Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colonoscopy and AF

Posted by anneh 
Colonoscopy and AF
June 06, 2023 05:08PM
Will be having colonoscopy next Monday but was disappointed to have an AF episode on Sunday for a few hours (HR under 90) first one since January. I have to stop Eliquis 2 days prior and now concerned that I may have an episode so I called cardiologist office and nurse said as long as HR under 100 if I have one it will be ok. But supposing its highter, should I cancel procedure? Praying this won't be an issue.
Re: Colonoscopy and AF
June 06, 2023 05:51PM
What's your CHADS-Vasc score?
June 06, 2023 06:48PM
When you go through your prep make sure that you are taking in a lot of electrolytes as if your electrolytes get out of whack from all that purging you are at greater risk for an episode. Solutions like unflavored Pedialyte would help as well as coconut water, chicken broth etc. I was getting odd Kardia readings as I prepared for a colonoscopy but my EP said that they weren’t Afib and to go ahead. As soon as the IV fluids were established, my rhythm returned to normal. Good luck.
June 06, 2023 08:48PM
Anne, see Jackie's post on this topic here. I've successfully used the Golytely product she mentions in the post, which has extra electrolytes.
June 06, 2023 10:00PM
I think I am a 3 - 84y/female/AF but otherwise very healthy
June 06, 2023 11:41PM
anneh
I think I am a 3 - 84y/female/AF but otherwise very healthy

Okay, the 1 point for being female doesn't count, so you're a 2. I don't think you have anything to worry about stopping Eliquis for 2 days as long as you're not actively in afib at the time. If you are, I would postpone.
June 07, 2023 12:09PM
thnx Carey appreciate your insight. Sometimes in the past year I am not aware that I am in AF altho I feel strange and then check my pulse and realize I am in it. Dr said if HR stays under 100 thats ok, just wondering if that sounds right altho thankfully its usually 70-90 when in AF because I am on metoprolol.
June 07, 2023 02:06PM
Well, assuming your doctor is an EP, then I would go with their advice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login