Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

just wondering

Posted by alfrae13 
just wondering
July 07, 2023 05:01PM
I am a 92 year old male with paryxmal afib. It occurs in between 3 to 7 days intervals. I am on propranolol and eliquis. When it occurs I get shaky, weak and tired. My HR is normal. I take 100mg Flecainide , go to bed and mostly sleep. After about 2 hours usually I am back to NSR. I wonder how people cope with persistent afib if they have the similar reactions and should mine turn persistent what could happen
Re: just wondering
July 08, 2023 03:42AM
Persitent AF is more difficult to treat with ablation, but it can be controlled somewhat with anti-arrhythmic medication and/or rate control (metoprolol). So, we urge people to consult an electrophysiologist about ablation while ablation has a better chance of working, and not when it becomes persistent.
July 08, 2023 06:05AM
Well the basics of being in persistent AFIB, would be Anti-Coagulation, HR control along with monitoring Blood Pressure.

Sounds like you are on Eliquis, and your HR is normal while in AFIB? How is your blood pressure?, as the Propranlol lowers BP.

Hopefully, as long as your HR and BP were in range, your body would compensate for being in AFIB, and you would feel better as time went on. AFIB affects breathing, oxygenation of the blood, and the nervous and endocrine systems. Over time your body may handle this better.

People often have to adjust and change medications to help them cope. It's possible the Flecainide is causing some of the "When it occurs I get shaky, weak and tired". Do you just take the Flecainide when you get an episode?
July 08, 2023 03:49PM
my BP is normal although on the low side. The shaky feelings I get before I take Flec. This is the way I know I am in afib. HR never exceeds 90 After taking flec, after about 2 hours I am back to normal
July 23, 2023 09:08PM
IDK - at 92 I'd just stick with what works and enjoy yourself. Flec never worked for me so I had to get an ablation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login