Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fast Afib, I think "tachycardia" question

Posted by LaDonna 
Fast Afib, I think "tachycardia" question
December 07, 2022 09:12AM
I put it with a questionmark as I know we all have different experiences/types of afib. A friend once said her hubby has the type of afib that "glugg,gluggs", meaning he is very slow. I am one of the people who's heart goes real fast, I think its called tachycardia and the slow, braidycardia? Anyhoo... For those who are fast like my heart, here is my question(s). When I have an episode, which have been more frequent recently, my heart gets up to 191 and fluctuates between around 170-200 especially if I move like getting up to go potty. This lasts for the 4-6 hours that it takes to convert with the meds. With that, it is very stressful for all involved including the hubby and the kids who sit and watch mom breathing like she's in labor smiling smiley and stressing about every little feeling etc... So. I take my meds when I have an episode as instructed. But, its really hard to function, is this the norm? are there any tricks or help so it is less stressful, for me, for everyone? Having a follow up apptmnt with the doc on Thursday. Gonna see if we need to tweek the meds or what might be better for maybe getting the heart to be a little slower until conversion? Perhaps a little higher dose of metoprolol? Anyway, this is the conversation I will have with doctor tomorrow. My last episode was just particularly nasty, around 186 for 4 hours before correcting and just more uncomfortable. And I think it was stress that caused it to begin with as I was trying to throw a surprise party for my hubby, and was stressed abt timing, money etc... Well we got a surprise alright smiling smiley Thanks folks for insite and/or encouragement.
Re: Fast Afib, I think "tachycardia" question
December 07, 2022 10:48AM
We all have much the same sensations as a group of AF sufferers, but in degrees and not all as salient as the other symptoms. By that I mean some feel the palpitations and it drives them crazy...usually with anxiety...while others only feel the shortness of breath and other symptoms. Those who suffer atrial flutter don't often know it, and many don't know they are in atrial fibrillation.

As a group, those whose AF reverts to NSR after a short while (less than 24 hours), are termed 'paroxysmal'. Their AF comes and goes and seems to be associated with effort or stressors of another kind, and are self-limiting. Further, as a group, paroxysmal AF suffers tend to realize when they're in AF, and they don't particularly like the experience...not at all. They are actually highly intolerant of their AF episodes, remember, as a group. Individuals vary.

We all cope different ways. A pill is going to take at least half an hour, but often metoprolol takes more like two full hours to take effect, particularly if you haven't been taking it regularly and on a schedule (usually twice a day at a prescribed dosage).

You will be placed on a regimen of anti-coagulant. Most of us get apixaban, and in my case it is the Eliquis brand. Five mg, twice a day. This will greatly reduce the likelihood of your dying from a stroke due to a dislodged blood clot. The heart has a 'grotto' at the extreme left of the left atrium, where AF takes place. That grotto is called the 'atrial appendage'. It is a known site where slow-moving blood might clot, and then get released and flow to your heart or to your brain. Bad news. Apixaban and others slow this process of clotting by a factor of three or so. Your risk of dying from a stroke during AF, or shortly after reverting again, is about 15%. Apixaban takes that down to the 3% range. Worth popping an apixaban twice a day, don't you think?

You'll need to find ways to cope with the stress of this. Education and understanding are the first steps. You're apparently doing that. Talk about it with people who like you enough to listen while you babble on about your experience. grinning smiley

Some of us walk....and walk. Some clean house. Some sit at the computer and try to distract themselves. Apart from rest, trying to relax, sleeping well, eating well, and getting medical attention in a timely manner, that's about all you can do.

One more bit of information: as a general rule, not absolute, a very high heart rate above 150, particularly those over 50 years of age, is likely to be supraventricular tachycardia (meaning above the ventricals), or it's just as likely to be atrial futter. Atrial flutter takes place in the right atrium. It is very rapid, and once it sets in, flutter is usually as close to permanent as it can get. It doesn't tend to revert as paroxysmal AF does. It is also treatable once the medical team knows it is there. Until you're having an episode and get an EKG done by a competent technician, and then read by a competent person skilled at reading EKGs, you should assume you have SVT....but it's not a safe bet.

