Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flec trail from the 80s

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Flec trail from the 80s
December 21, 2022 12:05AM
This got my interest since i take it as PIP. Would appreciate a comment from Carey and others in the know what your thought are. No doubt there is lots of new info re Flec? The comments are from an UK Cardiologist.
Please look @ from about 41:10
[www.youtube.com]
Re: Flec trail from the 80s
December 21, 2022 07:16AM
Joe
No doubt there is lots of new info re Flec?

I assume you are referring his comments on the CAST trial. Here is a wiki. The study paper is here.

Note here. "Do not use in patients with recent or prior MI." From CAST, "BACKGROUND AND METHODS.
In the Cardiac Arrhythmia Suppression Trial, designed to test the hypothesis that suppression of ventricular ectopy after a myocardial infarction reduces the incidence of sudden death, patients in whom ventricular ectopy could be suppressed with encainide, flecainide, or moricizine were randomly assigned to receive either active drug or placebo. The use of encainide and flecainide was discontinued because of excess mortality. We examined the mortality and morbidity after randomization to encainide or flecainide or their respective placebo."

I had this discussion around 2010 with my late mother's GP who is a friend. I believe it is CAST where the restriction on using flec with MI or heart failure patients comes from. Your doc should have reviewed your situation regarding MI/heart failure prior to prescribing flec, I know my EP did in 2004.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2022 08:04PM by GeorgeN.
December 21, 2022 02:56PM
The warning not to use it with MI and HF patients remains in place. Nothing new has been found to change that, and I think it's unlikely anybody will study that aspect again since it's too dangerous to try. As long as you haven't had an MI and don't have HF, it should be okay to continue using it.
December 21, 2022 07:49PM
Ditto George and Carey

A book was published in the 1990s about the inappropriate use of the drug.

DEADLY MEDICINE: Thomas J Moore " Why Tens of Thousands of Heart Patients Died in America's Worst Drug Disaster Hardcover – March 1, 1995"

It's reasonably safe for some.
Joe
December 22, 2022 03:15PM
Thank you for the clarification 👍
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login