Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

56 BPM and Afib?

Posted by LaniB 
56 BPM and Afib?
December 08, 2022 10:53PM
Just curious what y'all may think about this. A male friend, who is 80, and not very good shape, doesn't exercise, was complaining about lethargy and wondered if he had Afib. He doesn't "feel" it like I did. He won't go to any doctor, hasn't been in years. I suggested he buy a Kardia or Apple watch to see if it registered AFIB. He got one and it read 56 BPM Possible Afib. How can that be? I suggested that he go to an EP but he wants to give it another 2 to 3 weeks and take more readings. Anybody know what may be going on here?
Re: 56 BPM and Afib?
December 08, 2022 11:19PM
Sure, he has afib. The Kardia said so and it's FDA approved to say so. Afib with a normal heart rate and no symptoms is entirely possible and not all that unusual.

Do you know how to take a pulse? If so, take his, and never mind counting the beats just pay attention to the rhythm. It should be a regular beat, like a drumbeat. If it's an irregular beat with no rhythm, it's afib.
December 09, 2022 10:09AM
would he be at risk for stroke without any anti coagulant medication?
December 09, 2022 12:04PM
LaniB
would he be at risk for stroke without any anti coagulant medication?

who is 80, and not very good shape, doesn't exercise

My guess is his CHA2DS2–VASc score is materially above the 2 points he'd get just for age. So yes he is at risk. Just because the ventricular rate is low, the atrial rate is high and flow through the LAA is likely slow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login