Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dear Afibbers, one and all ...

Posted by Shannon 
Dear Afibbers, one and all ...
May 17, 2023 10:06AM
It is with both sadness, and a cherished celebration of a life so well lived, that I wish to share with you all the peaceful passing of Hans R. Larsen, MSc ChE., who was the founding mentor of Afibbers.org, a true inspiration and an all-around dear friend to so many of us. ... especially us old-timers!

I realize that many of our more recent Afibbers, might not be as familiar with Hans and his lovely wife, Judi Larsen, who have defined Afibbers.org from its inception in early 1999, and collectively we are still going strong 24 years later! A remarkable legacy indeed for both Hans and Judi ... and Judi has been very instrumental as Hans' co-partner, helping keeping the ball rolling through-out the first 15 years of our websites existence.

Prior to Hans confronting his early AFIB episodes, he was a respected Chemical Engineer often in charge of assessing and confirming peer-reviewed topics of the day for the group he worked for. It was from his intrepid scientific talents that Hans early on dug deeper into better understanding the nuances of his own AFIB.

Indeed, prior to his future vision of Afibbers.org, he attended periodic EP conferences in the 1990's from which his own scientific background was so instrumental, and from which our treasured group evolved.

For those of you newer folks to Afibbers.org, not only did Hans leave behind a slew of great books to help enlighten you further, but you can also glean just what an impact Hans truly has had on this forum ... and in our lives ... by taking a dive back into our archives to around mid-to-late January 2014 up too around early February 2014 I believe, and just look for the tread titled: "Passing The Torch" and just appreciate the overwhelming gratitude pouring out from so many Afibbers to feel what Hans and Judi meant to us all!

I for one, will never forget Han's kindness and ready willingness to help so many of us as a sounding board and collaborative partner in our attempts to better appreciate what we were up against in this challenging affliction to the betterment of us all.

I will miss you Dear Hans ... Love Shannon

P.S. Perhaps our forum's data sleuth par-excellence, GN, can assist those searching for the thread mentioned above.
Re: Dear Afibbers, one and all ...
May 17, 2023 11:06AM
I can only offer my most sincere and heart-felt sadness and sympathy for all who were close to this person, and I acknowledge the debt I owe to him for having demonstrated leadership and empathy all these years. So many have been given an advantage in life by his work and vision.

Requiescat in pace.
May 17, 2023 04:20PM
Thank you gloaming for your kind words for Hans and his family.

Best wishes, Shannon
May 17, 2023 04:40PM
Shannon
For those of you newer folks to Afibbers.org, not only did Hans leave behind a slew of great books to help enlighten you further, but you can also glean just what an impact Hans truly has had on this forum ... and in our lives ... by taking a dive back into our archives to around mid-to-late January 2014 up too around early February 2014 I believe, and just look for the thread titled: "Passing The Torch" and just appreciate the overwhelming gratitude pouring out from so many Afibbers to feel what Hans and Judi meant to us all!

Hans was truly a wonderful person and this site as well as his book "Lone Atrial Fibrillation Towards a Cure." were thankfully some of the first afib references I found after my initial episode in 2004. Without the site as well as the book, I doubt if I would have been able to create a remission program that has worked so well for me.

We only met once in person, in 2019, when my wife and I visited Victoria, BC, where he lived. We were traveling with friends and had a delightful afternoon chatting with Hans and Judi.

He will certainly be missed and I send my love to both Hans and Judi.

George
May 17, 2023 06:44PM
My heartfelt condolences to Judi Larsen and family.

Hans Larsen was a very special person and he will live on
in my heart along with the fond memories of all the caring
support and valuable information he and Judi provided via Afibbers.org.

While I never had the privilege of meeting Hans in person, he was always
available for for help and guidance; and for that, I am forever grateful.
My afib journey began in ’95 and, fortunately, a few years later, I found
Afibbers.org and as they say… the rest is history

So, Hans…Rest in Peace… and Thank You for all these years.

Love to both Hans and Judi.

