Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Echo cardiogram results that would make you ineligible for Ablation

Posted by Johnnyk80 
Echo cardiogram results that would make you ineligible for Ablation
October 10, 2022 02:06PM
Hello all. I need to get a recent echo cardiogram to ensure I can get an ablation. I'm wondering if anyone knows any or all of the results of an echo that would exclude someone from receiving an ablation for Afib? What are they looking for? Would slightly sclerotic valves (due mainly to my age) exclude me from an ablation? Any insights?

John
Re: Echo cardiogram results that would make you ineligible for Ablation
October 10, 2022 02:33PM
Most of the things that would exclude you would be pretty major findings such as heart failure, hypertrophic
cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart), significant valve disease, any other sort of heart disease that would require treatment first, or unusual anatomy that would make ablation impossible. Slightly sclerotic valves won't rule you out. All in all, if your overall health is good it's unlikely anything will exclude you.
October 10, 2022 04:02PM
Johnnyk80
Hello all. I need to get a recent echo cardiogram to ensure I can get an ablation. I'm wondering if anyone knows any or all of the results of an echo that would exclude someone from receiving an ablation for Afib? What are they looking for? Would slightly sclerotic valves (due mainly to my age) exclude me from an ablation? Any insights?

John

I needed to get a new echo before my ablation was scheduled and it showed severe mitral valve regurgitation, so the ablation was put on hold until that was resolved. I had a MitraClip placed and am now scheduled for an ablation next month.
October 10, 2022 06:30PM
In addition to what has been mentioned, ischemic heart disease can make ablation therapy either tough or moot, take your pick. If you have significant deposition of atherosclerotic plaque that has an impact on your heart supply, the EP might want you to get a better chance of a curative ablation after an angioplasty or a bypass operation. Otherwise, it's like trying to fill a tub with the plug out.
October 11, 2022 02:21AM
The size of your left atrium might be a factor,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login