Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pericardial ablation

Posted by Mark 
Pericardial ablation
September 17, 2022 11:38PM
Friend just had a pericardial ablation. He said something about the procedure required deflating a lung. Also said he will have a second ablation in about a month. Still not in NSR and ecv attempts did not work. Sounds serious. Can anyone simplify?
Re: Pericardial ablation
September 17, 2022 11:51PM
I think what your friend meant was epicardial ablation. Easy mistake to make since the ablation involves entering the pericardial space, so I'm sure the doctors used both words in the same conversation.

This is how it works.

Did your friend have afib or something else? Epicardial ablations are usually used for arrhythmias they believe are originating on the outside walls of the heart, not the inside as with most arrhythmias.
September 18, 2022 11:08PM
Said he has/had aFib. Not sure he has a good handle on things. He did say something about the outside of the heart. Also said this was the more difficult of the two ablations he is having. As I mentioned he is still not in NSR and his bpm seem all over the place. He mentioned he’s on some meds but again not quite sure of things. Just wanted to give him word of encouragement.
September 18, 2022 11:37PM
Well, I've got no idea what to say since I have no idea what's going on with him. By any chance is he undergoing a Maze procedure?
September 19, 2022 11:18PM
Unfortunately my friend is three states away. When we have talked on the phone he does not seem very knowledgeable about what is going on. His wife seems to do most of the answering from the background. I’ll give it a few more days and try to understand things better. Thanks for your comments.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login