Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib and ectopic beats

Posted by andreas22 
Afib and ectopic beats
January 14, 2023 01:31AM
Hello everyone, I am new here and received my diagnosis of paroxysmal vagal Afib last
Month. Taking Flecainide now and have an ablation scheduled for March. Since being on Flec I havent had an Afib episode and it also eliminated my ectopic bests for two weeks. However, now the ectopics are back and I am wondering: is having (thousands of) extopic beats common for people with Afib or is thst a separate problem? Also: could the ablation also help with the ectopics or would that have to be a different procedure?

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

Andreas
Re: Afib and ectopic beats
January 14, 2023 03:12AM
When the ectopics are generated in the atria (PACs), they can come just from time to time or very often, randomly or following some regular pattern.
Lots of ectopics coming randomly and successively are called runs of ectopics. The longer the runs, the more they resemble AFib. When regular beats don't come any more to separate the runs of ectopics, you're in AFib.
So, basically, PACs and AFib are brothers.
A few PACs a day are benign. Thousands a day may still be considered benign, but they're not if you've a hard time bearing them. Twenty thousands a day are considered too much.
I'd say if your ectopics are back, it's likely a sign that flec won't be efficient for a long time.
January 14, 2023 12:38PM
As Pompom says, PAC's are common and especially in afibbers. Without a monitor, hard to tell whether yours are PAC's or PVC's.
January 16, 2023 03:11AM
Thanks for the inputs - I am just wondering has anyone had ablation for Afib and did that help with the ectopics as well?
January 16, 2023 04:38AM
andreas22
Thanks for the inputs - I am just wondering has anyone had ablation for Afib and did that help with the ectopics as well?

Ectopics are strange beasts.
Before my very first AFib episode in 2015, I didn't even had ectopics. I know for sure, since I'm highly symptomatic. I'm feeling any single missed beat. Back then, I began having AFib episodes without any warning. Full blown AFib out of the blue. No ectopics.
Since meds didn't work (I tried some), I had my first ablation.
After that, I began having ectopics, sometimes turning to AFib, sometimes not.
Four ablation procedures later, I've still ectopics, sometimes turning to AFib. I'm a difficult case.
I don't regret having had ablations, for my symptoms while in AFib are far less heavy, my episodes are short and I don't take meds any more.
My opinion is that any case can be a difficult case. A patient may go for an ablation and become a "one and done", living years long in normal sinus heart rhythm. I think it's the case for most patients. And when not, a "touch-up" procedure is often enough to have the job done. But there are exceptions, the kind of people posting here repeatedly and talking about those things that don't work for them.
I wish your ablation work fine and I hope reading about it. Chances are great you'll be a "one and done", not worrying about your HR and forgetting about Afibbers forum.
January 16, 2023 08:05AM
andreas22
I am just wondering has anyone had ablation for Afib and did that help with the ectopics as well?

Not on the ablation question, but there is a link in my post here to a guy who dramatically reduced his PAC's with diet change.
Ken
January 16, 2023 09:59AM
After my first ablation which lasted 13 years, I occasionally had ectopic beats, but only for 2-5 second blips. I found this website and via recommendations I found here, started taking Magnesium, Potassium and Taurine daily, with additional Magnesium in the evening, but not at high levels. I have been doing this for about 13 years and have essentially eliminated the ectopic beats. I am now 3 years out from my successful second ablation and all is well.
hds
April 05, 2023 01:42PM
Ken
After my first ablation which lasted 13 years, I occasionally had ectopic beats, but only for 2-5 second blips. I found this website and via recommendations I found here, started taking Magnesium, Potassium and Taurine daily, with additional Magnesium in the evening, but not at high levels. I have been doing this for about 13 years and have essentially eliminated the ectopic beats. I am now 3 years out from my successful second ablation and all is well.

What dosage for each of these do you use? I'm new to afib and would be so to see some example regiments. Thx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login