn't help sleep, but also had no association with causing afib (I'm not ablated, but have excellent control). The other device was a high end one that friends swear works wonders for their aches & pains. Got it primarily for my wife, but I've used it too. Again no no association with causing afib.

Other thoughts. One would be isometrics. Since there is not joint movement, many folks swear that they've gotten better when they do isometric vs. isotonic exercises. I'm prone to 90 second "Timed Static Contractions (TSC)." Basically the first 30 seconds is at 50% effort, the next 30 seconds at 70% and the last 30 seconds at 100% or "as hard as you dare." You ease through all the transitions, without an abrupt increase in effort. This minimizes chance of injury as does the long duration. By the time you are exerting yourself hard, your force output would have declined quite a bit. Here is a reference.. You can do this with a "Forearm Forklift" strap. Here is a link & you'll get two, though you only need one. If any interest, I can provide links to video demonstrations.

Another thought would be KAATSU BFR training. These are pneumatic bands inflated and deflated by a computer controlled compressor. You place them on the upper part of your arms or legs (not both at the same time). This creates a mild hypoxic environment in the muscles. This metabolically shifts muscle recruitment from the aerobic type 1 muscle fibers to the anaerobic type 2 fibers. For strength training, you'd use say 30% of your one rep max for weight and do 3 sets of 30 reps (to failure and the last sets are commonly much fewer reps). This is an excellent way to train. You can also get much benefit just doing cycles (30 seconds inflated, 5 seconds deflated) with one round being 8 cycles. In Japan this a very common way for the elderly to stay fit. The bands are expensive, but for me, they are very worthwhile. My niece used mine to help with recovery from her ACL knee operation and got a much faster than expected recovery. My wife is using hers now for the knee replacement she just got on Friday.

Again, I can provide more info if interested. I'm 68, so a few years behind you.
July 12, 2023 11:45AM
Thanks George!!

Thanks for your comments and open to any potential ideas. That is why I opted to try cryotherapy is the first place.. Also appreciate your thoughts on PEMF....unless I find a reason to not use will continue.

The only downside to these therapies is the cost......it is outrageously expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
July 12, 2023 01:56PM
JAYHAWK

The only downside to these therapies is the cost......it is outrageously expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Some years ago I purchased a PEMF, after a two week trial, it was for my wife who had shoulder and arm pain for years. It cured it. She highly recommends it.
She also gets afib about twice a year, it doesn't seem to cause any problems in that regard.
July 12, 2023 03:37PM
Anyone know about the risks of PEMF and pacemakers? I’ve read conflicting reports. I would be using a PEMF mat for joint pain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login