Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mild obstructive sleep apnea

Posted by bneedell 
Mild obstructive sleep apnea
December 06, 2022 04:21PM
I finally had a sleep study done (Stanford Sleep Medicine Center) because I wake up every few hours. I don't have a followup until January 4, but got a "letter" that says I have mild obstructive sleep apnea/apnea-hypopnea index of 7 and minimum oxygen saturation of 85%. Significant cardiac arrhythmias not seen during study. Does anyone else have this? thanks
Re: Mild obstructive sleep apnea
December 06, 2022 05:56PM
OSA and reluctance to use a CPAP were factors for me developing AF.

The causation is very clear. OSA = CRP = AF.

Don't be proud. Get and use a CPAP.

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2022 05:57PM by PavanPharter.
December 06, 2022 08:10PM
A possible simple approach is mouth taping during sleep. In this post, I have heart rate vs. time graphs showing the difference without and with mouth taping. In the three graphs, the top shows the entire time I was monitoring. Where I woke up, realized my mouth was dry (meaning I was mouth breathing) then applied tape is obvious. The second graph is a zoom during the time of no tape (the patterns are apnea patterns & I can provide a PowerPoint reference given by a researcher showing these patterns where the data were gathered from Holter monitor data and presented as heart rate vs. time AKA "tachogram"). The last graph is when I was wearing tape. You can compare the middle and last graph and see a huge difference. I'm not saying this will work for all apnea, but is an easy approach that may work.

Resources on why learning to breathe slowly during the day can help at night also here.

I can provide other resources, if interested.
December 06, 2022 09:08PM
GeorgeN
A possible simple approach is mouth taping during sleep.
Resources on why learning to breathe slowly during the day can help at night also here.
I can provide other resources, if interested.

GeorgeN, I am interested in how one knows they need mouth taping. For years, I am a light sleeper. Sometimes I fall asleep for 2 hr & sometimes 4 hr, I have a lot of variability, but when I wake I can't get back to bed. Would this sound like an indication for some kind of diagnostic tests. Mouth taping sounds awful, but not sure why one uses it.

Thanks
December 06, 2022 09:13PM
My Sleep study showed 11, also mild. Years of sleeping that way resulted in AF. I now have used a CPAP for 4 years and am much improved. Just don't expect immediate results.
December 06, 2022 09:18PM
thanks so much could you send me a link on Amazon or something to the exact kind of tape because I don't quite know what you mean.
How wide,? what's blue tape versus green tape etc.
and then how do you tape it and if the doc recommends a CPAP I will try it but that's not until January
December 06, 2022 09:57PM
bneedell
thanks so much could you send me a link on Amazon or something to the exact kind of tape because I don't quite know what you mean.
How wide,? what's blue tape versus green tape etc.
and then how do you tape it and if the doc recommends a CPAP I will try it but that's not until January

There are some suggestions in my post here. As well as by other posters in the posts that follow mine. The author of Breath, James Nestor, says he uses a piece about 1/2 as wide as a postage stamp, just to remind his brain to keep his mouth shut. In this store I've used the tape on the left. It goes all the way across my mouth. A lot of people will fold the tape back on itself just a bit to make it easy to take off. I've got a mustache, so I just dry (wipe) my lips on an arm and then put the tape on. Sometimes I'll fold my lips kind of inside my mouth, so the tape isn't on lip skin, but usually I don't bother. In this link, there is MyoTape. It surrounds the lips and uses elastic to keep them closed, but there is an opening. It is more expensive & I've never used it. However if someone is freaked about doing it, it might be an option.

There are a number of products, I've used the one I linked to for many years and it works for me.
December 06, 2022 10:10PM
Madeline
GeorgeN, I am interested in how one knows they need mouth taping. For years, I am a light sleeper. Sometimes I fall asleep for 2 hr & sometimes 4 hr, I have a lot of variability, but when I wake I can't get back to bed. Would this sound like an indication for some kind of diagnostic tests. Mouth taping sounds awful, but not sure why one uses it.

