Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tymlos (abaloparatide) for osteoporosis

Posted by bneedell 
Tymlos (abaloparatide) for osteoporosis
December 16, 2022 11:45AM
As if having an arrhythmia isn't enough, I have severe osteoporosis and am at high risk for fracture. I am 73. My endocrinologist wants me to take Tymlos and managed to get approval from my insurance. Is anyone else with afib/flutter taking this or know anyone else who is? It scares me but so do hip/spine fractures.I am taking Eliquis and Diltiazem currently. thanks
Re: Tymlos (abaloparatide) for osteoporosis
December 16, 2022 01:29PM
You could pick your poison, so-to-speak, or you could equalize their chances of 'getting you'. If you're not a pessimist, equalize their chances of sustaining you.

One of them will eventually be the cause of your demise, but it need not be AF if that is well controlled. So, that leaves the osteoporosis. If it were me, I would at least try it for one year, with a baseline bone scan, and then see what happens after one year on both. If you're still doing okay, but if your bone density also rises, even only some, I would continue.
December 16, 2022 02:26PM
Here is commentary, on that and similar drugs, from a bone health site: [www.betterbones.com]

In summary: You can only take it up to two years due to safety concerns. In that two years it will increase bone density by about 10%, however when you stop the dog you will lose that gain.
December 16, 2022 05:17PM
the endocrinologist already told me that after 2 years I would have to take Reclast for 2 years,I assume to maintain.
December 16, 2022 05:18PM
thank you....you advice is reasonable and appreciated...I am still looking for someone who is or has actually tried it.
December 16, 2022 10:38PM
bneedell
thank you....you advice is reasonable and appreciated...I am still looking for someone who is or has actually tried it.

Not sure this will help but you may want to try reposting on the “General Health Forum.” Could be someone reading there may have something to offer.
December 16, 2022 11:51PM
When you're wondering what a drug might do to you, it's better to seek the facts than asking people what it did to them because everyone is different and this forum is a tiny sample size, especially when you're asking about uncommon drugs.

According to drugs.com, palpitations are a "less common" side effect of this drug. So there's some reason to be cautious, but Gloaming made a good point. Afib won't kill you or even debilitate you as long as you anticoagulate and keep your heart rate under control. Your life expectancy will be the same as someone without afib. But osteoporosis will kill or debilitate you. In one brief moment you can go from a normal, functioning person to a complete invalid with a fractured hip that will never let you out of bed again. An afib episode doesn't even begin to compare to fractured bones.
December 17, 2022 11:16PM
That’s certainly putting things in perspective.
December 17, 2022 11:21PM
Wise words, Carey...thanks so much. I am just looking for some personal experiences but have also carefully studied the facts, and my EP team asked their cardiology pharmacist to review Tymlos, given my condition and current medications. I got the ok to go ahead and try it, while of course still monitoring my heart rate, etc. It was a bit complicated because my endocrinologist and PCP are with one institution and my EP team with another, but thanks to online medical records etc I think everyone is on the same page. I really appreciate this group.
December 28, 2022 08:32AM
All of these osteo drugs can have significant side effects. You also need to check with your dentist, as many will not do significant dental work for anyone who takes these drugs. Was any mention of calcium supplements like Osteo-K or AlgaeCal mentioned? Also weight bearing exercises. Vibration platforms? Check out OsteoStrong.com on their program to address osteoporosis. A new drug called Evenity states that there is risk of heart attack or stroke while on it - that is what my Rheumatologist told me. I am already at risk with Afib, so why would I want to take a drug that can increase the risk even further?

I have osteoporosis and have increased my bone density by other methods. And these are more sustainable. Having said that, weighing the risks vs benefits after doing research on all options is important.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login