Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reading about a lot of LAA ablation patients getting flutter after ablation

Posted by Johnnyk80 
Reading about a lot of LAA ablation patients getting flutter after ablation
March 02, 2023 08:41AM
Maybe its because my ablation is coming up, but I seem to be reading alot of examples where people had LAA ablated and have run into problems? And this is even with Dr. Natale ablations. Is an LAA ablation a more dangerous procedure than PVI ablation. Why the flutter result?

I'm 63, generally healthy and everything points to a statistically successful ablation outcome for me. However, how do I know if I need my LAA ablated? Is there a way to know that from my symptoms?

I wouldn't want to trade my monthly Afib breakthrough occurrence (on Flecanaide 100 mg a day) for a more ominous atrial flutter outcome.

Insights?

John
Re: Reading about a lot of LAA ablation patients getting flutter after ablation
March 02, 2023 10:32AM
John my 2 cents: i developed atypical flutter 9 yrs after an afib pvi. The flutter was ablated here in Charlotte. Lasted 6 weeks. More flutter. It actually got worse. Off to Austin i went. 8-6-21 Natale did 2-3 areas that were never touched including LAA. I asked why? Dumb question btw. Dr Natale said because that was the flutter source. 4 months later i had omicron covid. Rough. Zero flutter. 2-16-22 back to Austin. Natale put in the Watchman. Im now off eliquis and have had zero flutter episodes. Ive had 2-4 short bumps - something of low rate 97-105 for 2-20 mins but ive never taken another anti Arrythmia med nor been to er nor hospitol. Best decesion i ever made. Thanks to Shannon Carey Jackie & this site. I drink a little beer drink coffee eat drk chocolate and lift weights & scream at college bb games. Miami is good btw
March 02, 2023 10:52AM
I'm not sure what results you're referring to but there's nothing about isolating the LAA that makes flutter more likely, nor is it a more dangerous procedure. It's pretty simple, really. If the LAA is a source of afib, you can either ablate it or have a failed ablation. All the PVIs in the world won't stop afib that is coming from somewhere other than the pulmonary veins.

There's no way to know in advance where your afib is coming from. The only way to know is for an EP to get mapping catheters inside your atria and discover the actual source(s). And, in fact, the average EP doesn't know how to find afib originating in the LAA nor how to ablate it, so unless your EP is one of a small handful of top EPs, there's no chance they will touch your LAA.

Also, there's nothing more ominous about atrial flutter. It's a possible complication of any ablation whether it involves the LAA or not. If it happens, the good news is it's generally easier to deal with than afib.
March 02, 2023 11:34AM
Poppino
John my 2 cents: i developed atypical flutter 9 yrs after an afib pvi. The flutter was ablated here in Charlotte. Lasted 6 weeks. More flutter. It actually got worse. Off to Austin i went. 8-6-21 Natale did 2-3 areas that were never touched including LAA. I asked why? Dumb question btw. Dr Natale said because that was the flutter source. 4 months later i had omicron covid. Rough. Zero flutter. 2-16-22 back to Austin. Natale put in the Watchman. Im now off eliquis and have had zero flutter episodes. Ive had 2-4 short bumps - something of low rate 97-105 for 2-20 mins but ive never taken another anti Arrythmia med nor been to er nor hospitol. Best decesion i ever made. Thanks to Shannon Carey Jackie & this site. I drink a little beer drink coffee eat drk chocolate and lift weights & scream at college bb games. Miami is good btw

Thanks Poppino. This is encouraging. I head to Natale later this month.

You sound like my kind of guy, btw. My biggest goal of my ablation is to drink more coffee and finally get back to my three IPA's each Saturday. Go Penn State!
March 02, 2023 11:37AM
Carey
I'm not sure what results you're referring to but there's nothing about isolating the LAA that makes flutter more likely, nor is it a more dangerous procedure. It's pretty simple, really. If the LAA is a source of afib, you can either ablate it or have a failed ablation. All the PVIs in the world won't stop afib that is coming from somewhere other than the pulmonary veins.

There's no way to know in advance where your afib is coming from. The only way to know is for an EP to get mapping catheters inside your atria and discover the actual source(s). And, in fact, the average EP doesn't know how to find afib originating in the LAA nor how to ablate it, so unless your EP is one of a small handful of top EPs, there's no chance they will touch your LAA.

Also, there's nothing more ominous about atrial flutter. It's a possible complication of any ablation whether it involves the LAA or not. If it happens, the good news is it's generally easier to deal with than afib.

Thanks Carey. I'm think I'm just starting my 30 days of fear regarding this upcoming ablation. I am curious however what causes the incidences of flutter post ablation? Are there any signs that an EP Can look for to discern if the patient may run into flutter? If so, would they tell the patient?

John
March 02, 2023 11:48AM
[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The heart wants to keep beating, and it seems to have an anthropomorphic bent to create circuits where none are needed...but it thinks it does need them. So, after an ablation, as I understand it, either other pathways are left bared and they begin to take over the spurious signaling, or the heart's circuitry begins to look for another route after a 'successful ablation' and eventually the heart is in fib/flutter once again.

Any EP worth her salt will challenge the heart before they wheel you out of the surgery. They use either adenosine, or isoproterenol, or both, and make the heart slow and speed up, hoping to reveal some lingering pathways where the unwanted signals will get through the 'dams' of new lesions caused during the ablation process. So, that's the answer to your 'are there any signs...' question. Yes, and a good EP will take the time to look, and then deal with them while you're still under anesthesia.
March 02, 2023 12:07PM
John another few cents: i limit drinking to 1 ipa as alcohol has a trigger history for me. Coffee no but its the only caffeine i get. 1 stout dark strong cup. I buy craft coffee too lol. So id watch the alcohol. Ive found my limits. Like many here im Type A driven perfectionist (sports gardening coffee honey ft pens) . Lift weights at 69 walk alot etc. i rarely sit. Going to Natale is the correct decision! My guy here carpet bombed but it didnt work. No LAA isolation. Now i have a watchman too. When he put it in he tests his previous ablation as a type of touchup. Best to you you’ll be in vg hands
March 02, 2023 03:08PM
Johnnyk80
Thanks Carey. I'm think I'm just starting my 30 days of fear regarding this upcoming ablation. I am curious however what causes the incidences of flutter post ablation? Are there any signs that an EP Can look for to discern if the patient may run into flutter? If so, would they tell the patient?

