Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Diltiazem Specific Brand (Sun)

Posted by Michael777 
Diltiazem Specific Brand (Sun)
October 04, 2022 03:30AM
Anyone know where I can reliably obtain Sun brand diltiazem 360? I have 5 years of event free time on Sun brand diltiazem and flecainide 100 or flecainide 50. About a year ago I was on Igneus brand diltiazem 360 for 1 month when the local pharmacy switched to that, and had 3 events in that one month. I switched back to Sun brand via Amazon pharmacy and now have another year of event free time. Unfortunately, Amazon no longer allows me to choose by brand, so I need a new pharmacy.

In Britain, prescribers and pharmacies are required to keep people on the same brand of diltiazem. Brand seems to matter with diltiazem 360.

[nwlmcs.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2022 03:35AM by Michael777.
Re: Diltiazem Specific Brand (Sun)
October 04, 2022 03:49AM
Maybe contact the company and ask them?
October 04, 2022 05:21AM
Or call around private pharmacies. They don’t share the wholesale warehouses the big chains do. I found they match my insurance prices and I get whatever drug manufacturers I want.
October 04, 2022 11:03AM
Diltiazem Extended-Release (24Hr) (Cardizem Cd)by Sun

[honeybeehealth.com]
October 04, 2022 11:49AM
[www.israelpharm.com]
From $11 but it isn’t Sun Brand/manufacturer but the expiration dates are always years in advance. Maybe that was your problem with big chain pharmacies using the same warehouse, you may not get a good date freshness.

All you do is take a phone picture of your rx and either email to israelpharm or attach on the order.

If you use the following code you get $50 off. $75 qualifies for 3-4 day free shipping. Mine are DHL shipped.
ref6604998
Practically free to try it out if you use the code. A few folks here get their blood thinners from them (Eliquis is $105/month for both 5mg and 2.5mg- spilt if you have a sealed watchman to double the amount ).

George- I was told rapid release is better to convert but others use extended release for maintenance. I take a rapid every 8 hours which is probably the same as time release.
October 04, 2022 06:06PM
Thank you everybody for your helpful suggestions. I can see that I have a lot of work to do. I ordered Honeybee's Sun brand pills. When I called they assured me that only Sun would be sent, and put a note on my chart to only send Sun. I am waiting for the scrip to transfer over from Amazon.

I should probably also scope out local pharmacies, so that I have a variety of options if something changes with pharmacy policies. Maybe locals will even give me a better price. The CVS near my house told me that they are not allowed to order Sun brand anymore, but only certain brands on their company list. A local hospital pharmacy told me that Sun doesn't make the pills anymore, even though I have been getting them from others. Then they offered to sell me a different brand for $1000. Each pharmacy seems to be completely different. It may take quite a bit of work to develop a list of reliable and affordable local pharmacies. Few pharmacies seem to want to give you a specific brand.

This Israeli pharmacy is interesting, but I really want to stay with Sun brand for now. A proven winner. Especially in light of the British policy of keeping patients on the same brand of diltiazem 360, because in their experience different brands have different effects on people. There are only a few types of meds where brand seems to matter, but diltiazem is one of them. I never had any trouble when atorvastatin brands were changed by the local pharmacy, for example.

Writing the manufacturer might yield a list of pharmacies that sell Sun.

Thank you everyone.
October 05, 2022 04:35PM
CVS, rite aid, Costco etc etc uses the same warehouse. You maybe better off calling up a small mom and pop pharmacy and ask if they can meet the price of cvs and get you Sun using their warehouses. They are getting driven out by Amazon and chains so they may give you a break on the cost. And small pharmacies deliver to your door for free which is nice.
October 06, 2022 01:51AM
I'm not quite sure where to find mom and pop pharmacies, but I shall try. Thank you for the suggestion.
October 06, 2022 04:49PM
Sometimes they are located in the medical building, or in close proximity to a hospital.
October 06, 2022 09:43PM
Okay, there are a number of hospitals and medical building around here that may be possible candidates. Thanks again.
October 06, 2022 10:29PM
I haven't seen a non-chain pharmacy where I live in years. In fact, I just did a web search and there are a grand total of 4 non-chain pharmacies in the entire state, the closest of which is a 1 hour drive away.
October 06, 2022 10:52PM
Carey
I haven't seen a non-chain pharmacy where I live in years. In fact, I just did a web search and there are a grand total of 4 non-chain pharmacies in the entire state, the closest of which is a 1 hour drive away.

