Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D to the rescue..... once again

Posted by PavanPharter 
Vitamin D to the rescue..... once again
June 29, 2023 08:37AM
Taking higher-than-recommended doses of vitamin D for five years reduced the risk of atrial fibrillation in older men and women, according to a new study from the University of Eastern Finland.

Atrial fibrillation is the most common arrhythmia, the risk of which increases with age, and which is associated with an increased risk of stroke, heart failure and mortality. Vitamin D has been shown to have an effect, for example, on the atrial structure and the electrical function of the heart, suggesting that vitamin D might prevent atrial fibrillation.

[www.news-medical.net]

During the five-year study, 190 participants were diagnosed with atrial fibrillation: 76 in the placebo group, 59 in the 40 micrograms group, and 55 in the 80 micrograms group. The risk of atrial fibrillation was 27% lower in the 40 micrograms group, and 32% lower in the 80 micrograms group, when compared to the placebo group. In the sub-cohort selected for more detailed examinations, the mean baseline serum calcidiol concentration, which is a marker of the body’s vitamin D concentration, was relatively high, 75 nmol/l. After one year, the mean calcidiol concentration was 100 nmol/l in the 40 micrograms group, and 120 nmol/l in the 80 micrograms group. No significant change in the calcidiol concentration was observed in the placebo group.

120nm/mmol equals about 48ng/ml
Re: Vitamin D to the rescue..... once again
June 29, 2023 06:35PM
thanks for posting this. Even with vitamin D, I believe there is a U shaped curve. Probably staying around 50ng/dl is best

PavanPharter
Taking higher-than-recommended doses of vitamin D for five years reduced the risk of atrial fibrillation in older men and women, according to a new study from the University of Eastern Finland.

Atrial fibrillation is the most common arrhythmia, the risk of which increases with age, and which is associated with an increased risk of stroke, heart failure and mortality. Vitamin D has been shown to have an effect, for example, on the atrial structure and the electrical function of the heart, suggesting that vitamin D might prevent atrial fibrillation.

[www.news-medical.net]

During the five-year study, 190 participants were diagnosed with atrial fibrillation: 76 in the placebo group, 59 in the 40 micrograms group, and 55 in the 80 micrograms group. The risk of atrial fibrillation was 27% lower in the 40 micrograms group, and 32% lower in the 80 micrograms group, when compared to the placebo group. In the sub-cohort selected for more detailed examinations, the mean baseline serum calcidiol concentration, which is a marker of the body’s vitamin D concentration, was relatively high, 75 nmol/l. After one year, the mean calcidiol concentration was 100 nmol/l in the 40 micrograms group, and 120 nmol/l in the 80 micrograms group. No significant change in the calcidiol concentration was observed in the placebo group.

120nm/mmol equals about 48ng/ml
June 30, 2023 10:29AM
Saw the same study and posted, any concerns about toxic levels? I know the body eliminates what it does not need.
June 30, 2023 10:34AM
That is incorrect - D is fat soluble. I personally believe 64ng/ml is a good target but I know of others that go above 100ng/ml

The study referenced only went to 48 it's unknowable if more D is beneficial or harmful per the study. There is often a sweet spot ((U or J) shaped curve for these things. EPA/DHA is one of those.
June 30, 2023 02:14PM
Three years ago, I found out my VD was only 28 through annal blood test. Family doc told me to start taking 2000 IU D3 per day. I took it off and on for two years. Last year it increased to 36, better but still low. A month ago I watched Dr Berg's video about taking 10,000 IU of D3 per day, so I decided to up my intake. I bought Sports Research D3 + K2, it has125 mcg. Vitamin D3, 5000 IU With 100 mcg. Vitamin K2, as MK-7. Soon after I took the first softgel I felt my HR elevated and it sent me into Afib. I've been taking 2000 IU per day without issue. Everybody is different I guess 5000 IU is beyond my limit.
June 30, 2023 03:40PM
sldabrowski
Saw the same study and posted, any concerns about toxic levels? I know the body eliminates what it does not need.

The concern it is not with toxicity, but rather with calcium metabolism, too much vit D can raise calcium in the blood, not good for us. The I know, the body only regulates vitamin D synthesis till a certain point, with sun exposure only. That means, there is no worry to get excess from the sun. I don't think there is any mechanisms that alter vit D metabolism from ingested supplement, so there is a chance we can get too much.