Flutter is usually caused by a barrier to electrical conduction in the atria that has a single hole in it somewhere. The barrier I'm talking about in this case is an ablation scar, and by hole I mean a point where the scar isn't continuous, there's a hole in it somewhere that allows an electrical signal to pass through. When that exists, what can happen is a single cell on one side of the scar fires and that signal propagates through the hole, continues around the atria in a circle, and comes back to stimulate that one cell again. So flutter is just a self-sustaining signal going around and around in a circle in your atria. That's why you'll sometimes hear flutter described as clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Can an EP detect that hole in the lab? Yes, and if they do they don't just do nothing and conceal it from you; they fix it. When a good EP thinks the ablation is complete, they will do a challenge with Isuprel (isoproterenol) or adenosine (Natale uses Isuprel), which are strong cardiac stimulants. They will also deliver a pulsing electrical stimulus to the atria. The goal is to provoke any hidden sources of afib or flutter into revealing themselves. The problem is that sometimes the hole isn't there at the end of the procedure, but over the coming days and weeks healing of the scar occurs and a hole can appear where perhaps one burn wasn't quite deep enough or two burns were just a little too far apart. That's why a repeat procedure is often called a touch-up. It's almost never an actual redo of the ablation. It's going in and making perhaps just or or two burns to close the hole.

I understand the pre-procedure anxiety, but relax. You're in the most capable ablation hands in the world.
March 02, 2023 03:31PM

Any EP worth her salt will challenge the heart before they wheel you out of the surgery. They use either adenosine, or isoproterenol, or both, and make the heart slow and speed up, hoping to reveal some lingering pathways where the unwanted signals will get through the 'dams' of new lesions caused during the ablation process. So, that's the answer to your 'are there any signs...' question. Yes, and a good EP will take the time to look, and then deal with them while you're still under anesthesia.

Even that may not be enough...
I've told about my fourth ablation here, some years ago.
Isoproterenol and adenosine (scaring !) were used. Fourty minutes waiting, after the burns had been made, and the EP trying to stress my heart... Everything was fine.
But next day, paroxysmal AFib was back. Since then, it comes for an hour and goes away spontaneously about 5x/month. Weird thing !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2023 03:33PM by Pompon.
March 02, 2023 06:33PM
Carey

Flutter is usually caused by a barrier to electrical conduction in the atria that has a single hole in it somewhere. The barrier I'm talking about in this case is an ablation scar, and by hole I mean a point where the scar isn't continuous, there's a hole in it somewhere that allows an electrical signal to pass through. When that exists, what can happen is a single cell on one side of the scar fires and that signal propagates through the hole, continues around the atria in a circle, and comes back to stimulate that one cell again. So flutter is just a self-sustaining signal going around and around in a circle in your atria. That's why you'll sometimes hear flutter described as clockwise or counter-clockwise.

Can an EP detect that hole in the lab? Yes, and if they do they don't just do nothing and conceal it from you; they fix it. When a good EP thinks the ablation is complete, they will do a challenge with Isuprel (isoproterenol) or adenosine (Natale uses Isuprel), which are strong cardiac stimulants. They will also deliver a pulsing electrical stimulus to the atria. The goal is to provoke any hidden sources of afib or flutter into revealing themselves. The problem is that sometimes the hole isn't there at the end of the procedure, but over the coming days and weeks healing of the scar occurs and a hole can appear where perhaps one burn wasn't quite deep enough or two burns were just a little too far apart. That's why a repeat procedure is often called a touch-up. It's almost never an actual redo of the ablation. It's going in and making perhaps just or or two burns to close the hole.

I understand the pre-procedure anxiety, but relax. You're in the most capable ablation hands in the world.

Thanks Carey! One thing I didn't mention is that I am getting the pulse field ablation trial. Any insight into the electroporation of pulse field with the ability to scar the atria thoroughly? I wonder what results they are seeing over the past year or two of clinical trials.
March 02, 2023 07:09PM
I haven't seen any results from that trial, but my understanding is PFA makes better ablation lines than RF because the EP doesn't have to be concerned with over-burning or heating adjacent structures like the esophagus. That's why a lot of less experienced EPs have high failure rates. They're afraid of doing harm, so they don't burn long enough. That's exactly why why my first 3 ablations failed.
March 02, 2023 08:03PM
Pompon

Even that may not be enough...
I've told about my fourth ablation here, some years ago.
Isoproterenol and adenosine (scaring !) were used. Fourty minutes waiting, after the burns had been made, and the EP trying to stress my heart... Everything was fine.
But next day, paroxysmal AFib was back. Since then, it comes for an hour and goes away spontaneously about 5x/month. Weird thing !

...and, if you've been reading about my own experience a bit, I had the same type of failure. Dr. Novak made a point of mentioning that he challenged my heart the first time, but unfortunately it didn't hold and I was in and out of AF for the next six months until just two weeks ago when he redid me. But, I would go so far as to assume that the claimed statistical efficacy of first-time ablations, which is about 75%, is that high only because of the process of challenges where they find something else that needs the ol' nip 'n tuck. No challenge, you'd have to get a lot more failures than a mere 25%.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login