Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pulse Field Ablation with Dr Reddy

Posted by LoisA 
Pulse Field Ablation with Dr Reddy
June 08, 2023 11:41PM
My cousin had a PFA with Dr Reddy on Tuesday as well as Johnny who just posted. They were treated on same day in New York! Interesting. She went in early and had about a 4 hour procedure because he ablated one side with Pulse Field for Afib and the other side for flutter with Radio Frequency using 2 veins in the groin area. Excuse my layman terms but I don’t know the vernacular the way some here do.She was admitted from the recovery area because one of her incisions was compromised, but she was discharged the following afternoon. She had nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr Reddy and his staff and she is a highly trained cardiac nurse so she has spent her life in hospitals, surgery, and critical care heart patients.
Her heart has been in NSR so far which is the good news but she is very tired and has been sleeping. She will still be on Flecanide 300mg (?) a day for the next month.
I think the length of the surgery and anesthesia knocked her out, but she needed it badly.
If there is any other news I will update this forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2023 11:41PM by LoisA.
Re: Pulse Field Ablation with Dr Reddy
June 09, 2023 10:54AM
That is very interesting. I hope that your cousin does well. Please keep us posted. I will also give some updates. We are very fortunate to get in this clinical trial. I think that this is near the end of the clinical trials and there will be a gap now between the time until it is fully approved in the US. I expect that the Farapulse catheter (which is approved in the EU) will be first to go live.

John
June 09, 2023 01:33PM
Lois, thanks for the update, glad to hear your cousin is doing well. I am impressed Dr Reddy did both PFA and RF for her. I was under the impression this trial is PVI only.

"She was admitted from the recovery area because one of her incisions was compromised" - can you explain what does compromised mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2023 01:35PM by Yuxi.
June 09, 2023 05:43PM
This is very reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to update us. I must say, though, and this is from someone who has never used Flecainide for any reason, that the dosage seems high to me. Maybe someone who has this experience post-ablation can shed some light on it.
June 09, 2023 07:49PM
gloaming
I must say, though, and this is from someone who has never used Flecainide for any reason, that the dosage seems high to me.

300 mg per day is the maximum dose* but it's actually not unusual for people to be on that dose. I have.

* If you weigh less than 154 lbs/70 kg, the maximum is 200 mg.
June 09, 2023 08:20PM
Carey
If you weigh less than 154 lbs/70 kg, the maximum is 200 mg.

This is very important. I was prescribed 300 mg per day while weighing only 125 lbs and had a life-threatening reaction.
June 09, 2023 09:07PM
Daisy
If you weigh less than 154 lbs/70 kg, the maximum is 200 mg.

This is very important. I was prescribed 300 mg per day while weighing only 125 lbs and had a life-threatening reaction.

susan.d had that kind of issue as well with 300 mg at about 125 #'s. It very negatively changed the course of her afib journey.
June 10, 2023 12:08PM
Hence, my comment. But more than that, why an antiarrhythmic....at all? Not that my own example is particularly illustrative one way other other, but when it became patently obvious that my first ablation last July had failed, the prescription was for metoprolol....at least, latterly. At first, because my heart was so bonkers, it was Amiodarone for eight weeks until getting off it was safe and my heart had stopped kicking sand out of the sandbox. Then, two months later, back into PACs and some AF, and the nurse said to go back on 50mg of metoprolol. Months later, after a second ablation, I again had trouble two weeks out and went to the ER. They told me to go back on metoprolol, and so I did. I stopped at six weeks at the suggestion of the nurse to let my heart give a veridical assessment to the Holter due soon. Thankfully, my heart is apparently perfectly fine and I haven't had to take anything except the universal Eliquis and a statin.

Is it quite common for an antiarrhythmic to be prescribed for a while after an ablation as prophylaxis?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login