The way I found them is through a Medicare Part D search on Medicare.gov--after you enter your medications they ask you for a radius to search for pharmacies and several independent pharmacies come up within 15 miles.
October 06, 2022 11:01PM
It probably varies somewhat from place to place. I used Google Maps, which I find to be extremely accurate and up to date with things like this. I would know if there was one as close as 15 miles, and there just isn't. Until I did my search I wasn't sure I would find any at all. They just don't exist here anymore.
October 07, 2022 03:05AM
Sadly then the big chains near you and Amazon has gobbled them out of business because they underpriced in price the mom and pop pharmacies. Where I live there are dozens in a 5 mile radius plus 9 hospitals in a 30 minute radius that have pharmacies. Or you live in a rural area.

Try compounding pharmacies. That’s who I use. Plus I get pharmacies 30 minutes away west or pharmacies east, to deliver for free. I can’t believe there isn’t a pharmacy on the first floor of a hospital near you.

Perhaps Carey you don’t live in a big enough city or suburb that offers a better pharmacy selection.

I’m a big fan of Blink pharmacies.
Free delivery and they undercut the chains. An example is 270 quantity of Sotalol for $45.25. I had a drug shipped usps priority for free with a drug that costs $20 (cvs wanted hundreds). They got the manufacturer I wanted.
October 07, 2022 03:51AM
I live in a small town, but it's on the outskirts of a medium-large city, and I included the entire state in my search, which means it included a large chunk of the NYC metro area. You don't get bigger than that in the US.

I looked up Blink pharmacies. They sell online and through all the big chains like Walmart, Kroger, etc. They're no mom and pop operation at all. I remain unconvinced that there are any mom and pop pharmacies to speak of left in the US.
October 07, 2022 05:51AM
Yes Blink contracts out the rx to big chains if you want to pick it up instead of mailed. It cost 3x I speculate because of kickbacks etc. Or you can order and they fill it themselves and ship to you for cheaper. I gave two numbers for a reason. They may use a different warehouse because cvs was unable to get one specific drug for me ($260)…plus Walgreens, Riteaid etc. blink had it with a manufacturer coupon they offered for $20 delivered. I’m a fan. Call and ask if they can get Sun brand.
October 08, 2022 11:00PM
Blink pharmacies. Thanks for the tip. I will keep their number on record for future reference in my search.

Pills arrived from Honeybee today. Unfortunately they were the wrong pills. They sent me a Tiazac generic instead of the Cardizem generic my doctor prescribed. A completely different med with a different therapeutic equivalency code in the FDA Orange Book (Cardizem and its generics are coded Ab3). I called them and they said they would mail a replacement next week. Took the NDC number from one of my old bottles so they would send the right stuff. We shall see how it goes. Sun brand generic Cardizem is what I am trying to obtain. Blue and white pill with 679 679 imprinted on it. They had a picture of it on their web page, and its what I ordered. I hope the right stuff comes this time. 5 years of normal sinus rhythm on it.
October 08, 2022 11:35PM
I went to Blink pharmacies web site, and couldn't find any way to order the specific generic brand I want.
October 09, 2022 01:53PM
Michael777

Call them. Excellent phone service. I supplied two numbers.
I went to Blink pharmacies web site, and couldn't find any way to order the specific generic brand I want.
October 10, 2022 12:18AM
Thank you. I did notice that they charge $300 for a 90 day supply compared to $200 for the other pharmacies. Still, it would be worth it if they give me the right stuff reliably.
October 11, 2022 08:42AM
I wrote to the manufacturer for a list of pharmacies that carry their product. I still haven't received an email from Honeybee that my replacement shipment has been sent. The adventure continues. I wish we could just buy this stuff OTC. It would be so much simpler, and cheaper.
October 13, 2022 09:37PM
Honeybee came through for me. A bottle of the correct pills arrived in the mail today. They are a reliable pharmacy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login