The easiest thing is to just try it and see if you feel better. You might want to try it during the day for a while to get used to it. Heck, my 32 year old daughter and her 36 year old husband say they really feel better when they tape. One of our members here in his 80's also tapes and so does his wife. If you wake up with a dry mouth, that is for sure an indication you are sleeping with your mouth open. As I mentioned in the link in my first post above, with the heart rate graphs, I thought I'd been taping long enough my brain would be trained. However my data suggest otherwise, so I tape every night. One of my rock climbing partners is a single 35 year old woman. I contaminate her with my ideas, so she tapes. She tells me if she's with a new guy, she just tells him she has this weird habit. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

As to getting back to sleep, this post has a number of suggestions. I've found that for me, that listening to Yoga Nidra or self-hypnosis scripts are pretty effective (suggestions on where to find these are in the link). Also in the link in the first sentence of this paragraph, there are a number of ideas. Different things work for different people.

As to why people do this, I suggest James Nestor's book Breath, One of the things discussed was an experiment that a Stanford prof ran on James and another guy. He instrumented them and plugged their noses for something like 10 days and recorded the results. Then they did an equal period with nose breathing. James has done a number of podcasts, but these two with UK doc Rangan Chattergee are excellent.
[drchatterjee.com]
[drchatterjee.com]

Other references include Patrick McKeown's books, The Oxygen Advantage and The Breathing Cure. Find them here: [oxygenadvantage.com] and on Amazon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2022 10:40PM by GeorgeN.
December 07, 2022 12:11AM
I have severe sleep apnea. Nobody knew, least of all me, until my heart began to fibrillate near the end of a 10 km run. Five years later, I have been using a CPAP since December of 2017. I learned during the first night that I sleep with my mouth open...slack-jawed and with no tone in the lips. Unlike some who teach themselves to suck up their tongue to the palate and pharyngeal tissue, and to keep it there while they sleep, I simply have to tape. Nothing else works.

3M NexCare brand has at least three suitable tapes to try. You want anything water resistant, easily released, and with moderate to strong hold. They make a blue tape described as 'strong hold' that I have just begun to use. If I clean my mouth well before applying it, I can re-use the same strip at least three times, often four.

In my case, a short remnant of tape doesn't work reliably. I have found that covering my entire mouth past both ends by about 1/2" does the trick.
December 07, 2022 10:17AM
George,

Do you have overnight O2 data from just mouth taping?

Do you believe that mouth taping alone may raise O2 levels to suitable levels for some people?

Thanks
December 07, 2022 06:06PM
PavanPharter
George,

Do you have overnight O2 data from just mouth taping?

Do you believe that mouth taping alone may raise O2 levels to suitable levels for some people?

Thanks

I do have data from while I'm taped. I don't have data without tape as I always tape and have for quite a few years. I've had this ring for 3 or 4 years. It reads & records SpO2 & heart rate every 4 seconds. I got the monitor after I started taping.

Sleeping at sea level I have perfect SpO2, average 97 or 98%
Sleeping at 5,500' elevation (home) I might get one > 4% drop/hour. I average 94 or 95% overnight.
I also sleep at 7,500 and up to 10,500' My average is lower for each, which is to be expected.

I start out sleeping in bed and commonly wake up. If I stay in bed, I have a difficult time going back to sleep. So I go to a recliner couch in our basement. I find that listening to Yoga Nidra or self hypnosis scripts on an mp3 player usually puts me back in sleep. In bed, I can see some drop, but never know if I'm sleeping on the arm/hand with the SpO2 ring on it, restricting blood flow, or if it is a true drop. When I sleep reclining, I don't move and don't get any drops. I also do Wim Hof breathing, where you hyperventilate for 30 breaths, then hold your breath out as long as possible. I commonly hold my breath for 2-3 minutes and routinely drop my SpO2 to 70% (or lower as this is the lowest the ring will go, I've dropped it to 50% on another device). I have no issue with these intentional drops, so the short time the ring shows lower, I'm not worried about. I intentionally work on increasing CO2 tolerance. Because of the Bohr effect, the higher your serum CO2 the more oxygen gets released from your hemoglobin into your cells ( see: Oxyhemoglobin Dissociation Curve ).

