Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PACs and food

Posted by bettylou4488 
PACs and food
May 31, 2023 07:55PM
If this should be in general move it on over Carey. After my ablation I dutifully did the Prilosec. I'm not much a fan of that but wanted to follow directions. (I don't always but I did have a frozen vocal cord with another heart thing and wanted to .. follow directions.). I tried to get off it several times but had GERD. I finally weaned myself off and a week or so after- tons of PACs. I wake up fine. Then once I eat they are pretty much all day on and off... more on than off. Harder for me to exercise. And highly annoying. I can go to the OMAD (one meal a day) diet LOL! But I do like to eat. I restarted the Prilosec a couple days ago. I seem to be very bloated no matter what I eat or drink. I have other heart things- but my weight hasn't increased. Just my.. bloat-i-ness. I do think it affects my heart function too.

Anywho-- anyone else have PAC or even PVC stuff that goes long with diet? I know there are a few here and will re-read some old files but would love to hear what others have experienced. I have to watch my fluids but might toy with increasing them a bit. I also take lasix and two other things that act as diuretics...

also any supplement ideas would be great smiling smiley

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2023 08:09PM by bettylou4488.
Re: PACs and food
May 31, 2023 09:02PM
There was a week between going off the Prilosec and all the PACs starting, so what makes you think they're connected?
May 31, 2023 10:14PM
Carey
There was a week between going off the Prilosec and all the PACs starting, so what makes you think they're connected?

well when they put you ON Priolsec they do a two week stint. So I figured, even though it gets out of your system, you still have some of the effects from it in your system (if indeed it is Gerd / reflux that is going on). That's my logic anyway...
May 31, 2023 11:48PM
Omeprazole (Prilosec) has a very short half-life, on the order of less than an hour, so it's completely out of your system within about 8 hours. I don't think connecting Prilosec and the PACs makes sense.
June 01, 2023 04:20AM
Carey
Omeprazole (Prilosec) has a very short half-life, on the order of less than an hour, so it's completely out of your system within about 8 hours. I don't think connecting Prilosec and the PACs makes sense.

My PACs started after I stopped Omeprazole. I had some flecainide and took that and they stopped for a while.

I have now been prescribed 200mgs slow release flecainide and that controls the PACs well.
June 01, 2023 07:29AM
Bettylou... Sorry about your problem. A number of years ago, I had some GERD issues that were resolved and led to my post on No More Heartburn... which is archived at this link [afibbers.org]

You can skim thru to see if anything there is similar to your experiences.

Best to you,
Jackie
June 01, 2023 08:32AM
Carey

I thought it was worth a try I guess... low risk... idk. I do think it is somewhat digestion related.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2023 08:32AM by bettylou4488.
June 01, 2023 08:36AM
colindo

My PACs started after I stopped Omeprazole. I had some flecainide and took that and they stopped for a while.

I have now been prescribed 200mgs slow release flecainide and that controls the PACs well.

Thanks for your feedback. I took flecainide till I ran out of ECG room LOL. (one of the intervals got too long). I have taken a bunch of other anti rhythmics and for various reasons did have to stop.
June 01, 2023 08:36AM
Jackie
Bettylou... Sorry about your problem. A number of years ago, I had some GERD issues that were resolved and led to my post on No More Heartburn... which is archived at this link [afibbers.org]

You can skim thru to see if anything there is similar to your experiences.

Best to you,
Jackie

thanks Jackie. I knew you would have something smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2023 08:36AM by bettylou4488.
June 01, 2023 04:32PM
Could celiac be at play here?
June 01, 2023 09:54PM
gloaming
Could celiac be at play here?

I don't think so. I am not gluten free but gluten reduced. I do know with even a bit of gluten it can affect you with celiac but I have always been gluten reduced, if you will. I have a couple events coming up over the next month but maybe after that I will go off 100% for awhile again. it is a very good thought even though I don't know if that is it. I prefer a vegan diet but it is interesting I was craving beef recently and in general I don't feel great eating carbs. I think there is a play here with food of some sort. About 15 years ago I was having anaphalytic reactions... the docs finally called it idiopathic anaphalyxis. They had no idea what it was. Then a good doc said, "you were on antibiotics for years as a kid I think you have leaky gut". I did some supplements (called ultra inflamax I think). Just ate a very limited diet for 2 or 4 weeks or something. Massive probiotics and I don't have those issues anymore. Maybe I should do something like that again. (somehow it seems harder when you are closer to 60 than 40! but I am motivated.)

