Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

coffee

Posted by bneedell 
coffee
December 10, 2022 12:23PM
It see conflicting research about coffee. What do you think about a cup in the morning? I have been using decaf but i really miss my coffee :-) thanks
Re: coffee
December 10, 2022 12:34PM
Affects of caffeinated coffee is I believe individual, for me it has no affect. When I have a question re affects of food/drink I usually abstain for a while and see if it has a positive affect, then re introduce to determine any negative.
December 10, 2022 01:50PM
FWIW - one ablation normally in NSR but with some other issues. Stopped caffeinated coffee prior to ablation - no help and continued with decaf after ablation until I thought I'd try reg coffee again. Within 48 hours, in flutter and had to get an ECV. Damn thing is, I still drink diet soda (I know I shouldn't) and it has more caffeine than the low levels in my regular coffee. Mother nature is a mad scientist.

EDIT: Finally looked up the numbers for this. No wonder I developed AFIB. For 2 decades I had at least one cup of strong coffee every day.

It was really strong.

The avg cup of coffee is about 94mg of caffeine. A 12 oz can of coke is 29mg. Based on measurements made this AM my single cup of coffee was between 300-500mg depending on if I tamped down the espresso. There were days I had up to 3 cups like this. From 3-10X what someone should have in a day on coffee alone and I also drank diet sodas with 100+ more mg daily.

Decaf only now, way less soda and nope to energy drinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2022 09:56AM by PavanPharter.
December 10, 2022 03:24PM
No relation for me between caffeine and AFib.
December 10, 2022 03:51PM
Multiple studies have shown time and again that caffeine does not cause afib. It's actually somewhat helpful.

Take a look at this study. Pay particular attention to Table 2, which is a summary of the studies done on this and their results.

Now go have a nice cup of coffee.
December 10, 2022 06:14PM
SUMMARY
According to this study mentioned above the following was found.

Regular caffeine intake through coffee and tea is safe and may even protect against heart rhythm disorders. There is however a “safe” cutoff ” of 300 mg caffeine intake per day, which equals about 3-4 regular cups of coffee per day.

Some individuals are very sensitive to caffeine and those who do experience noticeable effects due to caffeine usage must avoid caffeinated beverages. Unfortunately what the study does not say is that you will only know how sensitive you are to caffeine if you experience an “AFIB attack” after using a caffeinated drink.

Many energy drinks have caffeine content between 160 and 500 mg in a single serving, and therefore should be used with caution. I avoid it totally.

Do you want to get rid of the bad stuff in your body? Use this Rooibos Tea Detox.

[www.myafibheart.com]
Re: Coffee
December 10, 2022 08:12PM
December 10, 2022 08:21PM
Over the years, some folks seem to be sensitive to coffee and if they consumed organic coffee, the afib sensitivity went away.
December 10, 2022 09:34PM
I actually collect coffee from private roasters around the country. A hobby. I drink strong dark coffee ea AM
Have since afib started 2006. No relationship. Yes ive been ablated but have found alcohol to be my culprit
A direct relationship. I drank coffee the morning after my 8-6-21 Natale ablation in Austin. I also eat very dark chocolate
Every day
December 11, 2022 01:03AM
I had a wine spritzer yesterday evening with the missus, and had a rum and eggnog this afternoon....after coffee. Nada. Methinks it's the same problem that model railroaders complain about. Their trains and layout work well the evening prior to inviting the public in to see the trains, but as soon as the power goes to the rails, the gremlins take over...and nothin' works. angry smiley
December 11, 2022 09:58AM
Trains, dog tricks, children, etc....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login