Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nattokinase - Is it risky or wasteful?

Posted by PavanPharter 
Nattokinase - Is it risky or wasteful?
April 09, 2023 06:26PM
I'm an Eliquis guy but recent research shows that NK has some benefits for another issue I am working on. I am in NSR and the study recommends a relatively high dose of about 11,000 FU's daily. OK simple enough...

I don't need to take Eliquis at this time and with 11K of NK daily I really don't want to take both. But here's the problem.

NK has very poor bioavailability when released into the stomach. Alright, ConsumerLabs rates Nattovena highly but these are definitely not enteric capsules.

A friend of mine looked at dozens of papers and came up with this conclusion:

"nattokinase enteric bioavailability ~1.4%"

And the study doesn't specify whether enteric capsules were used. If my friend is right, inserting one Nattovena NK into an empty enteric capsule would provide a dose 71X just taking the capsule alone.

Anyone ever look at the bioavailability of NK with and w/o enteric coatings?
Re: Nattokinase - Is it risky or wasteful?
April 09, 2023 08:06PM
Pavan
Have a look at the Japan Nattokinase Association website as they have excellent information and warnings about counterfeit Nattokinase.

[j-nattokinase.org]

Dean
April 10, 2023 01:56PM
PavanPharter

NK has very poor bioavailability when released into the stomach. Alright, ConsumerLabs rates Nattovena highly but these are definitely not enteric capsules.

A friend of mine looked at dozens of papers and came up with this conclusion:

"nattokinase enteric bioavailability ~1.4%"

Before my ablation I took Nattovena daily, one in the morning and one at night, I also ate 45mgs of Natto every 2nd day. That thinned my blood.
I read somewhere that the Japanese airline offer Nattokinase to their long haul passengers every 6 hours.
April 11, 2023 02:05PM
I am going to contact the authors of the paper and find out what whether they used enteric capsules. It isn't specified in the paper. At least one seller on Amazon has enteric coated and 20k FU. So my friend's math may be off or relying on older papers.
April 11, 2023 02:54PM
Pavan - There is a previous post titled Clot Risk that I posted in 2017. Note that the nattokinase to which I refer in that report is the encapsulated form and not the natto (food) type source. I have a soy sensitivity so I found
help with the physician who introduced nattokinase product here in the US and helped me use it while awaiting my first ablation in 2003.

As you'll read in the Intro segment, I had a clot form in my heart after my first ablation. The 'saga' is all there.

I have a soy sensitivity but the encapsulated NK does not cause a problem ...and worked 'as advertised' and I'm still alive and kicking today as testimonial.

Jackie

[www.afibbers.org]
April 11, 2023 08:44PM
The use of enteric coated capsules for nattokinase seems to be the question. While I have not found a comparison study which hopefully would provide the answer, I am attaching the white paper on the NSK-SD formulated nattokinase, which probably is the most comprehensive scientific study. Within section titled "Description" I find no reference to capsules being coated, just softgel. "NSK-SD in a softgel capsule (NSK-11) retains 75 to 80% of activity when exposed to a PH of 2.0, mimicking gastric fluid, for 30 minutes."

There are NSK-SD nattokinase capsules by varying manufacturers on the market, some with enteric coated capsules, others without.

[biomedicine.com]
April 12, 2023 07:51AM
These links show NK properties, uses, etc.

[healthquestpodcast.com]

[www.cardiokinase.com]

[www.cardiokinase.com]
April 13, 2023 10:57AM
Thanks all - I'll keep reading.
April 24, 2023 08:43PM
Hello PavanPharter,

These two studies show that Nattokinase (in any of the NSK-SD labeled certified formulations) did produce a wide-spectrum blood thinning effect independent of bioavailability. Both studies used a 2,000 Fibrinolytic Unit capsule (100mg) for their treatment group arm.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

JohnG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login