Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fish Oil and Afib

Posted by Que 
Que
Fish Oil and Afib
December 17, 2022 03:46PM
I'm reading things about afib associated with taking fish oil. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that?

Peter Attia's Article
Re: Fish Oil and Afib
December 17, 2022 03:57PM
Que
I'm reading things about afib associated with taking fish oil. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on that?

Peter Attia's Article

Every time I gave fish oil a run, I got lots of PACs. Each time I tried it (maybe three experiments) I stopped due to a very notable increase in PACs.
December 17, 2022 04:19PM
Que

Personally, my cardiologist/cardiothoracic surgeon doc has me keep my omega 3 index north of 12 (which is very high) for brain reasons. I've had afib for over 18 years and have followed this advice for over 7 years with no impact on my afib rates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2022 10:25PM by GeorgeN.
December 17, 2022 04:38PM
I don't take fish oil, except for the odd piece of good cooked salmon now and then, perhaps once every ten days or so. I still have AF, and now it's recurrent. So, yes, no, take her pick. You'll be correct. Or wrong.
Que
December 18, 2022 12:19AM
I asked Dr. Natale's nurse, and they only restrict fish oil if the patient is on anti-coag therapy. One would be too anti-coagulated with the addition of fish oil.

I think what Dr. Attia is pointing out is different, though. Fish oils can cause afib, at least for those who are susceptible.
December 18, 2022 07:48PM
[academic.oup.com]

We found a U-shaped association between consumption of marine n-3 PUFA and risk of AF, with the lowest risk close to the median intake of total marine n-3 PUFA (0.63 g/day). Similar associations were found for intake of fish. We were unable to find evidence of a beneficial dose–response effect at higher levels of consumption of marine n-3 PUFA; on the contrary, both high and low levels of intake were associated with a higher risk of AF in this large study. These findings may be important when interpreting contradictory results from studies on consumption of marine n-3 PUFA and AF, suggesting that a moderate consumption of marine n-3 PUFA may be preferable for primary prevention of AF.

December 18, 2022 09:54PM
PavanPharter
We found a U-shaped association between consumption of marine n-3 PUFA and risk of AF, with the lowest risk close to the median intake of total marine n-3 PUFA (0.63 g/day).

"For quintiles of marine n-3 PUFA intake, a 13% statistically significant lower risk of AF was seen in the middle vs. lowest quintile: Q1 reference, Q2 HR 0.92 (95% CI 0.82–1.03), Q3 HR 0.87 (95% CI 0.78–0.98), Q4 HR 0.96 (95% CI 0.86–1.08), and Q5 HR 1.05 (95% CI 0.93–1.18)."

When I read papers, I look to see if the Ci crosses 1.0. If it does, then the result is NOT statistically significant. Only Q3 doesn't cross and just barely. Since these are hazard ratios not absolute increases, I would personally ignore this study. Doesn't mean it couldn't be an issue for some, but I would not generalize.
December 19, 2022 03:29PM
FWIW - I was taking large amounts of fish oil when I developed AFIB. I now stay in the sweet spot.
January 23, 2023 05:40PM
My Cardiologist tole me to take Fish Oil. I have taken 1000mgs daily for over eleven years.
Que
January 29, 2023 06:17PM
Here's a podcast with the leading fish oil person bil harris

Bill Harris' company, OmegaQuant, which offers tests
Que
January 29, 2023 08:52PM
And here's the study linking Afib and Fish Oil.

Omega-3 fatty acids supplementation and risk of atrial fibrillation: an updated meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials

Here's the key quote for me.

The results of this meta-analysis show that individuals at high risk for or with established CVD and elevated plasma triglycerides treated with O3FA supplementation have a significantly higher incidence of AF events, compared to placebo. We also found no heterogeneity and no small study publication bias.

So, applies to those with 1) current or at high-risk CVD and 2 high triglycerides.

Who is considered at high-risk for CVD? That's my question. Only those with post-myocardial infarction?
January 30, 2023 01:04AM
Que
Who is considered at high-risk for CVD? That's my question. Only those with post-myocardial infarction?

No, post-MI would indicate current CVD, not just high-risk. The risk factors for CVD are:

High Blood Pressure
High Blood Cholesterol
Diabetes
Obesity and Overweight
Smoking
Physical Inactivity
Que
January 30, 2023 05:33PM
A study out now says Fish Oil doesn't cause bleed pre & post surgery.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login