So I don't know. What I do know is it is a simple, cheap experiment to figure out if it works for you.
December 07, 2022 08:08PM
Very cool, thanks George. I have a friend that needs help in figuring out if she needs a CPAP or something else.
December 09, 2022 10:41AM
Yep, I was tested for sleep apnea a few months ago and it reported as being mild (6). EP suggested I go with CPAP machine (which was on back order for 4 months) and I've been given the head gear that has a nasal pillow fitting just below the nose. It's very comfortable and will not allow me to open my mouth because the rush of air would be overwhelming trying to catch my breath! I was given a chin strap to wear to ensure my mouth stayed closed, so the tape is not an option for me. But I haven't used the strap yet because I know I snore with my mouth closed sometimes. Also, I've trained my brain to keep my mouth closed for fear of that breathtaking rush of air! I'm still not sleeping enough but they say I have to give it more time to get used to it. I have 30 days to try the different types of head gear. I'm kinda claustrophobic so the full-face mask might not work for me, but I'll check it out anyway. My EP's team is helping determine if my PVCs are causing lack of sleep.... or if my lack of a good night's rest (8hrs) is causing the PVCs. I'm on different meds which two of them they feel is keeping afib at bay (Flecainide & Metoprolol) I'm also taking Eliquis, Metformin, Crestor. I have noticed that an occasional Ativan before bed helps me get a good night's sleep and reduces the number of PVCs/PACs the following day, but it doesn't help the snoring/apnea. I would take it every night but it's one of those addictive drugs, so I don't take more than twice a month if that.
Good luck with taking care of your sleep apnea! Keep us posted on your journey.

Margaret
December 09, 2022 02:58PM
Thank you very much for all the info George. I guess I am more a hyperactive brain type than one in need of CPAP. I am energetic the next day, so am not suffering that way. Last night I tried the serial diverse imaging first with my seed word & then used their app to see what it offered. I like what they call the cognitive shuffle. Not sure after one try, but it seems more my need to trick the brain to get it away from too much thinking about other things. I don't like yoga nidras much; I do better following my own pattern of relaxation - when they go through all that guidance, I can't relax. I do practice some meditation, but those things I do not do at bedtime. Otherwise, I follow most of the sleep hygiene protocols. Except I do not go to bed the exact same time every night, but pretty stable there, especially the getting up in the morning.

I also want to check out the Buteyko breathing again. I looked at that briefly yrs ago, but did not have time to go through with all of it.

GeorgeN

The easiest thing is to just try it and see if you feel better. You might want to try it during the day for a while to get used to it. Heck, my 32 year old daughter and her 36 year old husband say they really feel better when they tape. One of our members here in his 80's also tapes and so does his wife. If you wake up with a dry mouth, that is for sure an indication you are sleeping with your mouth open. As I mentioned in the link in my first post above, with the heart rate graphs, I thought I'd been taping long enough my brain would be trained. However my data suggest otherwise, so I tape every night. One of my rock climbing partners is a single 35 year old woman. I contaminate her with my ideas, so she tapes. She tells me if she's with a new guy, she just tells him she has this weird habit. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

As to getting back to sleep, this post has a number of suggestions. I've found that for me, that listening to Yoga Nidra or self-hypnosis scripts are pretty effective (suggestions on where to find these are in the link). Also in the link in the first sentence of this paragraph, there are a number of ideas. Different things work for different people.

