Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Pulse Field Ablation still have a blanking period?

Posted by Johnnyk80 
Does Pulse Field Ablation still have a blanking period?
May 04, 2023 11:24AM
I was wondering what the consensus is for the new pulse field ablation as it relates to the blanking period. Is the "blanking period" as we know it with RF reduced? Is there any blanking period at all due to the lesser impact on the heart?

John
Re: Does Pulse Field Ablation still have a blanking period?
May 04, 2023 11:43AM
I may be wrong, but as I understand it, this technology is safer, but there is still some healing of the places having been ablated to wait for. Maybe a shorter blanking period ?
May 04, 2023 12:07PM
You would have to have a blanking period on all Ablations, otherwise the success rates quoted by proponents would not possible. Good question, maybe not a definitive answer, as it is a new method, but it would make sense that it would on average be less.
May 04, 2023 01:06PM
The very nature of any process that can be legally and scientifically termed 'ablation' means that there are lesions left behind. They take time to heal. The heart has been invaded, as has the body below it. There HAS to be a period of recovery AND VERIFICATION following any medical intervention of this magnitude. It might eventually be (or is currently) a shorter period for PFA, and of that I have no knowledge.
May 14, 2023 06:47PM
Yes folks, there is still some degree of a blanking period with PFA ... we can anticipate a better, more nuanced, assessment of PFA blanking period by this coming fall to more precisely determine the duration of PFA blanking ... The bet's are that it will likely show a shorter than RF blanking period. Again we should have a better fix on this issue after completion of the paroxysmal PFA trials in the next five to six months.

Cheers!
Shannon
May 15, 2023 05:49AM
If you are asking is there any discomfort during the “blanking period” following a PFA; I had none from my Natale PFA a year ago. Non thermal with little to no inflammation from the procedure.
May 15, 2023 07:56PM
Steve, how have you been doing since the ablation? Have you been Afib free?
May 15, 2023 09:02PM
I feel great! AFIB free, no complications. Iam very great full I found this group that lead me to seek expert level care at TCAI and Dr Natale; PFA was a big plus.
May 16, 2023 02:37PM
SailorGuy1
I feel great! AFIB free, no complications. Iam very great full I found this group that lead me to seek expert level care at TCAI and Dr Natale; PFA was a big plus.

May I ask which device did they use for your procedure? FARAPULSE Pulsed Field Ablation System or Globe Pulsed Field System? I wonder what's the difference between these two systems, is one better than the other?
May 16, 2023 03:48PM
Varipulse catheter PFA system from Biosense Webster (Johnson & Johnson) integrated with their Carto3 mapping and Trupulse generator. Differences between the various systems are proprietary and center mainly around catheter design, mapping integration and wave form. Varipulse was offered via the Inspire (Europe) and AdMire (US) pre market clinical studies.
May 16, 2023 04:46PM
Thanks, did not know there are so many different systems out there.
May 17, 2023 08:04AM
At one point I counted over 30 different clinical studies underway worldwide focused on PFA systems and/or catheter designs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login