Lastly, do deal with this rather aggressively. Don't stew and fret and be afraid of coming to grips with this disorder. It is a progressive disorder, and if you wait more than necessary, you'll find fewer and fewer professionals who will be able to help you. You want to get treated while you are in the paroxysmal stage. The best outcomes for treatment come in the first year or so after diagnosis.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2022 02:13AM by gloaming.
December 07, 2022 02:58PM
The name for what you have is afib with RVR. RVR means rapid ventricular response, which is just a fancy way of saying rapid heart rate. Yes, tachycardia is the correct term for it. My afib was very similar, with rates running about 170-190.

I'd say it's very likely your metoprolol dosage does need to be increased if you're hitting those kind of rates even with the drug. How much were you prescribed? You said "drugs" (plural). What else do you take for these episodes? Are you also taking an anticoagulant?

You said you breath like you're in labor during an episode. Is that due to fear or are you genuinely short of breath? If it's primarily fear, the one thing you need to remember when you're having an episode is that afib will not kill you. It might feel like it will, but it won't. If you're able, it would be better for you to get up and be active. Go for a walk, do what you can, even if it's just puttering around the house, and keep reminding yourself that no one dies of afib.
December 07, 2022 04:18PM
I had a koi pond installed with two massive 4400 gallon (an hour) waterfalls. Is quite loud. I find it distracting. I sit and watch my koi or the waterfalls. If you live by the beach I would suggest someone drive you if you are symptomatic. I found cold breezes converted me..and if not it’s a calming environment to relax. Or just find your calm spot and distract yourself.
December 07, 2022 05:01PM
Thank you again, you all are so patient. So carey as far as what I take, yes, it is all the necessary stuffs at the moment flecainide, metoprolol, and eliquis. When I say labor breathing, I think gloaming hit the nail on the head with paroxsymal afibber people just not used to the crappy feeling and NOT liking it. For me, if I try to move around alot it feels like I could get light headed or do get light headed, but maybe I just need to work through it, it just FEELS aweful, and then the fears DO creep in and every little thing feels exagerated... Me: "why are my fingers tingling on my left hand"? Why do i feel light headed"? Why this feeling-that feeling" Ya'll probably think Im a wimp! haha... well. I confess, I dont like it, in fact Im pissed off to be honest. I guess Im in a season of coming to terms with all of this stuff, and dang it, if Im goin down Im going down swinging. I just dont want to live this way. I feel a little desperate trying to figure out how to never have it happen again smiling smiley Thanks for undersanding...
December 07, 2022 05:13PM
In the beginning of my Afib saga I also had extremely high rates and was quite freaked out by my six hour episodes. I think the trick to coping with them for me was, over time, I just got used to it and distracted myself in one way or another. I also had some conversion tricks that worked pretty well. Also rate control got me to a more comfortable level. You might want to ask about diltiazem tomorrow as a possible rate control medication. Eventually I hope you come up with a long-term strategy to get out of Afib altogether!
December 07, 2022 07:34PM
LaDonna
Me: "why are my fingers tingling on my left hand"? Why do i feel light headed"? Why this feeling-that feeling"

Tingling in the extremities is a classic sign of hyperventilation. It's caused by breathing so rapidly that you're blow off too much CO2, which makes your fingers tingle, and sometimes even your lips and face. I've seen that a million times with panic attacks, and that's why having a person who's having a panic attack breath in and out of a paper bag can stop the attack. It brings your CO2 levels back to normal, which makes the weird symptoms go away, which makes the panic go away.

So it sounds to me like your afib is triggering a bit of a panic attack. If you can't slow your breathing on your own, get a paper bag and take a few deep, slow breaths from it. While you're doing that, keep repeating to yourself, nobody dies of afib, nobody dies of afib....
December 08, 2022 07:45PM
Thank you Carey, appreciate the advice. It is all a learning curve, and a lot "realzing things" for lack of better words at the moment. I am trying to choose to keep a positive attitude. To look at this as an oportunity to learn about myself and take care of myself. Hoping to make good choices and make the most of this wonderful life that Gos has given me. Thanks so much everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login