As to why people do this, I suggest James Nestor's book Breath, One of the things discussed was an experiment that a Stanford prof ran on James and another guy. He instrumented them and plugged their noses for something like 10 days and recorded the results. Then they did an equal period with nose breathing. James has done a number of podcasts, but these two with UK doc Rangan Chattergee are excellent.
[drchatterjee.com]
[drchatterjee.com]

Other references include Patrick McKeown's books, The Oxygen Advantage and The Breathing Cure. Find them here: [oxygenadvantage.com] and on Amazon.
December 09, 2022 04:22PM
Madeline
Thank you very much for all the info George. I guess I am more a hyperactive brain type than one in need of CPAP. I am energetic the next day, so am not suffering that way. Last night I tried the serial diverse imaging first with my seed word & then used their app to see what it offered. I like what they call the cognitive shuffle. Not sure after one try, but it seems more my need to trick the brain to get it away from too much thinking about other things. I don't like yoga nidras much; I do better following my own pattern of relaxation - when they go through all that guidance, I can't relax. I do practice some meditation, but those things I do not do at bedtime. Otherwise, I follow most of the sleep hygiene protocols. Except I do not go to bed the exact same time every night, but pretty stable there, especially the getting up in the morning.

I also want to check out the Buteyko breathing again. I looked at that briefly yrs ago, but did not have time to go through with all of it.

The seed word doesn't work as well for me (I had to think too much spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ), the app worked better as someone was telling me what word to think.

I mentioned several of Patrick McKeown's books above. Patrick trained under Dr. Buteyko and had a practice as a Buteyko breathing instructor for 10-15 years. Then he started his Oxygen Advantage program, which includes a lot of Buteyko practices, but goes far beyond that. Buteyko is primarily focussed on increasing CO2 tolerance. This is Patrick's Buteko website: [buteykoclinic.com] One of his Buteyko instruction books
[buteykoclinic.com] in PDF form. He's also got a lot of YouTube material. One of Patrick's students, Nick Heath, PhD is a T1 diabetic and started thebreathingdiabetic.com site. Nick has looked at a lot of the slow breathing techniques and their benefits. In a nutshell, slow breathing is 4-6 breaths/minute. Generally with a longer exhale than inhale, though balanced inhale/exhale has many benefits also.

There is a large menu to choose from in breathing practices. My basics generally are nose breathing all the time (even during high intensity exercise) and slow breathing at rest plus taping at night. I will do some of the hyperventilation followed by exhaled breath holds, such as Wim Hof breathing, but will always follow them with slow breathing to recover my CO2 levels. Increasing CO2 tolerance can help with anxiety in many cases. Intentional hyperventilation can be a hormetic stressor and has shown benefits in autoimmune issues.
December 10, 2022 01:52PM
Win Hof video if anyone wants to try it. 57 million others have

[www.youtube.com]
December 10, 2022 07:08PM
PavanPharter
Win Hof video if anyone wants to try it. 57 million others have

[www.youtube.com]

Do you think it more worthwhile than Patrick McKeown's? It takes a lot of time to learn & do new things, much less having so many suggestions & choices.

Thanks.
December 10, 2022 08:31PM
Madeline
Do you think it more worthwhile than Patrick McKeown's? It takes a lot of time to learn & do new things, much less having so many suggestions & choices.

Wim's is very different than Patrick's, from a biochemical perspective (I've done and do both). Patrick is working on CO2 sensitivity and increasing serum CO2. Wim's will initially deplete serum CO2 and then increase it during the exhaled breath hold. The 4-6 breaths a minute slow breathing through your nose is the place I'd start. This is because it will start to work on CO2 sensitivity and data are plentiful about its benefits. It is not stressful (unless your CO2 tolerance is really low, then breathe a little faster, where it isn't stressful and over time slow your breathing more as you adapt). Wim's hyperventilation plus the long exhaled breath is a hormetic stress. This hormetic stress can also reduce chronic stress, but can be a bit stressful for some and perhaps evening triggering to a few.

If I do Wim's approach, I always follow it with slow breathing to recover my serum CO2 level.
Que
December 18, 2022 12:30AM
I'm using the Excite OSA, which has brought my score down. I like it.

Excite OSA.

Also, using a MAD, mandibular advancement device at night.

Dr. Capasso at Stanford knows about both. See him. He's great.

There's also this, but no experience

Sulthiame
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login