Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do you take potasium supplmnt? And how do you get in your veggies?

Posted by LaDonna 
Do you take potasium supplmnt? And how do you get in your veggies?
December 27, 2022 09:02AM
Watched a video by Dr. Berg this morning on potasium and afib. I have also see information about people in the summer overdosing on coconut water and heart issues do to too much potasium. With all of that. Dr. Bergs comments and other folks also mention the fact that potasium levels in food (aka veggies) aint what it used to be because of farming practices, less nutrients etc... Anyone here take potesium suppliement, possitives/negatives? Or do most try to rely on potasium from eating enough vegetables and what is enough vegitables? What does that look like for you? Also, thinking of trying some dried apricots, heard they are a good source, or Aldis does sell coconut water, could try a little of that, have to dig more info so I thought Id ask here. Thanks everyone.
Re: Do you take potasium supplmnt? And how do you get in your veggies?
December 27, 2022 10:34AM
First, beware: those with kidney disease or poor kidney function ought to be VERY careful about ingesting potassium-rich foods.

I find that, if one can stand the extra calories, there are few more beneficial items to ingest than coconut water. It is loaded with electrolytes, and it is a way of rehydration...which many elderly people have as a chronic problem (I'm not assuming you're elderly, just pointing out that it's an effective solution to an elder population problem.) Moderation, though, is the key.

Beets are excellent, dried fruits like apricots. You can do a google search for 'how to get more potassium from my diet'.
December 27, 2022 11:41AM
I do take a potassium prescribed supplement. I also was born with other heart issue but just started the supplement a couple years ago. BUT I am followed by a physician and get regular blood tests (especially shortly after starting.). I did fool around with foods. Avocados were a go to for me. But just didn't do it. I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV.. but if you do supplement (not foods) I personally would do it under a doctor's care and if you go to town on a bunch of foods maybe the same is warranted. My mom also takes a supplement and she called me to ask me what she should do in regards to taking more. (It was a little low.). I said.. I am not a doctor and don't play one on TV. LOL!! There are salt alternatives that have potassium in them as their main thing and things like V8 etc. But I would do a blood test even before starting. To test your level but also things like kidney numbers as mentioned above. JMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2022 11:42AM by bettylou4488.
December 27, 2022 05:12PM
LaDonna
With all of that. Dr. Bergs comments and other folks also mention the fact that potasium levels in food (aka veggies) aint what it used to be because of farming practices, less nutrients etc... Anyone here take potesium suppliement, possitives/negatives? Or do most try to rely on potasium from eating enough vegetables and what is enough vegitables?

I concur with gloaming that any supplementation with potassium or other electrolytes must be with good kidneys, they will excrete any excess.

I do consume a lot of plants and have gone through the effort to track everything with a gram scale and enter into a database like cronometer.com to see how I'm doing. It is a lot of effort. As Dr. Berg mentions, you really don't know what is in the food, only what the outcome was with what was sampled for the databases. I eat a huge salad nightly with many different colorful components, as well as other food that contains potassium.

I do and have supplemented with potassium citrate powder for many years. I put 2 tsp of powder in maybe 830 ml (28 oz) of water and consume over the day. It is my DIY version of "timed release." 2 tsp of potassium citrate has about 4 grams of potassium in it. I also choose citrate as I had kidney stones in the late 1990's and citrate has been shown to impair new stone formation. Potassium should be consumed over the day because if consumed as a bolus (meaning all at one time), it will be quickly excreted by healthy kidneys.
January 30, 2023 01:18PM
My EP at the Cleveland Clinic Dr Pinsky "prescribed" potassium to me years ago. By this I mean he wrote it down for me to supplement my diet...he said in the form of Low-Sodium V8...no more than 2 grams additional potassium per day. When I started doing this my ectopics decreased dramatically, along with fewer afib episodes. He said increasing Potassium naturally is far better than supplements.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login