Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metoprolol and AFIB

Posted by Aoife5 
Metoprolol and AFIB
June 17, 2023 01:58PM
I had an ablation, 15 days ago, had an issue two days later but I have been in sinus for over ten days. I did take Colchicine for a week post ablation. I am off Flecainide, I still have the bothersome cough with no edema or Sp02 96%.
The cough has not abated, this morning I woke up in Afib, disappointed but I know this can happen. I read that there is a correlation between Metoprolol, hypotension and AFib, I am still taking Metoprolol 25mg twice daily. My BP Is 83/59
Prior to ablation, I was taking Metoprolol 25mg twice daily and Eliquis with no issue.
Re: Metoprolol and AFIB
June 17, 2023 06:12PM
Aoife5
I read that there is a correlation between Metoprolol, hypotension and AFib

What do you mean by this? There's a correlation in that lots of people with afib take metoprolol, and metoprolol lowers blood pressure, but did you read something implying that metoprolol and/or hypotension are somehow causes of afib? If so, that's just not true. It's almost the opposite.

With a BP of 83/59 you shouldn't be taking metoprolol at all. You should talk to your EP. An antiarrhythmic other than flecainide is probably a good idea for at least a month or so.
June 18, 2023 06:56PM
"...The cough was not ablated..." I think you might need to rephrase that. Coughs, per se, are not ablated. They're a response to an irritant. Or to embarrassment. smileys with beer

You are right to try not to become worked up about the odd post-ablation blip of AF. Happened to me two weeks later, but it eventually responded to metoprolol and I have been fine for the past 12 weeks.

It might be illustrative if you were to wear a device* that provides you with a minute-by-minute record of your heart rhythm over night. It might be that your morning AF starts upon waking. Becoming alert might set you off. Or, perhaps you are in and out of AF several times each night and this particular morning you awoke when it was happening.

* (An example would be a Kardia, available on line).

I think I recall that Amiodarone can lead to hypertension in the pulmonary veins, or maybe it was the arteries...I can't remember. But that's an anti-arrhythmic drug, not a rate-control drug that metoprolol is.
June 21, 2023 12:08PM
My EP told me that my cough, shortness of breath was related to the inflammation around my heart post ablation, and some patients respond differently to the procedure, he put me back on Colchincine for two more weeks twice daily and my cough is much better. I'm still taking the Metopropol twice daily and now I'm back on the Flecainide which I hoped was only going to be for a pill in the pocket approach. My BP today was 112/ 73. I have to check in tomorrow with my EP and discuss the Flecainide as I did have a dizzy spell this morning.
June 21, 2023 12:21PM
Thank you for your response,
I believe I said the cough has not ABATED not ablated, My EP has put me on Colchicine again for two weeks and the cough has definitely improved, now I can walk and talk without shortness of breath, I converted back to sinus but he wants me to stay on the Flecainide until I see him next, however I will check in with him tomorrow as it makes me dizzy. I am still taking the Metopropol twice daily with the Eliquis.

I did get a Kardia on the advice of my EP, which I use
June 21, 2023 02:14PM
Ah, my bad. I misread your statement. Sorry.
June 21, 2023 06:05PM
No worries, Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login