Thanks again for the suggestion.
June 02, 2023 12:04PM
Bettylou, if it is the case, unbeknownst, that you ARE celiac, the considered limit of consumption of gluten is less than 20 ugm/diem. That is 'less than 20 micrograms...', about what would stick to a toothpick inserted 10 mm into a slice of bread.

I'm not an expert in the subject, and certainly not a physician (at least not of any repute spinning smiley sticking its tongue out), but my wife was diagnosed celiac at the age of 56. We have both had to accept that even tiny bits of cross-contamination, or actual willful ingesting, of gluten-laden foods will cost her for weeks.

Or, it might be an intolerance to something else you ingest routinely, whether dairy, nitrites, rancid plant-derived linoleic acids/other PUFAs, etc. Maybe even a binder or filler in a medication or supplement you take most days.
June 02, 2023 12:47PM
Bettylou.... also note that if there is a dairy sensitivity or lactose intolerance, you need to address that by taking the lactase enzyme whenever you eat anything that contains dairy. The sensitivity reaction is bloating and gas symptoms.

These are tablet or capsule form... easy to carry and use 'on demand' when needed.
Natural Factors has a reliable product and there are 'generic types of Lactaid' at local drug stores.
Certainly worth trying if you haven't ruled that out.

Jackie
June 03, 2023 12:14AM
Jackie
Bettylou.... also note that if there is a dairy sensitivity or lactose intolerance, you need to address that by taking the lactase enzyme whenever you eat anything that contains dairy. The sensitivity reaction is bloating and gas symptoms.

These are tablet or capsule form... easy to carry and use 'on demand' when needed.
Natural Factors has a reliable product and there are 'generic types of Lactaid' at local drug stores.
Certainly worth trying if you haven't ruled that out.

Jackie

Thanks! I do have an enzyme but wasn't thinking dairy specifically. I need to probably cut dairy completely and will after the family wedding in a couple weeks. meanwhile I will pick up some enzymes
June 03, 2023 12:16AM
gloaming
Bettylou, if it is the case, unbeknownst, that you ARE celiac, the considered limit of consumption of gluten is less than 20 ugm/diem. That is 'less than 20 micrograms...', about what would stick to a toothpick inserted 10 mm into a slice of bread.

I'm not an expert in the subject, and certainly not a physician (at least not of any repute spinning smiley sticking its tongue out), but my wife was diagnosed celiac at the age of 56. We have both had to accept that even tiny bits of cross-contamination, or actual willful ingesting, of gluten-laden foods will cost her for weeks.

Or, it might be an intolerance to something else you ingest routinely, whether dairy, nitrites, rancid plant-derived linoleic acids/other PUFAs, etc. Maybe even a binder or filler in a medication or supplement you take most days.

thanks yes I do know it is basically a 100% think for celiac. I truly don't think I have that .. I know a few people that are. My symptoms don't seem to line up with that. my blood test did show neg but have never done a biopsy for it. Today was a better day- I ate all day long but little bites. not my usual- we shall see. thanks again
June 09, 2023 01:52PM
Hi, I had 2 ablations with Dr. N in 2013 & 2015, NSR since then but... anytime I eat, it's PACs and tachycardia up to 140. Since my wife is lactose intolerant and gluten intolerant, we stopped buying and eating dairy and gluten at home. Guess what... no PACs and no tachycardia anymore. I did many tests (eating bread and yogurt, etc) and I get them again. Nothing scientific here, just my experience. Hope it helps.
June 09, 2023 05:58PM
That is good to know. I was getting lots of PACs after my first ablation, as well as a return of AF. I couldn't even laugh during reruns of 'Rules of Engagement', one of my favourites. My pulse would jump from 57 to 118 just like that...one guffaw. For some, it's food, for others it really lives up to its paroxysmal name just from bending over, especially with a full stomach, or from laughing. Even then, it doesn't happen reliably, just enough to keep you on your guard....and often miserable.
June 18, 2023 07:44PM
Gloaming, did you get an RF ablation or PFA? I recently got a PFA ablation and have had new onset of frequent PAC's starting on day 8 after the ablation.

john
June 19, 2023 11:36AM
Both of mine were RF ablations. I had PACs and/or recurrent AF in both instances, the first time at six days, the second at two weeks. Fortunately, the second instance was a one-off and I have been free of either problem ever since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login