Years ago, I read a book called "perfect diet" by Paul Jaminet. He assumed that optimal vitamin D levels, based solely on maximum time to sun exposure, reaches I believe not more than 50 or so ng/dl. So that was his physiological vitamin D level for better health.
June 30, 2023 03:43PM
Yuxi
Three years ago, I found out my VD was only 28 through annal blood test. Family doc told me to start taking 2000 IU D3 per day. I took it off and on for two years. Last year it increased to 36, better but still low. A month ago I watched Dr Berg's video about taking 10,000 IU of D3 per day, so I decided to up my intake. I bought Sports Research D3 + K2, it has125 mcg. Vitamin D3, 5000 IU With 100 mcg. Vitamin K2, as MK-7. Soon after I took the first softgel I felt my HR elevated and it sent me into Afib. I've been taking 2000 IU per day without issue. Everybody is different I guess 5000 IU is beyond my limit.

Hi Yuxi, I have seen many people who have very low Calcium diet, or avoiding Calcium all together, having palpitations issues with the Vitamin K2. I'm wondering what was your Calcium intake then.
June 30, 2023 04:09PM
Marco, I do not supplement Calcium, my daily Calcium intake is solely from food and is around 500 IU. I only take K2 when I take D3. Are you saying K2 causes palpitations for people with low calcium intake? why?
June 30, 2023 05:28PM
Yuxi
Marco, I do not supplement Calcium, my daily Calcium intake is solely from food and is around 500 IU. I only take K2 when I take D3. Are you saying K2 causes palpitations for people with low calcium intake? why?

This is just what I have observed throughout the years. Some one complained about palpitation with K2 (mk7) on a low calcium diet years ago, and I have been keeping an open eye about this subject. Every time someone has palps on K2 I ask how calcium intake is, and often people avoid it all together, including dairy. My speculation is because calcium in the blood may fall low or perhaps below range, causing the palpitations. The mk7 of K2 has a long half-life.

Perhaps was not your case, maybe just the Vitamin D was too much.
June 30, 2023 06:35PM
Marco
Someone complained about palpitation with K2 (mk7) on a low calcium diet years ago, and I have been keeping an open eye about this subject.

FWIW, I take a product with 25 mg K2 MK-4 and 500 mcg K2 MK-7. I keep my calcium intake <500 mg/day. I have taken 10,000 IU's D3/day for long periods and run my 25OHD north of 100 ng/dL (per my doc's suggestion). I currently try to get all my D from UV exposure, so my 25OHD is more like 60 ng/dL. From this post, there is a link to a study that consuming EVOO with K2 MK-7 materially increases serum levels of MK-7.
June 30, 2023 06:35PM
I take 5000 IU of D3 together with K2 MK7. I don’t take any supplemental calcium and I avoid dairy, but I don’t have a problem with palps—must be individual.
July 01, 2023 05:48PM
GeorgeN

Someone complained about palpitation with K2 (mk7) on a low calcium diet years ago, and I have been keeping an open eye about this subject.

FWIW, I take a product with 25 mg K2 MK-4 and 500 mcg K2 MK-7. I keep my calcium intake <500 mg/day. I have taken 10,000 IU's D3/day for long periods and run my 25OHD north of 100 ng/dL (per my doc's suggestion). I currently try to get all my D from UV exposure, so my 25OHD is more like 60 ng/dL. From this post, there is a link to a study that consuming EVOO with K2 MK-7 materially increases serum levels of MK-7.

thanks for your feedback. I may believe based on your experience as well, Paul Jaminett in his book was right. Sun exposure generally never generate more than about 50 ng/dl. Naturally, we may not get to the 100 ng/dl, the body could possibly stop Vitamin D synthesis before. Supplements are useful, but sometime we may exceed the human body physiological threshold complicating things.

I have started doing the same, only getting my Vitamin D from the sun. I may plan during the winter to maintain it with only 2000IU if D.
July 01, 2023 05:50PM
Daisy
I take 5000 IU of D3 together with K2 MK7. I don’t take any supplemental calcium and I avoid dairy, but I don’t have a problem with palps—must be individual.

I'm trying to learn more on the Ca to Mg ratio, curios to know your total daily Mg intake
July 01, 2023 06:02PM
Marco

I'm trying to learn more on the Ca to Mg ratio, curios to know your total daily Mg intake

I supplement about 1000 mg of magnesium per day and while I don’t supplement calcium, I do eat calcium-rich foods, but not dairy which I react to.
July 01, 2023 11:01PM
Daisy

I supplement about 1000 mg of magnesium per day and while I don’t supplement calcium, I do eat calcium-rich foods, but not dairy which I react to.

do you how much is your daily calcium intake?
July 02, 2023 10:40AM
Marco
do you how much is your daily calcium intake?

Sorry, I don’t track it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login