Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sciatica pain and AFib?

Posted by KiwiBlake 
Sciatica pain and AFib?
October 02, 2022 08:10PM
Hi all

Does anyone out in the AFibbers community get Sciatica pain?

Approx every 6 weeks I get Sciatica to the point that it is painful to walk. I have a few exercises/stretches that give some relief that were given to me by the physio. I normally take dichlofenac (brand name Voltaren), an over the counter medication from the Pharmacy. Normally the Sciatica pain resolves within 24-48 hours.

Does anyone know if there is a link to Afib or are they completely isolated conditions.

thanks
Blake
Re: Sciatica pain and AFib?
October 02, 2022 08:36PM
KiwiBlake
Does anyone know if there is a link to Afib or are they completely isolated conditions.

I don't know, but my guess would be unrelated.

Possibly referred pain from trigger points (localized muscle spasms). In these links, the white or black X's are where trigger points can be and the red stippled area is where referred pain can be. Potential muscles: [www.triggerpoints.net]

When you press relatively hard on the trigger points (TPs), they will feel much more discomfort than the surrounding areas with the same pressure.

There are a number of ways to release them.

1. Pressure: foam rollers and sorts of tools that apply pressure. My wife has a vibrating "peanut" that I use for this purpose. I will also put a roller on my vibration platform and work it out. Pressure with your hands (up to a pain level of 7 of 10) - like ironing in one direction only up to a count of 10. Then come back a few hours later. The hand pressure can be the slowest method.

2. Put the muscle into a position of slack and hold for 90 seconds. Easier if someone else is putting pressure on the TPs as you move the muscle. Objective before holding is for the TP pain to decrease by at least 2/3's.

3. Ice (with an ice pack) the TP muscles for 10-15 seconds, then stretch them.

4. Like 3, but first contract the TP muscles at 20-30% for 10-15 seconds, then contract the opposite muscles for the same (i.e. biceps & then triceps), then do the stretch.

If this sounds interesting, you can PM me with an email address & I'll send more info.
2. Put the mu
October 02, 2022 08:48PM
My experience with sciatica is it’s from a pinched nerve most likely from an alignment issue in the spine (lower back). It can express via pain in the legs, hips, back, etc. I have relieved the condition with stretches that open up the vertebrae in the spine. I don’t believe there is any connection with AFIB.

Steve
October 02, 2022 09:31PM
KiwiBlake

What kind of link are you thinking of? one triggers the other? or genetic predisposition to one is also a predisposition to the other?
October 02, 2022 11:31PM
Thanks everyone for their prompt replies.

In terms of a link, as the vagus nerve is involved with AF, do the various nervous systems work in isolation or are they linked? Does the sciatic nerve simply just run straight up the spine to the brain?

Also the reason I mentioned that I take dichlofenac, is there any risk of anti inflammatory meds to AF, or incompatibility issues with Flecanide and Diltiazem? Sometimes I also take ibuprofen. Its not something I've discussed with my GP (I probably should). I'm not a medical person, so I'm just putting it out there.

Thanks George for your tips, I'll look into these.

Blake
October 02, 2022 11:39PM
I don't think there's any connection whatsoever. Sciatica is all about the sciatic nerve running from your lower spine down to your feet. When something pinches it or irritates it, sciatica is what you get.
October 03, 2022 01:17PM
KiwiBlake
Hi all

I normally take dichlofenac (brand name Voltaren), an over the counter medication from the Pharmacy.
Blake

Voltaren has been a trigger for me in the past.

It seems diclofenac in not so good for afibbers.

[health.clevelandclinic.org]
October 03, 2022 02:22PM
Colido
Voltaren has been a trigger for me in the past.

It has been for me too.
October 03, 2022 09:33PM
Thanks for letting me know. I'll stop the voltaren.

How about Ibuprofen (Nurofen)? Is that a trigger?

How about Paracetamol?

I'm 20 days post my first ablation and no sign of AF yet, or any other flutters or abnormal beats.

Early days but I'm feeling good.

Thanks
October 04, 2022 08:45AM
Sounds like you are getting the info you were looking for. I might add that I looked on PubMed for papers that contained the two terms or variations, nothing much came up, but I'm no means an expert on literature searching. The takeaway from that lit search, for me, is that if there is a link, it hasn't been researched or studied, possibly due to priority or interest or prevalence or fashion or the potential results not being actionable. I can speculate on mechanisms underlining a link, but they are just the obvious ones and you've probably already considered those. Are your sciatica symptoms limited to one side or are they bilateral? Is it idiopathic or has imaging suggested an etiology, for example foraminal stenosis of one type or another? Anyway, it sounds like you are getting the info you were looking for, so I'll bow out here.
October 04, 2022 03:52PM
I have curiously read about sciatica, but not in many years. I don't suffer from it, although I sometimes have a lower back spasm that sometimes debilitates me for a few days.

I believe that sciatica is a direct result of two main influences: lack of core strength and abdominal muscle tone (possibly in the erector spinae as well), but also from being seated too long. Those who are thin and those who carry a lot of weight are more susceptible to the seated matter.
October 04, 2022 04:17PM
broadly, sciatica is due to foraminal stenosis, though there are other conditions which can mimic sciatica
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login