Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CBN effects noted

Posted by JohnG 
CBN effects noted
April 18, 2023 05:28PM
Although I've read from this forum from time to time for over 10 years, this is my first post. I had my first Afib episode in 2014 (I'm 57 now) and my first ablation in 2017. I typically go into Afib for 6-28 hours about 5-10x per year probably...less just after my first Afib.

I had a particularly unfun bout of Afib last November where it was a steady 115. If I lay down, it would drop to maybe 110. If I stood up and moved around it might go to 120. At the hospital, I was NPO and was dying of thirst. After I told my wife that I thought I was going to die if I didn't get some water, she brought me two large cups which I promptly drank. Literally, as I sat the second cup down, I converted to my normal bradycardic mid 40's.

I had been a regular drinker up till that time and I've since pretty much quit altogether.

As I was awaiting my second ablation (which I had a few weeks ago), to ease my transition into not drinking I heard that CBN calms you down so I bought some 15mg CBN-only gummies made for sleep (CBN normally makes up about 1% of the plant and is legal). On a day in which I felt my heart get aggravated (but not Afib), I decided to try a sliver of one of the CBN gummies. It calmed me down and did make me a bit tired. But I also noticed that my heart was no longer aggravated. I have consistently tested this since and it seems to work better than any medicine I've tried (Nebivolol, Fleccainide, Potassium, etc.).

Today I found this article from 2001 that seems to give a reason as to why...maybe???

"The results indicate that cannabinoids, by activating CB(1) cannabinoid receptors, inhibit sympathetic and vagal neuroeffector transmission in the heart. The mechanism of the sympathoinhibition is probably presynaptic inhibition of noradrenaline release from postganglionic sympathetic neurons. The mechanism of the inhibition of vagal activity was not clarified: cannabinoids may have an inhibitory action on both pre- and postganglionic vagal neurons." [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]. And another [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Anyone else seen this phenomenon? Thanks,

jcgeesling

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2023 06:46PM by jcgeesling.
Re: CBN effects noted
April 18, 2023 07:37PM
Interesting. Curious as to the amount you took to make you tired. When you say a sliver did you just take a real thin slice of the CBN?
April 19, 2023 07:54AM
Hello Jake. I find that it varies on how much of it makes me tired both during the day and at night. When I take 3 or more mg, it tends to make me tired. Generally though, about a ~1-2mg slice does not make me tired and I feel a slight effect on my sympathetic nervous system...at least that's what I think the effect is on as I don't feel like my body is producing as much catecholamines/adrenaline constantly triggering my heart. As I am a type A+++ personality smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2023 11:07AM by jcgeesling.
April 19, 2023 07:32PM
That's fabulous. I have struggled with insomnia for .. ever.. like 20 years. But the last two nights were horrible and I was thinking, "I have pot downstairs". It is legal here and another family member was using it for awhile. But I have read how it can trigger more afib. I am familiar with all the cannabinoids. I am totally going to look into this. If you can PM me the brand and such that would be great. So glad you posted this. I never thought to specifically look at anything other than CBD or THC although I do have CBG here. .I have been having days of PACs which are highly annoying...maybe it would help. I'm going to research some more as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2023 07:34PM by bettylou4488.
April 19, 2023 09:44PM
ps there is a lot out there about bradycardia and even CBD... just noting that as a PS to my note above should people be looking into it. At times in the past I have had weird EKGs and long intervals of things.. (PR, QT).. so I am pretty cautious. But I also need some sleep!
April 20, 2023 09:25AM
Hello Bettylou4488,

I've messaged you the company. I hadn't heard about the Bradycardia association with Cannaniboids. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I searched Pubmed and found multiple instances of Bradycardia in animal studies and 3 anecdotal human case studies; one being a man who consumed 350+mg of CBD. The other two were long-standing marijuana users.

* This article shows the administration of Anandamide (a cannabinoid ligand...downstream effect of cannabinoids) produces three phases. 1. Short phase decrease in heart rate. 2. Increase in blood pressure. 3. Prolonged decrease in blood pressure and sometimes bradycardia, related to the activation of cannabinoid CB1. [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

* This article shows nitric oxide release and interestingly the activation of "both peripheral inhibition and central excitation of the sympathetic nervous system." [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

* Interestingly, these articles demonstrated isolated THC causing bradycardia in animals. [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

That said, I have not seen my heart rate drop using it and I wear an Oura ring at night. I do see a little heart rate drop when I take 1/4 or 1/2 of my beta blocker Nebovolol however (which is one of its effects).

I have probably one of the more extreme cases of bradycardia. I've seen as low as 27 bpm overnight in the hospital and I occasionally drop below Oura's 33 bpm minimum detection range since I started using it last December. I'll commonly wake up on a weekend morning and after drinking my morning caffeine (~300mg) I'll read 98-100 oxygen saturation along with a 33-35 heart rate while watching the morning news. At 57, I still see the occasional 150's heart rate during intense exercise.

Oddly, this drop below Oura's detection range of 33 was actually seen more often prior to taking CBN. Since starting to take CBN around the first of March, I've only seen it drop below 33 seven times (and none since March 29): And I hadn't started taking it consistently until about the 1st of April. Prior to taking CBN, it dropped below the range 19 times in 2.5 months' time.

This is definitely uncharted territory for sure...especially when considering concentrated CBN, which is normally about 1% of the plant.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2023 09:38AM by jcgeesling.
May 01, 2023 10:27PM
John g

Can u send me a link for.the CNN only gummies.very interested

Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login