Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PACs and digestion

Posted by bettylou4488 
PACs and digestion
September 15, 2022 09:49PM
I know this has been discussed before and on the adrenaline post it is being touched on as well. I am 3 months out from my 2nd ablation (Had the first in Feb and second in June) ... it has been peachy keen except in the last week or so PACs have been so so so annoying. on and off.. And it seems to be related to food. Almost any food. I re-started Prilosec just for a bit but decided to switch to Pepsid (better for Mg and in general). Trying to eat small meals. I have other heart issues and I do try and walk daily but they were so annoying that I haven't done that for a week. Today I MADE myself go but didn't give myself any time/speed goals and they calmed down. I have uber stress in my life right now. Dad had hemoglobin down to 4. was in hosptial. My son is 22 with autism and has been a drain lately.

Anyway .. so what's my question. Eating and digestion. What can I do? I was vegan but about 6 months ago I said to myself that wasn't working and went more protein and veg. (by no means keto or even strict paleo.. but I don't do beans and grains all the time. my night time ice cream has been gone since February). Weight down 10 lbs. (I'm 5'2" and about 145 right now.. working to take off another 10 at least which is no small feat for a post menopausal woman! LOL!) I am on a tiny amount of flecaninde (50 am/pm.. all my ECG will allow). Curious what others do to help themselves with PACs and especially eating and PACs. Oh- and on stress.. Xanax does help these. Today I was at the doctor and I was just off the charts anxious.. Took half a tiny dose and everything chilled. But I also take them to sleep sometimes and I honestly don't want to continue that. (I take a ton of Mg of various types as well).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2022 10:05PM by bettylou4488.
Re: PACs and digestion
September 16, 2022 03:51AM
I'm curious too !
I think the problem comes from vagal tone, but how can we deal with that?
September 16, 2022 06:09AM
Try loud gargling, humming and singing. I do it around 4 to 5 times a day.😉🤭
Recommended to increase vagal tone.
September 16, 2022 08:49AM
ok that's interesting! I had been doing a lot of gargling.. and then stopped. going to do it again. thanks. worth trying!

JoyWin
September 16, 2022 10:30AM
JoyWin

No need to increase vagal tone for vagal afibbers. It's the opposite.
September 16, 2022 04:11PM
The Vagus nerve has many branches and filaments. If your stomach is too distended, if you have too much caffeine (which is my predicament as I post this and I'm in AF), if you have acid reflux, even acidic burps, if you bend over and increase tension in the abdomen, if you bear down to evacuate your bowels, even yawning, will bring on AF if you are sensitive to the Vagus nerve and all its vagaries.

You want calm, small meals (did I hear you mention weight loss?), low fat later in the day (it can interfere with sleep if your stomach has to process a lot of protein and fat into the late evening, and beyond), and to eat more deliberately so that you don't have to belch afterwads.
September 17, 2022 04:09AM
This is overly complex, and even more complex considering we're all different.
I'm 178cm, 65kg, active (bicycling, hiking) without excess, low to normal BP, no sleep apnea, no diabetes, normal heart chambers, no CV disease, no stomach reflux (I've had some years ago, while I was taking a PPI after my first ablation).
I've tried all kinds of diets and supplements.
Meds don't work except for unwanted effects.
4 ablations.
I eat small meals, nothing after 7:00PM. I'm in bed at 10PM. Breakfast between 6 and 7:00AM.
No alcohol except for just one glass occasionally, which has no effect. Caffeine (0 to 5 cups a day), has no effect at all.
I have quiet days and unquiet days. Undisturbable NSR vs lots of PACs. Runs of PACs can quickly turn to afib (self-ending about 1hr later), sometimes they're bigeminal and don't lead to afib.
I don't know WHY all that can happen. Genetics, for sure (both parents afibbers).
I can't predicate good or bad days, but the more successive good days I've had, the more likely a bad one is approaching.
Someone here talked about afib as a "clean and reset" phenomenon. It's roughly a weekly one for me.
September 19, 2022 10:25AM
Thanks all... yes agree complex. Was just kind of putting it out there. This weekend I went to help aging parents but also got to spend good family time with my brother and sister. no reflux. No pacs. Can anyone say stress? Could be chicken and egg. Reflux causing it.. or stress causing PACs.. idk. But I had a blast of a time going to my niece's high school football game. And then to her volleyball tournament. It was way fun and I don't do a lot of fun...

I can't change what is happening in my house on a daily basis but might take more over night breaks.. and more fun.. . but can't leave it all on the hubby either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login