Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone had a bad reaction to the metals in a Watchman?

Posted by Nancy M 
Has anyone had a bad reaction to the metals in a Watchman?
May 04, 2023 06:46PM
Yesterday I saw my new EP for the first time to discuss implanting a Watchman as well as a possible ablation for my atrial fibrillation. I told him about my sensitivities to metals in connection with the Watchman as the Watchman contains both nickel and titanium. He said everyone is sensitive to nickel to some degree; just like touching poison ivy, we will all react. The only testing he does is if someone has a medically proven history of anaphylaxis to a metal. I then asked him about my ears "leaking" when I used nickel jewelry, and he said that was common and not a concern for the Watchman. I then told him about my titanium post in my front tooth and my resulting post nasal drip, and he said that is not considered significant enough to require a test. I then asked him if he would sign the Orthopedic Analysis document so I could get a metal-lymphocyte transformation test (LTT) done by them in Chicago, and he said "No", they don't get involved in that. He said that the Watchman site closes up in about 6 months as tissue grows over it, which isolates it from the rest of the body, and it has no contact with any blood circulation. He says they never remove it, so it sounds like once it's in, it's in.

This EP has done over 500 Watchman implants and never seen a metals reaction, but is it possible that patients have no idea that their arthritis or muscle pain or neuropathy after such an implant is actually being caused by these metals?

The LTT at Orthopedic Analysis requires a physician's signature and prescription, so I'm not sure where to go from here on that. Don't know if my PCNP would sign it or if Ortho would accept her signature as she is not involved in the Watchman implant. Will have to email them about that. Also, Ortho stated on their website that the big labs like Questa won't do a blood draw. I asked the lab connected with our local hospital system if they would do it, and the tech said to bring in the kit, but that I would have to arrange the Fed Ex courier to pick it up from my home as they don't do that at the lab. So things are complicated. Plus the cost of the Metal Panel 2 test would be $608 out of pocket with most likely no reimbursement from my insurance.

I asked the EP about other options, and he said the Lariat is out-of-date and the AtriClip is too complicated or involved a surgery to be done for most patients. Plus, the AtriClip contains metals too. So back to Eliquis full dose for life????

Thanks for any input, especially if you've had a Watchman implanted and had a metals reaction. I am highly chemically sensitive, so this is a real issue for me and one I don't want to make a mistake with since it seems surgeons don't want to ever remove them.
Re: Has anyone had a bad reaction to the metals in a Watchman?
May 05, 2023 11:10AM
t. I then asked him if he would sign the Orthopedic Analysis document so I could get a metal-lymphocyte transformation test (LTT) done by them in Chicago, and he said "No",

I could not keep a doctor, no matter how spectacular he/she is, if they won’t humor a patient and act accordingly in trying to treat a patient that they count, their life matters and support their patients because at the end of the day, it’s their life and they should have a voice.
May 05, 2023 11:22AM
Nancy - just a few examples from a search on the nickel allergy/Watchman issue.
Jackie

[a-fib.com]

[www.bostonscientific.com]

[www.accessdata.fda.gov]

[www.medpagetoday.com]

[www.watchman.com]

[www.medstarhealth.org]
May 05, 2023 08:14PM
Nancy M
The LTT at Orthopedic Analysis requires a physician's signature and prescription, so I'm not sure where to go from here on that. Don't know if my PCNP would sign it or if Ortho would accept her signature as she is not involved in the Watchman implant. Will have to email them about that. Also, Ortho stated on their website that the big labs like Questa won't do a blood draw. I asked the lab connected with our local hospital system if they would do it, and the tech said to bring in the kit, but that I would have to arrange the Fed Ex courier to pick it up from my home as they don't do that at the lab.

If you search on
online prescriptions doctor
you will likely find someone who'd sign the request.

a search on
private phlebotomist
and your location should come up with options for those who will draw your blood. I consult with an out of state doc who uses a lot of tests that aren't Quest or Labcorp, so have used private phlebotomists for years. Perhaps ask Orthopedic Analysis if they have recommendations for both docs and/or phlebotomists in your area.

I think Any Lab Test Now is a franchise that will order tests and do blood draw. You could see if there is one in your area and ask if they will draw the blood for you.

I realize all this is likely not reimbursable. So that will factor into your decision.
May 05, 2023 08:20PM
Thanks all for your helpful replies. I will check with Orthopedic Analysis to find a doctor/lab that will help with this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login