Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cinnamon blood thinning?

Posted by bettylou4488 
cinnamon blood thinning?
January 06, 2023 09:26AM
I knew turmeric has blood thinning issues but I have been drinking this little beverage every monring. The recipe is almond milk with turmeric, cinnamon and ginger (and coconut oil and honey). My stomach doesn't like the acid of coffee anymore so this is fabulous. I do very little turmeric but a friend said cinnamon can be an issue and I saw specifically cassia cinnamon can be blood thinning. is that a thing? It has about half a tsp of cinnamon in it. I actually have been using Vietnamese cinnamon (because that is what I bought..no special reason). Now I'm thinking- geesh... can I not even do this? I actually have a GP appt in a few minutes about my gastro issues and will ask him but curious what others know. The recipe also has ginger.. that can't be an issue can it????

edit: I did ask him about turmeric and will write this on the other thread about it, but he said in food there really isn't enough to blood thin- BUT he is not a cardiologist. He said the cinnamon would be fine but I am still going to back off a bit.

Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2023 09:44AM by bettylou4488.
Re: cinnamon blood thinning?
January 07, 2023 02:48PM
I am on Eliquis 5 mg BID. I also take turmeric in liquid form daily as well as raw garlic mixed with honey. I take the turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties to address my osteoarthritis. I take the raw garlic also for it's anti-inflammatory properties as well as it antimicrobial properties. The turmeric and the garlic are known to be "blood thinners". I do not believe that their blood thinning capacity is strong enough to create a problem when added to the Eliquis that I take. For me I believe the benefits that I get from them outweigh any possible harm.
This is what I do for myself and I am not advising anyone to do the same. Just putting it out there to add to the discussion.
January 07, 2023 06:09PM
frankangelo
I take the turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties to address my osteoarthritis. I take the raw garlic also for it's anti-inflammatory properties as well as it antimicrobial properties.

Yes, a number of us are in this situation--osteoarthritis and not able to take the usual anti-inflammatories due to Eliquis. I have also been taking curcumin--it is hard to know what to do!
January 08, 2023 02:24AM
I agree, it's frustrating for us who take anticoagulants and also want to take anti-inflammatory supplements. And SO many supplements thin the blood: Fish oils, boswellia, C, E, tumeric, ginger, garlic, lipoic acid, reservatrol, apple cider vinegar, etc. etc., etc.
January 08, 2023 10:37PM
I add Vietnamese cinnamon to a lot of my food. I never noticed a difference. I also like spinach and use garlic to my meals. I gave up ginger when I started flecainide because I read of an interaction not related to Eliquis.
January 09, 2023 06:53PM
susan.d
I add Vietnamese cinnamon to a lot of my food. I never noticed a difference. I also like spinach and use garlic to my meals. I gave up ginger when I started flecainide because I read of an interaction not related to Eliquis.

ginger and flecanide have an interaction?
January 09, 2023 07:16PM
bettylou4488

Not according to the interaction checker at drugs.com.
January 10, 2023 02:22PM
Carey

Not according to the interaction checker at drugs.com.

wow I didn't know that they had spices and such on there. I usually use Epocrates. This will be useful smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login