Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Ablation

Posted by LoisA 
First Ablation
December 12, 2022 08:18PM
Thought I would share my experience with my ablation 7 weeks ago in Ft Lauderdale Fl. with Dr Daniel Weitz. I've posted before about the genetic predisposition of Afib in my family with my 3 siblings, cousins, my father, several aunts (interestingly all on the Polish side of the family). Anyway, after Flecanide failure I opted for an ablation with great trepidation since my brothers have had many ablations over 15 years and long or uncomfortable recovery..But Good News! It couldn't have been easier. The total time was 1hr 45.min. I felt no pain afterwards, my groin entry point healed right way. I've had only occasional skipped beats. I stopped amiodarone after 2 weeks although it is still in my system for another few. The operating theater looked like a scene from Star Wars ship with all the high tech screens and monitors. The staff couldn't have been more attentive and Dr Weitz exudes confidence. I know I have just begun recovery and long term results aren't in, but if I had known it would be this easy, I would have done this years ago before all the drugs. I'm hoping for the best, I've been told I'm in a 75-80% success group.
My cousin is scheduled for a trial PFA with Dr Reddy in NYC in March. Progress is being made and we can control this beast! It's a royal pain.
Re: First Ablation
December 12, 2022 08:57PM
Best of luck!
I heard good things regarding dr reddy’s PFA trials in regards to your cousin’s upcoming ablation.
December 12, 2022 11:13PM
Hi Lois, great to hear your ablation went well! I hope the success continues.
December 13, 2022 01:27AM
Thank you. This forum has been a great source of information and shared experiences so thank you!
December 13, 2022 10:44AM
Congratulations Lois.
December 13, 2022 03:41PM
Thanks for telling your ablation story. I had my first ablation about two weeks after you did, also after a flecainide failure, and yes the question arises, “why did we wait?” Glad it went so well—so did mine. We will be interested to hear about your cousin’s PFA with Dr. Reddy.
December 14, 2022 04:40PM
Congratulations to you.
December 14, 2022 05:08PM
Good for you, Lois. If my experience helps a bit, and what you describe is certainly a lot like mine, don't push the envelope for about ten days if you can help it. Try to be patient, don't do strenuous things, don't jump into a hot tub as soon as the seven days are up....that kind of thing. It threw me and I was in the ER inside of a week. Go slow. Let the heart calm itself, and remember the handout that advised you're not out of the woods until several long weeks have gone by without a recurrence.
December 16, 2022 04:25PM
That’s great news. Congratulations.I had AF for decades before deciding on an Ablation. That was mostly due to poor advice from my then Cardiologist.
Life is so much better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login