Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Convergent Treatment for Persistent Afib

Posted by LoisA 
Convergent Treatment for Persistent Afib
March 30, 2023 01:59AM
Good evening. I’ve posted here before about my family history of Afib. I’m wondering if any of you have any knowledge about a procedure my brother is having next week at Emory. He has a 20 year history of persistent Afib, having had 4 ablations and at least 50 cardioversions. This is the procedure: [youtu.be]
For my own experience, I was diagnosed with paroxysmal Afib 5 years ago and was pretty well controlled with Flecanide until last summer, when it outlived it’s usefulness .So 5 months ago I had my first ablation at Holy Cross hospital in Fort Lauderdale. I have not taken any anti arrhythmia drugs since 3 weeks after the procedure and other than occasional skipped beats and a few seconds here or there of slightly faster rate ( my resting is normal now is 65) I have felt really good. Of course I’m hopeful this lasts a long time. My cousin is scheduled for a PFA with Dr Reddy in NYC as soon as she gets the word he is ready for his next trials.
I’m not sure if paroxysmal can develop into persistent Afib, but I’m trying to be proactive if it can progress . Of course I’m always hoping new treatments are on the horizon for all of us.
Re: Convergent Treatment for Persistent Afib
March 30, 2023 02:18AM
LoisA
I’m not sure if paroxysmal can develop into persistent Afib, but I’m trying to be proactive if it can progress . Of course I’m always hoping new treatments are on the horizon for all of us.

Yes it can. Doesn't mean it will, but is certainly possible. A number of folks here can share their stories of paroxysmal going to persistent.
March 30, 2023 05:28AM
Atrial fibrillation is a progressive disorder. It wants to morph into something 'else', and that usually means a progression into something less salutary. The evolution can be months to years in two or more different individuals. What it becomes, if it does change, is either persistent or permanent AF. Both are serious and hard(er) to treat than the more tractable paroxysmal variety. Several members have been in the paroxysmal state for a very long time, but they are like you and have missed few-to-no opportunities to keep a lid on it.

I don't tolerate it particularly well. I can endure a while of it, but if it runs more than about six hours, I'm off to emerg to get help. I had begun to realize, with the help of some coaching here, and from the AF clinic outreach nurse, that I could probably beat AF on my own if I'm just a bit more patient and take another 25-50 mg of metoprolol. But, some don't mind it, or even know they have it. I worry about them. I know when I'm in AF, and it bothers me enough to squawk. Those who are more blissful about it run a higher risk of it morphing into something more serious.
March 30, 2023 01:05PM
You’re right that everyone experiences Afib differently and I’m learning that there are many factors in the progression or not. Everyone in my family who is affected is very aware when it kicks in and depending on the episode, i.e.heart rate, severity of irregular beats, can either ride it out or seeks medical attention. Although 2 of my brothers with persistent Afib need cardioversions to correct , it’s only a temporary fix. I will keep you posted on how the convergent treatment works.
April 01, 2023 12:46PM
LoisA
Good evening. I’ve posted here before about my family history of Afib. I’m wondering if any of you have any knowledge about a procedure my brother is having next week at Emory. He has a 20 year history of persistent Afib, having had 4 ablations and at least 50 cardioversions. This is the procedure: [youtu.be]
For my own experience, I was diagnosed with paroxysmal Afib 5 years ago and was pretty well controlled with Flecanide until last summer, when it outlived it’s usefulness .So 5 months ago I had my first ablation at Holy Cross hospital in Fort Lauderdale. I have not taken any anti arrhythmia drugs since 3 weeks after the procedure and other than occasional skipped beats and a few seconds here or there of slightly faster rate ( my resting is normal now is 65) I have felt really good. Of course I’m hopeful this lasts a long time. My cousin is scheduled for a PFA with Dr Reddy in NYC as soon as she gets the word he is ready for his next trials.

I was highly recommended to use Dr Reddy in 2019 when he was doing his first trial. Your cousin should be in good hands.
April 01, 2023 04:08PM
LoisA
I’m not sure if paroxysmal can develop into persistent Afib, but I’m trying to be proactive if it can progress .

Without question it can. I don't know what impact a successful ablation for paroxysmal afib has on the progression, but my suspicion is that it at least delays progression. I don't know if it prevents it. To my knowledge no one's ever done a study on that question.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login