Jackie
May 18, 2023 04:00PM
I am very sorry to hear of Hans' passing, he was a wonderful and helpful person. I have a couple of his books, he used to have a news letter which we could get online at his site, i looked forward to it and really appreciated Hans writings, we all learned a lot from him. Thank you Shannon for letting us know.

liz
May 18, 2023 06:07PM
Thank you again gloaming, George, Jackie, and Liz.

I know Hans would much appreciate the love. We will keep the sticky post active a few extra weeks in order that more of our long-time Afibbers from way back, might still be able to learn of our Dear friend Hans passing.

Shannon
May 21, 2023 12:41AM
I'm saddened to learn of Han's passing. A few years ago I bought his book Lone Atrial Fibrillation: Towards a Cure, and was fascinated by it. Every single page has highlighted and underlined areas. A wonderful resource. I'm grateful for his life and send my sincere condolences to Judi.
May 24, 2023 05:00PM
My sympathies to you, Shannon, Hans' family, and to all of you who were fortunate enough to "meet" him here on this website. I discovered afibbers.org just shortly after the transition from Hans to Shannon so I was never able to "meet" Hans, but I owe my successful journey keeping a-fib at by to him for starting this website. It was through this website I learned about Dr. Natale and all the options I had available to manage my a-fib effectively.

This site always has been, and will continue to be, the best resource on the internet on how to manage a-fib! I refer every person I know looking for help with their a-fib to this website. I hope Hans appreciated the impact his website had on his fellow afibbers!! I can't thank him enough for starting this resource (and for you and Carey and all the others for keeping his legacy going).

Here is the link to the "Passing the Torch" thread Shannon referred to in the original post:
[www.afibbers.org]

Travis
May 25, 2023 08:19AM
I think his presence and contributions live on through you and so many here that strive to educate others and themselves, and to share that knowledge in ways that have been so helpfu. I'm grateful to these gifts he shared and has passed down, for I am surely one that has benefitted from them.
May 26, 2023 08:29AM
My respect to Hans Larsen.

I was fortunate to find his website early in my arrythmia diagnosis many years ago.(Natale ablation in 2011). Tremendous contribution, information and guidance here......from Hans, then Shannon and many others.

Steve Worford
Spring, Tx.
May 28, 2023 07:12PM
I’m saddened to hear of the passing of Hans Larsen. When I was first diagnosed in 2009, finding this board and all the wonderful people on it was a godsend. I bought Hans’ book and learned an amazing amount from this board which he was still moderating at the time. My condolences to his family. Leaving behind this board, all the work he did, and all the people he helped is no small legacy.

Monty
June 01, 2023 09:57PM
My sympathies.
June 09, 2023 08:41PM
I've just returned from a trip abroad to this very sad news. My sincere and deeply felt condolences to Judi Larsen and the Larsen family.

Hans's work was a light in the darkness in my early afib journey in the mid-2000s. His legacy, as carried onward in this forum, continue to be a source of support and guidance.

Thanks, Hans. Rest in peace and light!

Lance
June 10, 2023 09:54AM
I never have the privilege to meet Hans, but did buy his book after finding this extremely helpful site after my own Afib journey began, 20 years ago. The book was very informative and this site has been a lifeline during all the years I struggled with Afib. I am forever grateful for having a place to go where those on this forum "get it" and can offer support, advice and hope. I also would never have known about Dr. Natale were it not for this site, and thanks to that, I was finally able to move from the daily episodes of Afib to NO Afib for over 9 years!

I am deeply grateful for Hans for giving those of us with AFib this wonderful site and all of the supportive and helpful people who are on here too, especially you, Shannon. Quite a few others too...Jackie, George and more.

My condolences to Judi and the rest of his family. Hans left quite a legacy.

In gratitide ~ Barb
June 28, 2023 06:30PM
Oh dear! What a massive loss...for all of us sad smiley I am very, very sorry to learn of his death.

I read all of Hans's "White Papers" over & over again--& have his book too. What an extraordinary contribution he made!

Om mani padme hum, Hans Larsen--& thank you so very, very much for making such a huge & generous difference in our lives.

~ Shoshin Seishu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login